• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Final spec for new HTPC build

Atomic Monkey

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I have been reading these forums for the last couple of months and firstly just want to say a MASSIVE thanks to all the various contributors to these forums. Moderators and posters alike. It has been more than a few years since I built my last rig and I had forgotten the hassles, pitfalls and the perils that come with doing it.

I have almost made myself sick with the deliberation and agonising over the choices to be made with my HTPC spec.

I have finally settled on a mid range system, that is going to be the main media centre for my 50" plasma. I will also be doing some gaming, but I'm not expecting bleeding frame rates for the near real life CRYSIS etc. It is also going to store all my and house mates BR, HD, DVD media and music and be used to stream to the other PC's in the house if required.

Any comments or advise (especially from anyone who has had problems with a similar setup) would be very welcome.

SilverStone SST-LC17B (Black) aluminium Front & SECC Body Desktop case (w/o PSU)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BlackEdition, Sok AM3, 3.2GHz, 8MB Total Cache, 125W, Retail
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, AMD 790X, S AM2/AM2+, PCI-E 2.0, DDR2 1333(OC), SATA 3Gbps, SATA RAID, ATX
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-6-6-18
3 x 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQ
1GB Asus HD5770, PCI-E 2.0(x16), 4800MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, 800 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/HDMI
LG CH08LS10.AUAR 8x Blu-Ray Reader & DVDRW - 16x DVD±R, 8x +RW, 6x -RW, 5x RAM, 4Mb Buf - Retail Box
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 - S1366/S1156/S775/AM3/AM2+/AM2/939 Up to 130 Watts
650W Corsair CMPSU-650TX, single 12V rail, energy efficient, quiet & cool, fully compatible
Keene IR Distribution AMP KIT inc STD Reveiver
Noah Company MediaGate GP-IR02BK Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate MCE Remote Control, 2 Channel IR (Black)
Keysonic Compact Wireless Keyboard with Integrated Touch Pad (2.4Ghz Radio Frequency, Notebook Layout)

The HDD's may seem overkill but I do have masses of stuff and plan to put it in a RAID for protection. Bye Bye DVD collection. The biggest problem I had was trying to decide on whether to stick to a budget or need vs performance etc.

I went through loads of different specs and had to reign myself in a bit from the Pentium i5 spec rig which was going to run me £500 for the CPU, MOBO and RAM combo.

With the combo I have decided on I could have just used an AMD Athlon II X2 250 3GHz as its only 50 quid, but since the Phenom is smoking and will fit the same MOBO and use DDR2 RAM I kind of went what the hell.

The only major concern I have is for the CPU cooler. It says it will fit the CPU but I'm not sure if its going to fit inside the case or not. Guess stuff like that might have to trial and error.

Well thanks in advance. I'm going to take some vino and aspirin now and break from the week glued to the laptop reading all this stuff. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom