Final Shortlist: Canon EOS 350d or Nikon D40??

• Thread starter Deleted member 152499
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 152499

Hi all, as the title, I've finally (after weeks of research) narrowed down my shortlist to the Canon EOS 350d and the Nikon D40.

Both of these cameras are stretching my budget to the maximum (both seem to be freely available around the £300 - £350 mark, depending where you look), but I feel either of these would be better suited to my improved photography ambition, rather than the Panny FZ8 'bridge' that I was originally considering.

From what I read on this forum, there appears to be some limitations with additional lenses for the D40, and other reviews tend to sway more favourably towards the Canon.

I've been driving Mrs AFC crazy with all this talk of cameras over the past month or so, so am looking to buy shortly, and just wanted to gauge some final thoughts from anyone who has personal experience with either of the above cameras.

From a usage point of view, I'll be using it very much as a 'family' camera initially (days out/daughter/general stuff) with a view of taking some scenic, panoramic, landscape, traffic trails, sunsets, sunrise type photographs in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

Any comments are greatly appreciated - must say this forum has been an absolute God send - I was a total noob about all this sort of thing a short while ago, and was even considering a Fuji F30 initially :suicide: Thanks to some great advice on here I think I'm now going to be making a far far better purchase - keep up the good work guys :thumbsup:

LeeroyB

I'm holding out to get the D40 mate and hoping someone will do the twin lens offer for £400. Unless the 400D comes back for £400 and then I'll get that!

D

Deleted member 152499

Thanks for your input guys - I'm currently the highest bidder on a brand new 350d + 4gb CF card at £200 including next day delivery - 5 hours left, and if I win, great, if not, then I think I'm gonna go for a D40. This 350d seemed like an opportunity for a bargain, especially as it includes a SanDisk Extreme III CF card....

Thanks again :thumbsup:

**UPDATE: Just been outbid - oh well, just need to source a well priced Nikon D40 now**

LeeroyB

D

Deleted member 152499

I did try Curry's and PC World when you posted the offer, but neither were in stock to deliver and there aren't any anywhere near the West Midlands for me to collect. Bummer!
I've just had a quick look on Dixons and they don't seem to have the offer at the moment http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...p_bound=0&criterion=d40&AtimeStamp=3353822247

:)

Did a similar search myself (living in Staffordshire) - there's nowhere round here that I can find with stock. The only place I could find was Sutton...heck of a drive though :thumbsdow

LeeroyB

Did a similar search myself (living in Staffordshire) - there's nowhere round here that I can find with stock. The only place I could find was Sutton...heck of a drive though :thumbsdow

Sutton.......really? That's stupidly close to me. What shop is that supposed to be please? It didn't show any available in Sutton when I checked :confused:

D

Deleted member 152499

Sutton.......really? That's stupidly close to me. What shop is that supposed to be please? It didn't show any available in Sutton when I checked :confused:

I think as in Sutton near Croydon, not Sutton Coldfield - sorry for getting your hopes up Leeroy :oops:

You going for the D40 then, assuming the £399 400d twin lens thing has come and more than likely gone??

LeeroyB

I think as in Sutton near Croydon, not Sutton Coldfield - sorry for getting your hopes up Leeroy :oops:

You going for the D40 then, assuming the £399 400d twin lens thing has come and more than likely gone??

I think so mate. I found the feel of the D40 suited me better than one of the other cams I'd tried. I really like the sound of having this second lens, as I think it would come in very handy in Brazil. But I leave next Thursday though so can't hang about for too long.

I have just stumbled across a new 400D with kit lens for £420 inc delivery though. An extra £20 compared to the offer last week, but still a decent saving it seems.

Do I go for the 400D, or hope that I can find a D40 with twin lens for the same price!? Decisions!

D

Deleted member 152499

I think so mate. I found the feel of the D40 suited me better than one of the other cams I'd tried. I really like the sound of having this second lens, as I think it would come in very handy in Brazil. But I leave next Thursday though so can't hang about for too long.

I have just stumbled across a new 400D with kit lens for £420 inc delivery though. An extra £20 compared to the offer last week, but still a decent saving it seems.

Do I go for the 400D, or hope that I can find a D40 with twin lens for the same price!? Decisions!

Hmmm, decisions decisions......work colleague of mine brought in his Nikon D80 yesterday - was the final nail in the coffin for any other camera that wasn't a DSLR - I was like a kid in a sweetshop, I mean this thing was awesome....felt right, looked right, easy to use, just fantastic.....if a D40 is half as good as a D80 then I'll be well impressed :thumbsup:

I was never over enamoured with the 1.8" LCD on the Canon 350d - I understand the 400d has a larger screen, but that is a stretch too far budget wise..........reckon about £300 should get me D40 with Kit Lens to get me started.......can't wait :devil:

LeeroyB

Hmmm, decisions decisions......work colleague of mine brought in his Nikon D80 yesterday - was the final nail in the coffin for any other camera that wasn't a DSLR - I was like a kid in a sweetshop, I mean this thing was awesome....felt right, looked right, easy to use, just fantastic.....if a D40 is half as good as a D80 then I'll be well impressed :thumbsup:

I was never over enamoured with the 1.8" LCD on the Canon 350d - I understand the 400d has a larger screen, but that is a stretch too far budget wise..........reckon about £300 should get me D40 with Kit Lens to get me started.......can't wait :devil:

I wouldn't have any problems with buying a D40 now Lee. To start off with I was worried about lens problems etc, but the more I read about people who have one and don't really seem to have a bad word to say about it, the more I think that these problems wouldn't be that much of a huge factor.

The small LCD screen (as well as the look and general feel) of the D50 was why I've decided not to go for that.

Yandros

Be aware that the D40 is a lot smaller, lighter and less solid feeling than the D80. If you haven't been into Currys/Jessops etc to have a play with the 350D/D40, it might be a good idea before you make a final decision.

D

Deleted member 152499

Be aware that the D40 is a lot smaller, lighter and less solid feeling than the D80. If you haven't been into Currys/Jessops etc to have a play with the 350D/D40, it might be a good idea before you make a final decision.

To be honest, I'm quite happy to have something that's a little more compact than the big daddy DSLRs (it'll certainly speed up funds being released by Mrs AFC if there's some semblence of aesthetic appeal).

Good idea though - at the moment I'm definitely swaying towards the D40, but will take a visit to Currys this weekend to have a play with (hopefully) both the 350d and D40.

BTW - how do you get rid of the, perhaps pushy, Sales Assistant that will be hawking my every move when playing with said cameras?? Don't suppose telling him I'm just sizing them up before buying online at far reduced prices is likely to go down too well :rolleyes:

LeeroyB

BTW - how do you get rid of the, perhaps pushy, Sales Assistant that will be hawking my every move when playing with said cameras?? Don't suppose telling him I'm just sizing them up before buying online at far reduced prices is likely to go down too well :rolleyes:

When I went in to get a feel I just said I'm considering the D40 and 400D and wondered if I could have a play with them. After I'd had a play I just said "Hmmm, think I might spend another day doing a bit of research before I make my final decision". They just said ok, hopefully we'll see you tomorrow!

Yandros

Oh, and no offence meant to the staff at Currys (I worked at Dixons many moons ago!), but ignore 90% of what they say unless you get an obvious expert, because their knowledge may well begin and end with what it says on the price ticket. I went in to play with a D40 a few weeks back, and I was a little mean, and asked the assistant what the difference was between the D40, 400D and D80. He didn't have a clue.

A

andyhull

hi there where did you see the offer for the 400d lens kit for £420, missed out on the tesco offer and could really do with this camera.
is that the price with or without the canon cashback promotion ?

senu

Distinguished Member

We know!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Rather nice Pic :smashin:BTW ( a bit large though):(

To the OP ,Unless you must buy Canon ,bear in mind that the 400D is (IMO) better than the D40 in many ways....and very similar in others.
It is not quite in the D80 league although paper specs are similar

The 350D is very good but 26 months on , it may be unfairly compared to the newer D40 which ( despite a few misgivings which may not bother you) is very very capable and may be all you'll want
Use you money carefully and remember the ..cards, extra battery, tripod ( lenses.. flash).. will soon be clamouring to be bought:eek:

D

Deleted member 152499

**POST CURRYS VISIT UPDATE**

Well, after a visit to Currys last night, and a play around with a Nikon d40 and a Canon 400d (they didn't have a 350d, so used the 400d as a rough comparison), I'm 110% decided that the Nikon is the baby for me. Felt perfect in my hand, not too small, nice solid build quality, and for around £300 including kit lens to get me started, right on budget.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nikon D40 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022