Final short list of 2020 tvs

Thanks again for both further replies and for the offer (Boostrail) of a viewing ( we are not, however,in your vicinity). I will have to make a decision this weekend as the 2020 models that I was interested in seem to have virtually sold out, especially if I hope to get a free extended guarantee.

Maybe I will wait for a year to see how the whole HDR issue pans out. I would expect, based on the discussion, to see forums and magazines filled with complaints from people who have bought' smaller' tvs in the last couple of years......

Its not just a matter of doing 'HDR justice' unfortunately. TVs that cannot get bright and don't have good enough local dimming cannot display HDR without adverse effects such as the picture being too dark, or it being washed out.

Its all to do with tone mapping and the master/director intent. Squishing down 1000 nits masters, or worse 4000 nits to lower nit levels does not work well. Although perhaps in some titles it will be ok.

With an OLED you're into a different territory completely, assuming of course the newer 42" OLEDs will mimic the 48" models. 700 nits whilst not being up to the 1500 of high end LCD TVs is not as much of a disadvantage due to an OLEDs ability to individually dim each pixel, and display blacks as total black.

The XH8505 is a very expensive TV for what you get. You're paying a premium fee really for a 120hz panel. The TV still falls short with HDR picture quality due to low peak brightness and lack of local dimming. Whats more, at 43" the TV is using an IPS panel instead of VA at 49", and therefore the contrast is abysmal.

In my opinion if the OP does want to change TVs he should first determine which panel type is suited, IPS or VA. Then take the choice from there. Its a good idea to spend little rather than more due to the problem these TVs will all have displaying HDR content and its also advisable to pair the TV with an external smart system so you can disable HDR on the HDMI port.

Its becoming harder and harder to recommend small TVs because its harder and harder to avoid HDR nowadays. If the OPs usage doesn't include any HDR at all - perhaps only broadcast TV then its not important, but if they like most people want an avenue in to the world of streaming and HDR then buying a smaller TV is not a good idea at all.

I understand what you mean by conflicting advice, but didn't you, yourself also come to the same conclusion I suggested? That you needed to opt for a bigger TV to get something worthwhile?

I trust from your recent comments that you've been happy with that decision. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure you'd have been happy instead going with a 43" model.
Hi Dodge
Just to set the record straight a 43" model was never on my agenda. Based on constraints of furniture around TV position I decided that 49" was the max that could be accommodated. However encouraged by other posters to go 55" I made a cardboard cut out and tried it but it looked ridiculous positionaly and would have given distorted viewing angles to one side. All I am saying now is that having the 49" model I ( and particularly other half) can see that a 55" would not have been out of place in the size of our lounge if it could have been accommodated without modifying custom built furniture.

I am somewhat pleased that I did not go for the 55" as the 49" does not have the wide angle or anti reflection enhancement . Consequently the 49" has a significantly higher contrast ratio.
I was dead worried about viewing angle but by slightly re-arranging seating I reduced viewing angles to less than 25deg to each side and have no perception of degradation but any more and yes it is apparent at bigger angles. I also have no problem with reflections despite TV facing extensive south facing windows.

I am delighted with this 49XH9505 TV . Upscaling of HD sources is amazing as is SDR brightness and colour rendition. Biggest disappointment is that I expected a bigger differential between SDR and HDR - yes its better but not eye popping so?
Apologies did not realise that 43" XH8505 was IPS not VA

Last edited:
Hi Dodge
Just to set the record straight a 43" model was never on my agenda. Based on constraints of furniture around TV position I decided that 49" was the max that could be accommodated. However encouraged by other posters to go 55" I made a cardboard cut out and tried it but it looked ridiculous positionaly and would have given distorted viewing angles to one side. All I am saying now is that having the 49" model I ( and particularly other half) can see that a 55" would not have been out of place in the size of our lounge if it could have been accommodated without modifying custom built furniture.

I am somewhat pleased that I did not go for the 55" as the 49" does not have the wide angle or anti reflection enhancement . Consequently the 49" has a significantly higher contrast ratio.
I was dead worried about viewing angle but by slightly re-arranging seating I reduced viewing angles to less than 25deg to each side and have no perception of degradation but any more and yes it is apparent at bigger angles. I also have no problem with reflections despite TV facing extensive south facing windows.

I am delighted with this 49XH9505 TV . Upscaling of HD sources is amazing as is SDR brightness and colour rendition. Biggest disappointment is that I expected a bigger differential between SDR and HDR - yes its better but not eye popping so?
Apologies did not realise that 43" XH8505 was IPS not VA
Ah my bad, I forgot it was 55" you couldn't fit.

Unfortunately for the OP choice is even worse at 43" to 49" and there's no circumstances at all which make a TV better at 43" to 49/50". The loss of the wide viewing angle filter on the 49" XH9505 does give a by product of a better contrast ratio, but its unusual.

Take Samsung products for example. They too also lack the wide viewing angle filter at smaller sizes, but they also run there smaller TVs with 60hz panels instead of 120hz unlike Sony.
I think the OP should try the cardboard cut out method to see how it looks. I went from a 43" to a 65" and wish I'd have gone bigger.

HDR depends on the title really. Some are fake HDR, some are more striking than others. It should deliver impact in the form of better colour, more colour volume and greater contrast. In my experience I've found UHD Blu-Rays far more impressive than anything streamed on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom