1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final PW6 connection query - help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Unlight, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi there,

Im finally ready to purchase a nice Panasonic PW6. However, Im a bit puzzled about the connections i need.

Basically - these are the things I need to connect - freeview box via Scart, Xbox, Gamecube and DVD player via component.

I am also about to purchase a Denon 3805 which has 3 component ins and one out, perfect for the 3 sources I need.

Obviously, I will need a Scart board, its the second connection that is puzzling me - the component issue. Would it be suitable to just use a component to VGA cable from the Denon to the VGA port on the PW6? Would I lose anything by doing this? Just seems cheaper than buying a component board as well, then having to buy another RCA to RCA cable.

If anyone could help, it would be very much appreciated!

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The scart terminal board is BAD, nasty, nasty, nasty PQ
    The JS Scart plasma to VGA is very good.

Why not get the component board, and a JS box, then you will be really happy with PQ.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PJ, really the scart board is simply not as bad as you seem to think. Certainly the js box is better, and only a bit more money, but for some installs there is a real call for the scart board, like a VCR and sky box on 1 input, or some such. It accepts composite and RGB without recourse to a setup menu. But in the case of a 3805 owner, there may be no need at all. You might want to use a RGB-YUV converter for freeview, maybe pass another RGB device through as well, but remember the Denon will upconvert any s-video sources you connect as well, and with a console, that doesn't look too shabby. Therefore you don't need a board at all, just the 3 phono to 15pin cable. If they chuck in the scart board, they are very useful, an easy to make connection for that 'just out of the box' moment, and for visiting digicam owners, any old AV kit you want to connect on the spur of the moment. Don't knock the scart board too hard.

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ah cool,

So what I could do would be, connect the Xbox, Gamecube and DVD player via the component ins, then the Sky and whatever else via S Video, the only extra I would need to buy would be the component to VGA cable? :D

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    MAW
    I am sitting here watching dvd thru JS, and dvd thru SCART board The SCART terminal board is far worse than anyone here has described. When compared to the JS box. I would describe the picture thru the SCART terminal board as total SH@t. I do understand that everyone has different tolerences to picture dedgradation, I don't mind "grainy" pictures at all but I just can't tolerate the screen "colour crawl" on solid colour blocks that the scart board produces. (no probs on movie/normal tv but xbox & cartoons...Yuck)

No-one is chucking the SCART board in for nowt tho, AV-sales are effectively charging £140 for it .... why pay a premium price for second rate kit?
    (as Nexnix will sell you the PWD6 for £1710 inc delivery and the JS box for £120, and the double width component/s-video/composite board for £120)
    The philips dvdr75 (with tuner) at £169 also will upconvert looped thru composite and s-video to RGB and has front composite/s-video/firewire, so if you really need other inputs, might as well get a dvd recorder and tuner for free all in one.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PJ there's something wrong with the setup on your scart connection, you should be able to see the difference, but it's icing on the cake, not chalk and cheese. And if he's planning on a 3805, I can assure you it's way way better at upconversion than a DVDR75, and the analogue tuner in there should have been strangled at birth.

Unlight, I'd get a JS YUV converter for a sky box, connect with s-video too, then you have the perfect use for a scart board. With a bit of cleverness, you can use the 2nd zone facility to give you switchable picture in picture, it's a hoot!

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    well if anyone wants to buy a new SCART terminal board, just PM me.
    As far as I am concerned it's rubbish.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just getting rid of most of my 6 series boards, some interesting developments are heaving up over the horizon. Nothing we haven't been doing before, but it won't 1/2 make my life easy!

9. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    oops, looks like i made a mistake.

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tell all .... :)

ZedZed

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not available for public release. Joe will tell all when it's OK to do so, very soon I gather.

12. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmm I'm rather confused really!

So, basically - are all my component connections ok if i loop them through the 3805, with a component to VGA lead? So I dont need a component board right?

Or should I get the RCA board as standard, use a component to component lead from the 3805, then buy a Scart to VGA adaptor, and use that for Sky? All sound ok, or is there a better way of doing things?