Final Pantasy

P

plasmattack

What’s this Final Fantasy X all about, then? Knowing little about the game other than what I have read in these threads, I fork out forty tabs and load it up in anticipation…

Cue long intro, which is fine – gives me time to swot up on the literature.

Finally, the chance to start a new game. Having selected this, my brow furrows as we seem to be returning to the intro. Ah, patience is evidently required: finally it switches to something different, a futuristic scene with children and plinky-plonky (a scientific term) music. Cue movie scenes. I read the bumph a second time.

Okay, we’re outside and ready to rock. “Maverick, you have the ball,” I’m thinking. Let’s try throwing some shapes here. Left joystick does what it should but none of the other buttons seems to do anything at all. A quick glance at the manual reveals that X lets me speak. I approach the crowd of kids and lay some lyrics.

“Will you sign my ball?” I’m asked. Er, no thanks. I could get arrested for that sort of thing. But I don’t have any choice as the game launches into another film sequence.

Time passes. It seems I need to have intercourse (literal, not paedophilic) with three groups of kids before I can move on. Then I find myself in front of a large poster. Is another film clip about to start? To my surprise I do have control so I trot off along some futuristic causeway – not very challenging, although temptation gets the better of me and I chat to a couple of elderly dudes en route before the “game” takes over again.

So, to the blitzball arena. I’m back in charge and my task is to climb the stairs, avoiding autograph hunters. I’m prepared to admit that I manage this with some aplomb, achieving an impregnable 5.5 seconds (Omega timing) before – you guessed it – I’m reaching for the popcorn again.

Once blitzball is out of the way and the arena has collapsed, I find myself outside. Wait, a grey map appears: I’m the yellow arrow and I need to head towards the red arrow. Surely this is the moment I’ve been waiting for.

No. Another three seconds of control passes without any sort of workout for hands or mind. When will it all get going?

Then Auron hands me a sword. Yes! Well, yes and no. Turn-based combat is fine, but my third battle involves a few swift thrusts at some creatures that are able to defy death, only to be told by Auron that I should, in fact, be aiming at some glowing, throbbing contraption off to the right (which was not an option, initially). Hmmm.

[Man, this post is dragging – that’s how I felt last night.]

I persevere. I’m in some giant float tank with the helpful instruction: “O: swim down”. I flap around before the projectionist interrupts again. Then, a not-too-difficult swim and I’m on dry land. Those narrow stone walkways look tricky but I decide to experiment: what if I jump off…? No, can’t do that. Instead, the path collapses and I get to “fight” some giant lizard with an exposed ribcage. There’s no way I can beat this thing so I opt for the “Retreat” option. Hang on, that’s been disabled. Before I can say my prayers, though, the film director spots an exit and has me swimming for it.

I punch the Off switch and go to bed.

A lot of people say this game is good. Can anyone assure me that things get better or should I be filing Final Fantasy X under “P” for Pants?

Things do get better.

It does kind of push you in one direction to begin with, but the game does soon open up.

But if you dont like turn based fighting then best leave it well alone !

Originally posted by Pakehurst
But if you dont like turn based fighting then best leave it well alone !

It's not this that's bothering me - I knew it was a turn-based game before I dug deep. I just want to know whether the film sequences peter out and the grey map areas offer more than just a lull between these sequences.

If I wanted to watch a movie I could have bought a DVD for considerably less.

I think you will be disappointed, the whole final fantasy series is really an interactive movie. Yes, it is an RPG, but it is very lateral (FFX is one of the worst for this!) you will be guided from scene to another without really having to put much thought in apart from battling monsters. There are a couple of tricky puzzles along the way too.

However, the beauty of the FF series are the storylines, you are supposed to get involved and enjoy the story at the same time enjoying powering up your characters.

That is really what Japanese RPGs are about, Western RPGs are generally about choice and sub-quests. Japanese tend to be about character interactions and story.

TBH, either you love the FF series or you don't. Stick with it, personally I loved the cut scenes, thought they were really great, however some of the voice acting was awful!

Originally posted by Sinzer
That is really what Japanese RPGs are about, Western RPGs are generally about choice and sub-quests. Japanese tend to be about character interactions and story.

Okay, would you care to recommend a Western RPG?

I don't like FFantasy either!

Never have, I have tried many times, just does not float my boat!

Yeah, this is why I gave up on the Final Fantasy games... far too linear. I like freedom in my games, and I don't like being dragged along on some storyline, no matter how great it is. I can understand why people like them, but the series just isn't for me.

And for the record, I love turn-based RPGs.

I have never bothered with any of the final fantasy games, the whole RPG genre, has never really appealed to me.

Ummmmm, let me see, there are no real Western RPGs on the PS2 that I can think of.

The closest you get is Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, fairly linear but it is an action RPG like Diablo.

You are better off with a PC for games like Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Seige, Icewind Dale plus tonnes of online only affairs.

I take it you have a PAL PS2? You could look at getting some PS1 RPGs, FF7 is worth a look, far less linear than FFX. Very hard to recommend PAL RPGs, we hardly have any.

If you have NTSC you could get ChronoCross, Suikoden III (they are Jap but slightly less linear I believe).

I've played about 6 ***, and FFX is by far the most linear game of them all, you're guided through the game right up until the end, when you can start doing some sidequests. That said, you do get more freedom then what you have experienced during the first 30 minutes of play.

I would say, however, that is still is a great game. Fantastic graphics, great voice-acting, good storyline and music.

If it's not your cup of tea though, then so be it.

Other japanese RPGs are not as lineair as FFX. In fact, you have a considerable amount of freedom in most other ***, as well as games like Chrono Cross and Grandia.

You should not forget though, that japanese RPGs are always telling a long story. You simply cannot give players too much freedom in these games.

Personally I don't like the hack/slash style of western RPGs.

I have only played number 7 and it's a classic.

I might see if i can get number 8-10 somehow :)

If you have a GBA look at Golden Sun. Its outstanding RPG and I'm not a fan of them either. PC owners should look at Wizardry also.

Neil.

I'm a bit late with this reply but most people know what they are getting involved in when they play a Final Fantasy title. Yes it starts off slow but FFX is really a turn based RPG for the masses much like how FF7 was back in the day. FFX holds your hand throughout the whole game and is generally easy until you dig deep into the sphere board (great invention IMO) and construct your character from scratch.

FFX does indeed pick up and while the story is clichéd it is still entertaining and does enough to draw you in deeper into the game.

For those who want more of a traditional turn based RPG you should hunt down Star Ocean II and BoF IV on the PSX as well as Grandia. Hell get that PSX/PS2 modded and a whole new ball game is available to you - XenoGears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics and Dragon Quest VII just to name a few... XenoSaga will be out this month followed by Star Ocean III, Unlimited Saga and a few others.

For those who have yet to experience any of these RPGS and don't mind spending some quality time with them... I can recommend that you do so. Many of these are hidden gems (Valkyrie Profile and DQVII especially).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom