Final decision...£500 to £900 budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by infinitydreams, Nov 17, 2017.

1. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was looking at the Sony DN1080 but I need a receiver that can properly switch between TV and Projector.

I’m not just about to push the button on a Marantz SR7011 which would be a big investment for me.

Any other options before I hit the BUY button?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    What do you mean by "I need a receiver that can properly switch between TV and Projector"? The 2 mirrored/parallel outputs onboard the Marantz model would work in the same way as the 2 outputs on the Sony receiver. The only real difference is that rather than having the opportunity to switch the second output to being a dedicated second zone output as is the case with the Sony, the Marantz receiver has a third dedicated second zone output.

3. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was led to believe that mirror option didn’t work properly when you had different resolutions etc and that sound issues happened as well.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    That would still be an issue with whatever receiver you use. THe receiver cannot scale down the resolution output to your PJ and can only mirror the video. If worried about the lesser device effectig what a source such as a Blu-ray or UHD player can output then I'd suggest you turn the PJ off at the mains while not in use. This will prevent it sending a return EDID to a source which will determine what resolution the source can output.

No idea about specific issues with the Sony though.

5. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’m more confused than ever now. I was told that receivers like the 7011 that had proper independent outputs worked better in TV/Projector type setups.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179

No, it has 2 mirrored outputs for use in the main room. The independent output is the third output associated with a second zone and you'd not use this for either your TV or PJ in the main room. The second zone output simply passes through any HDMI source selected for ZONE 2. The receiver plays no part in processing either the video or the audio signal associated with the second HDMI zone.

No AV receiver has independent scaling relative to its different HDMI outputs. A source will always use the least capable device's abilities to determine what it can output and AV receivers do not incorporate EDID management that would override this.

You can set the HDMI output to either Monitor 1 or 2 within the Marantz receiver's settings in order to prevent the PJ being able to converse with the source while in standby, but this setting has no discrete key on the remote and you'd need to go into the receiver's settings to switch the output from Monitor 1 to 2. The AUTO option would still result in the least able device determining the sources output.

7. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh that’s annoying.

My TV is 4K but not HDR.

I’m probably going to buy either the Epson 7300/9300 or the new native 4K Sony.

I was hoping to simply be able to switch between both depending if it was day time viewing or night time cinema

8. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, based on what you’ve said where is £500 to £900 best spent on a AV Receiver for my needs?

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    Your initial choice of the SR7011 is a good one and I don't think you'd get better given your budget? I'd get a move on though or there'll be none left in stock anywhere.

10. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’m torn between the SR7011 and the Denon 3400 and saving myself £100, it’s only £100 but I need lots more kit, but I equally hate buying something then wishing I’d just got the proper one!

11. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’m also keen to understand if the Marantz or Denon are good at low listening levels, I quite often watch films myself late at night so want a system with good control.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    The SR7011 is far better value for your money. It is basically no different to the SR7012 that replaces it, but that receiver would cost you £1.5K.

Both the DEnon and Marantz include the same Audyssey Dynamic Volume which can be used to enhance quieter aspects of audio at lower listening levels. Neither would include anything that the other lacks in terms of low volume listening.

13. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’d canned the DN1080 as I didn’t think it would work with two devices...now I’m weighing up £500 vs £900

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    In the Sony receiver's HDMI settings, set the HDMI OUT setting to B if wanting mirrored outputs. Set the same setting to ZONE if wanting to use the second output as a dedicated secondond HDMI zone output.

15. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hopefully others weigh in to provide final guidance

16. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Or are people using. Good quality switches? To select TV or Projector?

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    An HDMI switch has multiple inputs and only one output. If you were to use an external device then it would be a splitter or matrix and not an HDMI switch.

The receiver has an integral splitter so why would you need an external splitter.?

18. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    It depends what your priorities are from the receiver. Taking the connections out of the equation, imo the sony cannot hold a candle to the marantz sound quality wise and that's from experience testing both models. I heard a 1060 compared to a lower tier Denon 2300 and again, to me there was no comparison.

19. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Yamaha receivers? If the others work like mine (RX-V781) - output switching is simple and on the remote. I think output selection is stored in scenes as well.

20. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’m happy to take on other options. I need to buy this weekend.

My setup will be 5.1.2 with a TV and Projector, happy to spend between £500 and £900 so just looking for the best I can get.

21. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Further to above my sources will be Sky Q and X800.

Ideally want to purchase today so ideas welcome.

22. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This was the email I got from Peter Tyson when I asked about using the DN1080 with TV and Projector vs the Marantz 7011.

“Plus you will be able to handle your TV and Projector outs from the HDMI menu - no need to unplug/replug the connectors at the back.
    Alex”

Which led me to believe that the Sony wouldn’t handle switching well, when the Marantz I could just do it from the menu.

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    You'd have to go into the Marantz receiver's HDMI settings where there's an option to have the output set to AUTO (Both outputs active), Monitor 1 or Monitor 2.

You are putting too much importance upon this. You'd simply need to turn off the PJ or the TV at the mains when not in use if using a receiver that has no HDMI mirrored output switching options. Plus the fact that you cannot simply press a button on the Marantz and would need to go into its settings in order to change which output is being used.

Yamaha receivers that include 2 HDMI outputs do include a discrete button on their remote that is used to select which output to use. The options would be either off, one, the other or both. The setting can also be saved and stored within one of the receivers quick select SCENE modes.

Current Yamaha models with 2 HDMI outs are:
    RX-A870
    RX-A1070
    RX-A2070
    RX-A3070

24. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting, I haven’t read much about the Yamaha receivers, how do they compare to say the DN1080 or SR7011?

25. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    You pay a premium for their superior build and construction. THey are built like the proverbial outhouse. You'd probably get better value for money with the Marantz receiver when compared to the A870 which is only a 7 channel receiver.

26. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Also last year's models are mostly still available and cheaper. There is also the much cheaper RX-V781 (from last year if it is still available) that also has dual out with output selection stored in one of 4 scenes - I use this for sending output to an old small FHD PC monitor in music modes instead of my 4K OLED TV (mostly static images for hours on end are not good for OLEDs).

If you have logitech harmony hub/remote, then you can get that to choose the scene for the activity during switch-on for eg "Watch TV" -> TV, "Watch Movie" -> Projector for eg. It works well.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  27. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think my choices are back to:

Sony DN1080
    Denon 4300
    Marantz 7011

The only reason I’m holding back on the Marantz or Denon is they are £400 more which is basically a sub or surrounds...however, I don’t want to buy the Sony and be disappointed.

Hate making decisions like this...

28. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    7011 all day long. If you listen to a lot of late night movies on your lonesome then why not invest in a good pair of open back earphones. I can atest to how good the headphone circuits are on both Denon and Marantz.

29. infinitydreams

infinitydreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is like having a devil on my shoulder saying “buy the expensive one, do it, buy it”

30. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    It is actually a parrot. Richer Sounds train them to fly into people's homes and persuade people to buy stuff :lesson:

Get an eye patch and lose a leg and you can pretend to be a pirate.