Final Cut Pro and 13" Macbook Pro

cooksyuk

Banned
Hi there, quick question.

Right now i have a late 2008 Macbook Pro 15" and it runs Final Cut Pro fine.

But early next year i am going to be doing some traveling and would really like a newer model 13" macbook pro for portability etc but thing is i do alot of video editing with Final Cut and would like to know if the 2010 13" Macbooks could run Final Cut fine or even better if anyone has had any first hand experience with this.

Thanks and hope to hear back with some reply's :thumbsup:

RidleyDeckard

I'll admit I don't use Final Cut Pro, but I do do a lot of After Effect and my one comment would be screen size is everything, the bigger the screen the easier it is to work on. The power supply is the same size and weight, so I don't think you'd gain much by going down to a 13". I've got a 17" MBP and travel all over the country and world with it, and I've never wish I gone for a small screen.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I do use FCP on my 17" MBP with a 1920x1200 screen. My wife has a 13" MacBook & I can't imagine ever using FCP on that as it only has a screen resolution of 1280x800. The new 13" MacBook Air has a 1440x900 which is the same resolution as the base model MBP. There is an optional 1680x1050 high resolution option for the 15" MBP.

cooksyuk

Banned
I'll admit I don't use Final Cut Pro, but I do do a lot of After Effect and my one comment would be screen size is everything, the bigger the screen the easier it is to work on. The power supply is the same size and weight, so I don't think you'd gain much by going down to a 13". I've got a 17" MBP and travel all over the country and world with it, and I've never wish I gone for a small screen.

Hmm maby i will just stick with my 15" then.

Im going to go to PCWorld tonight tho to go play around with a 13" laptop see how it feels, only concern is with this macbook i have now is that it doesnt have applecare no more, it runs perfect but its always a worry.

P.s sorry for being nosy but what kind of career do you have that requires you to travel so much, sounds awesome.

RidleyDeckard

P.s sorry for being nosy but what kind of career do you have that requires you to travel so much, sounds awesome.

I work in the conference industry help people run and produce presentations, so far this year I've been to Hungary (twice), Spain (three times), Portugal, France, Germany, Amsterdam, Dubai, Pakistan, India, Russia and Singapore (it's been a good year for travel!), and your right it is awesome!

cooksyuk

Banned
I work in the conference industry help people run and produce presentations, so far this year I've been to Hungary (twice), Spain (three times), Portugal, France, Germany, Amsterdam, Dubai, Pakistan, India, Russia and Singapore (it's been a good year for travel!), and your right it is awesome!

Wow very good :smashin:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
only concern is with this macbook i have now is that it doesnt have applecare no more, it runs perfect but its always a worry
If it ever had AppleCare then it should still be covered as it is valid for 3 years after date of purchase.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Been umming and ahhing over my next MBP. I manage a small post production company that has a team of editors working on Mac Pro based FCP workstations. I wanted something that if I needed to cut a few jobs on if one of the team was ill or on leave. Needed to be powerful enough and offer enough screen res so editing wasn't a chore. In the end I pulled the trigger on a 17" Core i5 2.66GHz with an extra 4GB of RAM purchased in the recent crucial/kingston deals that were floating about. I was very conscious of size as I wanted it to be portable (you might have seen some of the threads where I was asking opinions), in the end performance and comfort won it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom