1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

final conflict - cut?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ignatious, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got round to watching this from the r2 box set (OK, OK it was cheap) and think its been cut a little.

The scene in question is where damian is 'blooding' peter after the fox hunt. As far as I recall, in the original version, Peter started to lick the blood from the hanky and followed this with an evil, sort of 'come hither' look. In the new version, the licking of the blood has been 'removed' so it now looks as though the evil 'come hither' look is a reaction to the touch of Damian's hand!

This looks far more dodgy and sinister than it would have been had they simply left the thing alone! Who are these idiots?

I realise I should probably get a life.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard of this but look here:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Class...36463A81479EFD0F80256AB0002B9279?OpenDocument

If that is the movie you are referring to, then it looks like it has been cut from the previous video release by about 5 minutes (it was 108m 10s in 1986, now it is 103m 46s). These cuts would not have been made by the BBFC but by the studios.

If you look at the film running time, however, it looks like the new video release is truer (though perhaps not identical) to the original theatrical release than the previous video release was (bearing in mind that PAL runs about 4% faster than film).

3. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta, I had a feeling it was a studio botch job rather than a BBFC cut.

I think the longer running time on the original video release is probably due to the transfer technique, dont know how, but I have an old copy somewhere and it really is an appallingly bad transfer even by 80's VHS standards. It looked like the poorest sort of NTSC transfer. The bit I described above is the only cut I can see.