1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

final choice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by radeon, Nov 6, 2003.

1. radeon

radeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After posting on the board last week and doing some intensive resarch i have come down to three choices of new tv for under £600 pounds. anybody out there own one of these and reckon it the best of the bunch. Or can anybody out there say they have a better 32" flatscreen under £600 which they rekon is better than all three.
    Anyones imput at this junction would be helpfull as i am unsure between the three but drawn to the JVC.

Toshiba 37Z33
    JVC 32T25
    Sharpe 32JF73H

P.s. Form this message board i get the impression that there is no tv from £400-2000 that dosent have some sort of problems.
    but as i see it not every model of a particular brand can be faulty i just recon there are bad batches. If this is no the case then review magazines are a disgrace and there must be some serious glossing over of the tv inherent faults to bump up sales

2. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too posted on the board last week about 3 TV's and got no replies... I wish i could help you out but I'm not exactly an expert. My choices were Toshiba 32z33, JVC 32T25 and also a philips one that i have now found out is above my budget.

Bear in mind I said I am no expert, I have heard that Sharp TV's are not that great, But I havent had any experience of them. I tend to be edging towards the Toshiba one but any help would be greatly appreciated from someone knowledgable!

Chris

3. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered the toshiba one. If i get it before you order yours ill tell you how i get on.

Good luck :)

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Korcha,

Can you let me know how you get on with the Tosh, this is also on my short list.

THanks very much

Scrapbook

5. radeon

radeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply guys appreciate it looks like no one on the board has these tv's may be to new. On the upside i havent seen lots of problems associated with these models. this may be a blessing in disguise.
    Anyway let me know how you get along with your tosh.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    32z33 was previously known as the 32z23 - so you may want to check the forums under this model number

7. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to be some mixed opinions on the z23, but this seems to be the case for almost every TV. So hard to choose one ! I just decided to take the plunge and hope for the best.

8. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in the JVC but I had a look at the Panasonic TX32ps5 £664 Digtal Direct, slightly over my budget but looks a good telly, not available in JL for price match. I'd appreciate any advice..
    Thanks

9. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't recommend panasonic because I had a very bad experience with one (TX28 PS12). I had 4 different ones and eventually asked for a refund. It was mainly because of the geometry, but 2 of the 4 had a 'stain' behind the screen and 1 had a white line down the middle.

However i'm sure some people will swear by panasonic because they were lucky enough to get a good one. After reading through these forums it seems like most TV's are good but you are lucky if you get one that works perfectly.

If you do go the panasonic route then good luck, but I personally dont recommend them :)

Don't know much about the JVC except that it got pretty decent reviews on the net and it was also one of my choices before i decided on the toshiba.

10. radeon

radeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After waiting ages i have decided to take the pluge myself and go for the JVC 32T25 the review of it seams alright haven't seen to many problems associated with it and its quite cheap at £550 inc delivery. If worse come to worse and its crap i will just send
    it back it's not the end of the world just one of those things.

11. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds a good deal Radeon, where did you get it?

12. radeon

radeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

found the AV32T25 for £550 at digital direct uk. never done any
    business with them before so we will see how it goes. hope this helps.

13. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Finding it hard to choose. There seem to be bad reports on Pannys on here but every dealer I speak to reckons they are the best ( not the Panny dealers). I'm now looking at the following;
    Sony KV 32 LS 36 £719
    JVC AV 32x 35 HKE £689
    Panasonic TX 2 PS5 £700

I'd welcome any advice
    thanks again

14. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys;
    I think that one of the problems that you have encountered re-lack of response is basically that the questions posed are very similar in nature to ones that are posted every week.

Perhaps some people are fed up replying saying the same thing!!

The difficulty is that every new person to the forum thinks that their question is unique but for the new person they must say to themselves why is nobody responding to my posts.

The way round this is to do a little research and I am sure you will find information that will help you in your search for your ideal T.V.

I know a couple of members have recently bought the Philips 6517 including myself but whether it is suitable for your needs I am not sure.

I started a thread called "help for a newbie" which is rather long but you might find this useful.
    Also know within the last couple of weeks certain members posted on the same subject + you may wish to view their threads.

Good luck and I hope you find what you find what you want.

Cheers.

15. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ibrox, I've done quite a bit of research. The trouble is that now there's so much info at your finger tips and so many dealers Its even harder to make a choice. I have looked at previous threads. Trouble is I'm not that I'm not that clued up. I want the best picture and sound I can afford and hopefully a trouble free set, beyond that I'm lost.
    Cheers I'll check out the Phillips

16. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elgreco;
    Exactly the position I was in prior to buying my T.V.
    I would suggest reading the help for a newbie thread because it contains a lot of questions you need to ask yourself prior to making your choice.

What is the primary use of the T.V (Sport,DVD`s,?) as well as many other situations you need answers to.

Do you need an all in one for sound/playing music or other means?

What equipment will you use (Sky Digital,VCR?)

If any usage is games probably another item to consider.

The answers will be there and also other threads which were posted in the last couple of months.

Hope this helps.

17. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ibrox, I'll check them out.

I'll be watching a lot of footie on NTL, the odd DVD, programmes recorded on video, whilst I've been watching footie, and tele via NTL cable. I'd like surround sound if possible. I don't play any games as I'm a bit old for all that, but I do like my footie.
    I understand that I don't need 100Hz, that I need 3 scarts.
    I've had my Trintron for 8 years and I'm ready for a change ( can't fault the Sony just dated)

Thanks for your help.
    There is one thing people might be able to advise me on;
    I've seen lots of good deals on the net. However, I'm a little warry about buying one off the net in case it goes wrong. Is it down to me to send it back if it develops a fault under warranty?

18. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elgreco;
    Your mention of warranties reminded me that I`ve never received my free warranty from an internet company called Empire Direct(I`ll need to chase up) which I understand to be a Domestic + General Warranty.
    I had a computer which had a Domestic + General warranty and when it broke down I used to phone Domestic + General for a complaint number and they gave me the phone number of a repair service who came to my house to effect repairs.
    If unrepairable in house they would take away for repair and return when they had fixed the item in their workshop.

I presume the TV warranty to function in a similar fashion.

Once I get my documents I`ll be happy to check + post if you have not received a reply.

Regarding the Philips 6517 it has a slightly better than Nicam sound system although the brochure will tell you differently so it may not be adequate.
    That`s the reason I bought an all in one(Sony Dav S 550 multi-region) + I also needed something to play DVD`s which delivered pretty good quality sound for a reasonable outlay.
    I would stress this was my preferred solution suitable for my own individual needs.

19. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ibrox, I've been doing some research today and I'm down to 2;
    JVC AV32R25EKS
    Panasonic TX-32PS5

I've found some good deals on the net and I've found a firm at Bradford ( Electro Saver), not far from me who claim to beat any price and offer 12 months IFC so I'm going over on sat

Thanks again

20. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was down to 2 till I read a review on the Thompson 32WB643. What Video describe it as the best Thompson ever made;
    £785 at Unbeatable

21. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you find something suitable elgreco.
    On the warranty theme in the first year you are covered by the company warranty(Philips,JVC whatever) + contact the place where you purchased the goods in the event of repair being required.
    Years 2,3 or of if a 5 year guarantee(4+5) you contact the Insurance company E.G Domestic + General who give you a complaint number and telephone number of an authorised repair agent.
    You phone them and they come + carry out repairs at your home where possible + if not take the T.V away repair + return . If not repairable then they presumably would report to insurance company and you should be able to get a refund to pay for a new T.V but you would need to read the individual warranty to make sure.
    Cheers.

22. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Ibrox, I might be back if I have problems setting it up.

23. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba's picture is kind of poor, I wouldnt recommend it. Sending it back hopefully for a refund :(

Chris

24. jenny

jenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC is vry good according to reviews...

But the real question is, will it be good after 1, 3 or 5 years?

Sure the TV looks good to the reviewer, but whats the reliability like?

Jenny

25. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extensive research today and mind definitely made up.
    I'm geting the Panasonic TX 32 PS5C. ( does anyone know why the "C" ?.
    The best deal I can find with IFC is with Internet Direct, based in Hudderfield. They charge £786 but throw in a five year warranty.I'm going for it monday unless anyone has a bad story to tell about ID
    Thanks again

26. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C = Cabinet, as far as i know :)

27. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Korcha its just that on some adverts the C is there and on others it isn't and, as far as I know, it always comes with a stand. BTW sorry if this is the wrong thread but where can I find some good advice about scarts; i.e. how much do I need to pay to see an improvement? There are some at £ 20 which I'm told are good. I've watched the tele in Comet when they use different scarts but I'm never sure what thyre connected too and they are selling the scarts.
    Thanks

28. unguru

unguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elgreco, what made you choose the pana over the thomson, given that the thomson is supposed to be very good and also does progressive(pal and ntsc) scan?
    cheers

29. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My complete lack of understanding of the above terms, cost, everywhere I've been dealers have sworn by the Panny ( not just Panny dealers) I wanted a good picture and surround sound, I'm advised I don't need 100hz for watching footie on cable, and, all in all this seemd the best tele to meet my needs for the price, but I'm here to listen.
    Thanks Unguru