1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final choice for Plasma - depth of screen an issue?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dodgyd, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi all,

Like many others, I've been lurking around the boards for a little while and am getting closer to the final answer! I've now got my hit list down to 3 contendors:

• Pansonic TH37PV500 £1729 plus delivery
    • Panasonic PW7 approx £1150 with component board (in the list due to relative cheapness!)
    • Samsung PS42S5HX (cheap at ITRO £1500 and HD ready with wall stand included I think)

On the whole, I find the 42" screens a little on the large side, but one of my concerns is the depth of these units. I managed to get into Currys this afternoon and was surprised how deep and bulky the Panasonic Th42PV500 (I'd prefer the 37" model) was compared to the Samsung PS42S5HX. I reckon it was half as deep again!

Anyone wall mounted the Samsung? Are they especially prone to buzzing/humming like I have seen anecdotal evidence that the Panasonic PV500s are (I appreciate all Plasmas are likely to make a little noise).

I'll be wall mounting, is it generally a good thing (TM) to be wall mounting these integrated tuner Plasmas? A recurring issue around these boards are warranties. I've never really gave them a second thought, I've never had any problems with CRTs. Once they get past 2 months old, is that past the 'danger' point and continued use is likely to be trouble free?

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

2. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5H and I have not noticed any buzzing. As for wallmounting, the 5H can be wall mounted although I have no intention of doing so. It comes with the pedestal but the wall bracket is not included. You would have to buy this spearately I think. It is thinner than the 500 and also less wide, by i think about 3.5", which is not an inconsiderable measure.

3. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I'm still deliberating over which Plasma to buy :| I still have a hang up (pardon the pun) about wall mounting a PV500 due to the bulky bottom side of the screen. I worry that it is going to make the screen stand out too far from the wall. Does andyone have a photo showing the profile of the PV500 when it is wall-mounted? I'm even considering a panel only design just so it isn't too bulky.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
    Dave.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
  5. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    [​IMG]

That doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, thanks very much :) I'm wall mounting mine above a fireplace which actually isn't built yet, so I get to say how high etc. Are you happy with the height of the screen?

Thanks for the pic!

Dave.