Final Check (Ordering tomorrow) Sony DVPNS730 for my AE200 Projector

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tempest, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    After reading many posts on here.

It sounds to me (PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M WRONG!!!)

That the Sony DVPNS730 is a very good machine for it's money.

Problems I've read are a 1 second layer change and a iffy remote.
    I can live with a iffy remote but the layer change sounds a bit naff. But perhaps it makes up for it in other ways ?

I'm thinking of buying this from: www.digital-point.co.uk
    They are advertizing it as MultiRegion at just £129.99
    But their specs say nothing about progressive scan or componant out...

Let me just check here once and for all.

This player does have progressive scan and componant out dosen't it ?

Comments I've heard appear to be saying that it's about the best machine in the price range and to beat it, you are going to have to spend around £400 ish.

If anyone thinks there is a better machine say in the £100 to £200 bracket that does progressive scan etc then PLEASE tell me !!!

This is to be connected directly (via componant) into a Panasonic AE200 Video Projector and I want the best possible picture I can have for around this price.

Many thanks for any advice (Before tomorow Midday!!)

2. fatalfury

fatalfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tempest

Just purchased the Sony DVPNS 930 BLACK M/R model today.
    Got an excellent deal from Superfi total price £219.95.:clap: the Superfi guy, Tony was extremely helpful ..top bloke!!!:D

IMHO - Pay the extra and go for the 930 model . I too was first considering the Sony DVPNS730, but eventually thought of the machine as a investment, I dont want to order another dvd player for a few good years, so the Sony DVPNS 930 was my final answer.

best of luck with whatever you choose.:smashin:

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thanks Fatalfury

That was one I was looking at until I read about the 730....

I am not really bothered about the Super CD playback. My No.1 over riding issue is with image quality when connected to my (soon to be delivered AE200 projector)

I understand componant video will get the best out of the projector which is why I'm looking at a new DVD player though I will be interested in just how bad my old Dansai DVD player fairs via it's RGB Scart in comparison to a new progressive scan componant video version.

I'm hoping for a WOW what a difference, but part of me is expenting it to be very little.... I shall see...

Anyhow, back to the point.
    If ANYONE can tell me the picture quality of a 930 will be better on my projector than the picture of the 730 then I may be preraired to stretch a bit more. For £100 more it SHOULD be.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Have a read at this German site http://www.cine4home.de/ use google to translate, there are some test reports on the 730 and 930, and the 930 seems to come out slightly better with progressive scan than the 730, I thnk it states the chroma bug is slightly worse on the 730.

You will see a differance with progressive scan, I find with my Toshiba sd510 that when i go from interlaced to progressive its like interlaced looks out of focus.
    You also get all the benefits of no jaggies and shimmering with progressive scan.

The only downer i find is that peoples oppinions of picture quality might be differant to yours, i recently tested a Compacks and a yamaha progressive player and found the progressive playback dreadful, but people who own these players are very pleased with them, I guess they haven't seen how good progressive scan can look yet.
    What about upping your budget to £700 for the Arcam dv78, this should offer excellent progressive playback with great cd playback thrown in, but at a high price.

At £130 the 730 seems a low risk player to go for, and if it doesn't suit your requirements you could always sell and upgade to a higher spec player.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thanks Timh.

As you say at the end of your post, the 730 has many features and is a low risk player.

I could not justify £700 at the moment. Esp seeing as I'm only paying £750 for the projector :)

To be honest for that price I'd build a dedicated HTPC which is supposed to give the ultimate quality (so I have heard)

But yes, I know what you mean about confusion on players quality. That's the annoying thing. You find a player on here, it sounds good, you do a search then you find loads of people finding faults with it....

Hard trying to find a player than most people don't complain about in some way. The Sony 730 seemed to have the best good to bad comments about it, and as you say it can always be moved on in the future for limited loss.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well I can't comment on your exact model as I haven't seen it but I've compared my Compacks to a Toshiba 330 which I owned for a while and the Compacks is superior. However I'm comparing a Toshiba model which is interlace only to a budget Progressive scan deck. I accept the Compacks progressive image may not be as good as your higher up Toshiba. The thing is with my Compacks I've managed to cure the ghosting problem and made a scart rgb to vga cable to go to my projector (AE100) and the results are quite excellent. Certainly the 330s interlace image is poor in comparision.

7. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 730 from digital-point a few weeks ago. Great price and fast service. Yes, it has got component out and prog scan. Have yet to use prog scan as waiting for Z2 to arrive. Picture quality better than on my old Tosh 220 (which also had component out) through a Tosh 32wotsitP telly anyway. I haven’t had any serious layer change issues so far (if anything seems faster than the Tosh!). Very happy with it thus far :D

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    that sounds interesting, I did find the ghosting pretty bad with the compacks prog componant, but then again the AE100 offers a better quality picture via VGA as most people find there is a slight ringing effect to componant in the AE100.

9. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Went into my local hifi shop today and the bloke there also recommended the 930 as the one to get price/performance.
    He's got one himself.

How did you get one for THAT price ?

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    sony players seem to be using budget lasers in their players at the moment, and produce quite a bit of pixelation.

11. fatalfury

fatalfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FAO _ Tempest

How did you get one for THAT price ?

Simple.... Price match with Digital point! Superfi will not give you a scart lead though.:smashin:

Good luck on your final choice :lesson:

12. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    My understanding is that Sony in the past have often made their dvd players poor at reading copied media and using formats that are highly likely to be pirate films. So in the past they have been reluctant to support vcd/svcd, cdr and copied dvd media. They basically always tuned the laser away from optimium reading so that they would read original dvds but not copied dvds. Consequently as the player aged and the laser got a bit weaker even original dvd media was hard to read. Thats the trouble with buying a dvd player from a company that has huge interests in film and television companies. However this cost Sony dear in warranty repairs and bad publicity so my understanding is that current Sony designs are meant to be a lot better. Certainly I read somewhere that Sony dvd player faults are almost exclusively laser related and most of the time they can be cured by a simple adjustment of the laser.

You only have to look at sites like this to see what I mean;

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews231.html

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    with my old sony 725 player, i used to have to "re-align" the laser with about every 5 discs. my new 905 is just rubbish, skewed picture at the top of the screen, and pixelation on most discs. needless to say its going back, and i won't be buying a sony again.

14. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    These last few postings don't exactly inspire me towards Sony.

To be honest I've put of my DVD player purchace for a week or two or 3 !!!

Just getting my AE200. Now I've got the thing I'm starting to re-decorate the whole room. Then have to built a ceiling mount, then build a screen, and THEN I'll have to worry about how I feed the projector.

A DVD Player with progressive scan and componant out is so easy but I'm very impressed by the talk about htpc.........

A cheap dedicated quiet PC would be very nice.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I tried the pc route, it did offer the best picture quality but I found it to much hassle, a dvd player has the main benefit of being simple to use. A pc is only slightly better than a good progressive player IMHO.
    I have had some problems with sony players and would think twice about buying another.

What about going for a recorder like the new Toshiba DR1 which is progressive scan, if it has the Vaddis 5 chip like my 510 it should be pretty good at around £300, check out the dvd recorder threads for more ifo.

16. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Timh.........

Yes, Like you I feel a DVD player is obviously a much simpler sollution.

On the other hand I have read some comments from people about how changing from their progressive scan DVD to HTPC was gob smacking picture quality improvment.

I've got a few bits to sort out so still have some time to sort something out.

If I could get a cheap PC running very quiet and just enough power to do a good job I could go that way.......

There seems NO definate answer to what's the best DVD player anyway in the £100 to £250 ish bracket.
    The Sony 930 WAS but after recent comments that's almost blown it out the water :(

17. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I have HCPC fed into AE200 and it is awesome, however like you say not quite as covenient.

I put up with the convenience thing though because of the other advantages that come with it.

DVD's are all hard disc loaded, no damage can occur [toddler!]
    I game through my projector from my PC and indeed web browse also..MP3 etc

18. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Yeah, after much thought I've decided I'm going the HTPC route.
    I just need to decide on how I'm going to go about it.
    Something very quiet and smallish, I'm not sure if I should have a cheap dedicated PC for the job or try and share the PC between HTPC use and normal use.
    It's the graphics card output that troubles me.
    As Id need two D-Sub outputs one for the projector and one for my normal monitor and think this may affect performance/quality

19. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    best looking and cheapest by far is EZ-Buddie. These are <£90 at Ebuyer and look like a little hifi

Perfect