Final Blowout Holiday!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the wife and I have plans to start a family next year so this year will be our "Final Blowout Holiday" :thumbsup:
I have a two part question - firstly, where should we go? We have some ideas floating around:

1) Another road trip in US (we love those) - this time Chicago to Las Vegas - maybe 3 weeks
2) Safari in Tanzania with week/10 days on beach somewhere - this was going to be our honeymoon last year but decided to spend more on the wedding and save a bit on the honeymoon
3) Far East tour - KL, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo - not the most relaxing of holidays! ;)

or any other ideas - don't really fancy South America much. This will also be probably around our first year anniversary.

Second question - What would be your final blowout holiday? Or have you had one and what was it?

:D

I've just come back from mine. We went to the Maldives which was lovely but if I was going back I'd probably split it and go to Sri Lanka for a week.

Maldives was one of our honeymoon choices - looks amazing. Would definitely consider the Maldives for maybe a week - possibly after a safari :)

How did you find it?

Maldives was one of our honeymoon choices - looks amazing. Would definitely consider the Maldives for maybe a week - possibly after a safari :)

How did you find it?

Perfect. Never seen anything like it. Every day I was blown away by the views.

Timed it perfectly too because we're expecting our first in October.

Perfect. Never seen anything like it. Every day I was blown away by the views.

Timed it perfectly too because we're expecting our first in October.

Congrats :smashin:

Were you there only a week? To me it looks like there isn't much exploring to do (guess it depends on which island you're on), am always up for a trek around the local area :)
Wouldn't want to get bored ;)

So, the wife and I have plans to start a family next year so this year will be our "Final Blowout Holiday" :thumbsup:
I have a two part question - firstly, where should we go? We have some ideas floating around:

1) Another road trip in US (we love those) - this time Chicago to Las Vegas - maybe 3 weeks
2) Safari in Tanzania with week/10 days on beach somewhere - this was going to be our honeymoon last year but decided to spend more on the wedding and save a bit on the honeymoon
3) Far East tour - KL, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo - not the most relaxing of holidays! ;)

or any other ideas - don't really fancy South America much. This will also be probably around our first year anniversary.

Second question - What would be your final blowout holiday? Or have you had one and what was it?

We're in exactly the same situation as you! We got married in September and had our honeymoon in the Maldives - absolute paradise. We've travelled a fair amount over the past few years but will be settling down properly after one last trip... so for our first anniversary swansong we're off to Japan :)

It's always been my dream destination, and with so much to see we've decided to just buy a rail pass and go where we feel like going.

I probably couldn't be more excited!

We did a Far east trip (pre-children) which included Hong Kong , Singapore , Bangkok followed by a releaxing 8 days in Bali - best of both worlds.

Planning on going out there with the kids in a couple of years - just waiting on them to get a little older so they will appreciate the holiday a little more - and also so I wont have to carry my daughter around / keep stopping when she gets tired.

We've been fortunate enough to be able to travel / holiday every year before and after kids and have been to a few places - but there's plenty more to see and do out there !

Last edited:
I reckon you should treat yourselves and do the south Pacific i.e French Polynesia, Tahiti, Bora Bora and the Cook Islands.

As beautiful as the Indian Ocean is, it simply can't compete with those waters and islands.

It should be number one on everyone's bucket list. Simply unforgettable.

I reckon you should treat yourselves and do the south Pacific i.e French Polynesia, Tahiti, Bora Bora and the Cook Islands.

As beautiful as the Indian Ocean is, it simply can't compete with those waters and islands.

It should be number one on everyone's bucket list. Simply unforgettable.

Never even considered that - as long as there's plenty to see and do (nature, local towns and so on) then it might be another option...damn you Force! :D

Almost had a round the world idea planned but don;t think I'll have enough time - would have included the far east tour followed by Hawaii to relax and then fly back via Vegas & New York! Would need 4 weeks at least I'd think :eek:

above sounds the best, could throw in Philippines (manila), and finish in Australia, both close to Singapore and hong kong

above sounds the best, could throw in Philippines (manila), and finish in Australia, both close to Singapore and hong kong

Had a great conversation over our 6 month anniversary dinner on Saturday.
As much as we both love US road trips we think we can probably do that with a sprog in the future. Also kind of decided that the Far East tour would require a good month or two to do properly so might leave that until our "later" years ;)

That means that our current leader is the safari....am thinking Tanzania, then maybe a few days in Cape Town and then to the Maldives for a week. Have done Kenyan safari before so think Tanzania and the Serengeti is the best safari option unless anyone can recommend another place (maybe SA or somewhere) :)

Thrown in an attempt at Kilimanjaro and that sounds great :)

domtheone said:
Thrown in an attempt at Kilimanjaro and that sounds great :)

Hehe. Maybe, few days walk isn't it? :)

Aye. Several.

What is it about South America that puts you off, I only ask as although strictly Caribbean / Central America there are some cultural similarities....Cuba!

Loved, loved, loved this place. Havana has so much history, you've got the rum, crumbling colonial building, the classic cars, the people, the history and amazing natural beauty.

Havana is good for a few days taking in history and drinking in cool bars then you can do a tour of the rural tobacco growing parts some smaller towns and then the beaches. I mean the beaches are just Caribbean so you know what to expect, the people are so friendly and have so much to say if you engage them but are respectively if you don't.

What is it about South America that puts you off, I only ask as although strictly Caribbean / Central America there are some cultural similarities....Cuba!

Loved, loved, loved this place. Havana has so much history, you've got the rum, crumbling colonial building, the classic cars, the people, the history and amazing natural beauty.

Havana is good for a few days taking in history and drinking in cool bars then you can do a tour of the rural tobacco growing parts some smaller towns and then the beaches. I mean the beaches are just Caribbean so you know what to expect, the people are so friendly and have so much to say if you engage them but are respectively if you don't.

Cuba does look good but doesn't seem like a proper blowout holiday to me although I've always wanted to go there.

Still looking at Far East trips including Vietnam, Japan etc... and struggling to choose between that or a safari. Going through the Kuoni catalogues tonight to see what takes out fancy :)

I was trying to work out if blowout was a bit of a euphemism if you know what I mean?

Far East sounds really cool, Japan and china are on my list. Let us know what you decide. I'm sure it'll be awesome what ever you decide.

Safari and beach all the way!

Attachments

• Kenya.jpg
    Kenya.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Kenya2.jpg
    Kenya2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Kenya3.jpg
    Kenya3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Kenya4.jpg
    Kenya4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Kenya5.jpg
    Kenya5.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Kenya6.jpg
    Kenya6.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Kenya7.jpg
    Kenya7.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Kenya8.jpg
    Kenya8.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Kenya9.jpg
    Kenya9.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Seychelles.jpg
    Seychelles.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Seychelles2.jpg
    Seychelles2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Seychelles3.jpg
    Seychelles3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Seychelles4.jpg
    Seychelles4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Seychelles5.jpg
    Seychelles5.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Seychelles6.jpg
    Seychelles6.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 87
Safari and beach all the way!

Pretty much agreed :)

Btw - who did you book through? I used Kuoni on my Kenyan safari and it was amazing and they do some truly great safari options...

Did the lot via Thomas Cook as we had 3 legs to the journey.

I presume that wasn't on Thomas Cook planes though? Did one holiday with them and it was their plane and possibly the worst experience in my life (comfort/service etc...)

Very tempted with this 2 week safari. My last one was only 3 nights so quite rushed but we love the idea of taking our time and really spending time in Tanzania :smashin:

Ultimate Tanzania - Tanzania Tours from Kuoni Travel

Will couple that with 5 nights either in Zanzibar or maybe even Seychelles/Maldives - would definitely be a blowout!! :D

Finally came up with a reasonably good plan (although need to get the shocking quote for it tomorrow) :D

• Fly to Tanzania mid-October and do a 7 day safari around Serengeti etc...
  • Fly to Masai Mara for 3 nights in the Masa Intrepid camp (looks amazing) - more to relax a bit with the odd game drive/bush walk
  • Fly to Dubai where we think we'll stay in the Westin Jumeirah Beach to relax and also visit the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on the Saturday/Sunday :thumbsup:
  • After 5 nights there fly home

Had to find something to do for 3 nights between the safari and the Grand Prix so looked at staying in Tanzania a bit, going to Zanzibar or Masai Mara and Kenya kind of won as a continuation of the safari but somewhere different.

Think it covers most things required for a blowout holiday :eek:

Still open to ideas if anyone has any, especially for the 3 nights in between ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom