1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by New_Cam_user, Mar 24, 2003.

1. New_Cam_user

New_Cam_user

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise as to weather I should use just an AV filter for my camcorder or a "skylight" filter for shooting in sunlight?

Thank you.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to shoot in very bright sunlight then a Neutral Density filter can be useful, since you can use a much slower shutter speed (and a wider iris/F stop) without saturating the CCD(s) of your camera. Think of it as sunglasses for your camera:cool:
    Nice pun BTW (weather/whether):D

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you mean UV (ultra violet) or skylight.

An ultra violet filter is a very pale yellow and cuts through the blue haze in distant landscapes on bright sunny days. A skylight is a very slight pink and takes some of the blue out of the spectrum which would otherwise occur on bright cloudless days so it depends on what you are wishing to film. Many people leave a skylight on the front of their cameras permanently as a protection for their very exspensive camcorder lens. Another very useful but quite exspensive filter which I often use is a circular polariser which can be used to remove reflections from water and glass in your viewfinder.