1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eXistenZ, Jan 9, 2003.

1. eXistenZ

eXistenZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a good reason for buying a filter for
    a projector?

Does it just enhance blacks? Or are they just
    for enhancing one colour (i.e. reds?).

Are they expensive, and where do you get them from, and which ones?

(Im a complete NOOB and have no idea :) )

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Some LCDs have a noticeable green push to the colour range, so fiting an FLD filter helps cure it.

Some projectors now come with a filter of some sort to make the colours more accurate and suitable for home cinema, so it's obviously a good solution to correct any anomalies caused by things like the lamp colouration. It's probably cheaper than trying to colour corrct the lamp in the other hardware.

The CCR20/30/40 filters helps reds IIRC - some DLPs have trouble with reds due to the white segment, so reds will appear orange. LCDs can have a similar problem I believe, but for different reasons. Most filters will improve black level because they reduce light output.

I would think that most photographic shops would sell them, but you have to make sure they will be big enough to fit your lens.

Some are just square sheets so you may have to make up something to attach it to your pj.

Which pj are you getting? The type of filter will depend on this. Try doing a search for more info on filters.

HTH

Gary.

3. eXistenZ

eXistenZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of Z1 or HS-10, but after seeing some screen photos of the HS-10 they blew me
    away!

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    You weren't the only one!!

I would like to see the HS10, but the place I'm going to demo some PJs at doesn't have one. He does have the Z1, so I'll try to get a look at that while I'm there.

Gary.