1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by petrolhead, Dec 18, 2002.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Is anyone using a filter on their PJ to good effect?

If so what colour and where did you buy them?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    The coloured filter idea was originally concieved in connection with the Sony VW10. As a VW10 user, I have adopted the filter idea to good effect. However, I can't comment on the validity of this with regard to other PJ types (except the later VW11 which in this respect is the same, and the even later VW12 where Sony now actually supply an accessory filter).

Here is the theory:

On these PJs, because of the colour balance of the lamp and/or the optics, the gain (which affects contrast) of the blue and green panels is set lower than that for red. That means, you could get more contrast out of the thing by increasing green and blue gains, but the colour balance would of course go completely wrong.

So, you fit a pale pink filter (CC20R, CC30R or CC40R depending on your individual projector and your preference) to the front of the lens.

On its own, this has two effects. It reduces the total light output from the projector and gives the picture a pink tint.

So, you then enter the service menu on the PJ and increase the gains of blue and green to restore the correct colour balance.

Gain affects brighter areas of the image, but does not affect darker areas.

So, the net result is:

Black is darker than it was.
    Bright is the same brightness as it was, and you still have the correct colour balance.

In other words, more contrast.

It works.

3. rick1000

rick1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Sony VPL-HS1 and have just received the filter from them today, you don't mention the projector you use, but for my projector I just rang Sony Customer Services and they sent me a filter for free. Maybe you should try ringing your projectors manufacturer to see if they supply one.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got an ae100 with a Hoya FLD and it makes an improvement to black levels and scrren door (slightly).

Best £20 you can spend to improve your setup;)

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Sorry, yes, the PJ is the Epson TW100