Filters - to buy seperates or a filter system?

ghibbett

Hi All :hiya:,

I'm looking to buy some filters - specifically an ND8, a CPL and an ND Grad. What are the recommendations of the wizened (i.e. you guys & gals) as to whether to buy screw-in types or a filter system such as cokin or Lee? One caveat to that is that it must be well built and durable.

Any ideas as I'm a bit lost at the mo...

Cheers

cedmondson

For the ND grad you really need a slot-in type so you can twiddle / slide the graduation to suit your composition - e.g align with horizon. Lee are better than Cokin but the cost differential is pretty significant :eek: I'm fairly happy with my Cokin stuff with the caveat that there's a slight colour cast (which can be dealt with in PP).

However, I prefer to leave my CPL on much more of the time than with ND / grads so I use a Hoya screw type. It helps that both my 24-105L & Tokina 12-24 have the same 77mm thread - if you have a range of different thread sizes you may find it better to stay with a slot-in system.

allymac123

Your 10-22 and 17-55 are both 77mm. For that reason I'd recomend screw in CPL and ND. You will need a filter sytems for any Grads though.

Tobers

Lee are very much higher quality than Cokin, but pricey (I just have 2 filters at the moment). With those lenses you'll find the filter holders of the Cokin P series get in the way at wide angle so avoid them and get the larger sized ones.

I got a 77mm screw-in polariser that I can leave on the lens as it fits my 17-55 and 10-20. The Lee polariser is just toooo expensive!

ghibbett

Hmmm, interesting stuff. Thanks to all for their views :thumbsup:

Next question - where to buy filters from? Any decent & cheap UK places or do I take the risk of buying from HK (such as hkdirect)?

Appreciate the input.

rizingstar

I'm sure you can cut the cokin filter holder down to hold just one filter for a wide angle lens :confused: i've just ordered a 77mm adapter and ND4 grad grey,i'll try the cut off on the cokin p holder as i won't be using more than 1 filter.
Just bought the ND4 grad grey filter off ebay,photoblitz i think the shop was called>?but they aint genuine cokin filters,thought i'd try one for the price tho:D

Hmmm, interesting stuff. Thanks to all for their views :thumbsup:

Next question - where to buy filters from? Any decent & cheap UK places or do I take the risk of buying from HK (such as hkdirect)?

Appreciate the input.

Thanks for the link ! Has anyone used any filter sellers on ebay ? Maybe even hkdirect ? As they have a Kenko cpl 72mm for under £20 that would fit my budget ? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom