1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters, special effects & Lens advice?!?!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by si2k, Oct 8, 2003.

1. si2k

si2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone help? :confused: I have just purchased a Sony PC105 and now i have played abit with it i have been considering purchasing filters, lens etc. Unfortunately i know very little about them, and it seems i can't find any information out there.

Does anyone have any advice on filters and Lens, really anything at all will be of help. My camcorder has a 30mm lens. Wheres the cheap places to purchase accessories?

I have also been considering a tripod. So i can set the camcorder up to film while i'm out and about, is it handy to have the tripods with the remote controls on? They seem quite reasonable in price but then again, its only a tripod.

Thanks for any advice

:D

Si

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi si2k
    I've answered the question on filters in your thread in the 'camcorder' forum.
    With a tripod I tend to be more worried about it haveing good smooth action for pan & tilt rather than a built in remote.
    I've got a decent tripod with oil filled joints to give the smooth action required for video and tend to just use the controls on the camcorder.

Mark.

3. si2k

si2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, or anyone concerned,

I have checked out www.keene.co.uk website and for my camcorder there a limited numbers of filters, especially lens avaliable, i.e. for a 30mm. Or even with a 30-37m step up ring. I was considering going into town on Saturday and checking out London Camera Exchange, does any one know if that place is any good for obtaining filters, Tripods, lens?

Or even are there any other websites out there providing these items?

Cheers

Simon

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    First of all, I have moved this thread into the Camcorder section where it belongs.

Secondly, you might want to look at the Cokin filters if you find yourself limited.

If you then want 'cheap' effect filters, there are a number of 3rd party vendors whose filters then fit the cokin system. For example, I was able to purchace 50 different effect filters from a place in Luton for £30 (including star effects, gradients etc).

5. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are interested in the types of effects you can get through filters then take a look here:

http://www.leefilters.com/CPEF.asp?PageID=77

You can't buy the filters you need from that site as they are more geared towards Matte Boxes, but you can see the effect.

I am a bit of a believer that where filters are concerned you do get what you pay for (as with most videopgraphy equipment). That doesn't mean to say that some cheaper filters do not fulfil a role and are sometimes just the ticket (especially when starting out).

Tripods are great and are in most cases a pretty essential part of any videographer's kit. It's worth spending enough to get one with a fluid head and quick release mechanism. I have a Manfrotto MN755B with 501 head (you can get it as a kit) which I purchased from www.red-door.co.uk for £280. Go to their Manfrotto Kit page and do a find on the page for MN501755BK

Networkguy, where'd you get your filters from? I'd be interested in knowing. Cheers.

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I am sure they were from www.srbfilm.co.uk as they were having a clearout sale so I just bought every type of filter they had as they were selling them at silly money.

Okay so half of them will never get used but for the cost, who cares.

PS

There website is very poor but the information is there

7. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll pop on over and take a look.

8. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Networkguy, what filter attachment are you using for those filters (screwthread? matte box?).

Cheers.

9. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I use the Cokin A series ring and filter holder.