1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters for PT-AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonny1973, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard people mention pink filters that can improve a projectors contrast.

Are there any filters available that would improve the contrast of my panasonic PT-AE100?

Anyone know any online suppliers?

Surely a white screen and a grey filter would give the same result as using a grey screen.

Jonny

2. mysphyt

mysphyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the Ultra High Pressure lamps used in LCD projectors have a strong blue to blue green shift in their spectral output.

If skin tones have a slight greenish cast to them, then your projector is likely a good candidate for a filter.

A popular choice seems to be the Hoya FL-D, the multi-coated version if you can find it. Here in the US 2filter.com has them for ~$35 shipped, they say they ship international. Hoya is distributed worldwide so they are probably available locally too.

Another choice is a color correcting filter, like the Optiflex series. These filters are a bit more severe at the higher densities (CCR40 and CCR50) than the Hoya FL-D. They work best when you can use them to cut the green and blue output then adjust the color gains until you have a good greyscale again. Gives improved color fidelity and contrast.

Neutral density (ND) filters will give better black levels by reducing the light output over the whole output range. My experience has been that a grey screen gives a better effect, ND filters seem to have a dulling effect on the picture. They are inexpesive, so you may want to play with them a bit, just don't expect miracles.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I'm not sure if it was a spelling mistake, but this pdf brochure says that the PT-AE100 has a 120W UHM lamp

I've never heard of an UHM lamp before. Can someone check the specs page in the back of the user guide to see if this is correct, and if so, what differences are there between UHP and UHM lamps? It might affect filter choice for example.