1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters for a Sony TRV33?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by AOD, Dec 11, 2003.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks, Camcorder noob so go easy. :)

We purchased a Sony TRV 33 last night (thank you to Jessops Bluewater) and can't wait to play with our new toy.

Being an SLR owner, I know the value of a nice skylight or UV filter to protect the front of your lens. It's a lot cheaper to replace one of these filters than it is to fix a scratch on the lens :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I'd like to know is what filters are other owners using? I had a look at a Sony kit which is extortionate for a UV filter and a polarising filter (£50 to £60 I think in Jessops). Not that I would ever pay retail prices :)

The store manager tried a number of filters and eventually we came to the conclusion that it has a 30mm thread. Sadly they didn't have any UV/Skylight filters in that size so I'm looking around for something suitable.

Sony's packaging for their own filters implies that the thread is 37mm, but is this actually the diameter for the front of the filter itself? When we tried "real" 37mm filters, they were too big.

If I stick a regular 30mm filter on there, am I going to significantly reduce the amount of light going in, in comparison with the Sony offerings for example? (assuming it's just a UV/Skylight filter).

Any comments/suggestions most welcome. I'm off to buy some cheap DV tapes online. :smashin:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I allways keep a skylight filter on the front of my camcorder lens, and have never noticed any degradation in low light performance.

It is very naughty of camcorder manufacturers not to identify the thread diameter of the lens, these are referred to in exactly the same way as the 35mm camera filters that is by thread diameter. according to the specification I have your lens has a 30mm thread.

If you go to www.keene.co.uk and browse to 'products' and then search for product code DFSKY30 you will find a good quality skylight filter for £19.99 plus £2.50 per order P&P.

I have a 27mm lens and was able to purchase from Keenes a step up ring which also allows me to fit filters and lens hood from previous cameras but I can't see a 30mm step up ring in their catalogue at the moment, but I have always found them extreemly helpful if you ring on 0870 990 9000.

With reference to DV tapes one of the best deals I've found at the moment is 5 Panasonic for £11-29 from www.7dayshop.co.uk have you done better for quality 'named' tapes

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I've got a bog standard filter on the lens of my TRV-900 (can't remember thread size!) and have always used standard camera filters. If it fits and the quality looks ok then thats the one to use. I would never pay for overpriced Sony accessories.
    The price for the Panasonic tape does sound very good (even if a small P&P needs to be added), but if you go with these tapes make sure you always use Panasonic tapes as mixing brands of DV tapes can cause problems/damage to your video heads. I stick to Sony tapes as 5 were bundled with my camcorder when I bought it.

Mark.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I use Sony's "overpriced" filters.
    Yes they are expensive, but if I'm spending around £1000 on a camcorder an extra £50 (or so) doesn't really bother me.
    And they match the camcorder.... (pleasing for the lady in my life anyway...:D )