'filtering-off' the Bass? Yamaha Rx-A3070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 3t3p, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 3t3p

3t3p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Something Ive note considered and wondered if possible, saw mention of anthem AVRs being able to do this?

I want to add an integrated amp (A-S1100) to my setup to let me use my rear heights as have run out of on board amplification.

This will also let me enjoy stereo music, however the speakers sound so much better when using the 3070 to bass manage and send <80hz to the subs.

So is it possible, to have the 3070 output music signal (non amplified) that is 'cropped' with bass still going via RCA connector to the subs and everything else going into the pre-amp section of the integrated stereo amp?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    The pre outs are still subject to the exacy same bass management that would be in place were you using the AV receiver's own integral amplification and its speaker terminals. The signal being output via the pre outs will still have the speaker size and crossover configurations applied to it.

Bass management isn't specific to the AV receiver's own integral amplification and the speakers connected directly to the AV receiver's speaker terminals. All the processing is still applied to the pre amplified signals that are sent to the pre outs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. 3t3p

3t3p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Right makes sense. I suppose though that using the as1100 as a Poweramp for music makes no sense and is wasting it's potential.

In HT bypass mode as a power amp in games and films however it makes sense.

What I meant was, can the 3070 output a digital signal to the As1100 that is then amplified in the preamp section of the AS1100 but does not contain low bass information?

The bass can then continue to be sent to the subs via their normal RCA connection.
    Seems no way to have my cake and eat it.

Only way is to send full range signal to speakers and add bass on top with the subs

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    Using a stereo integrated amp as a power amp to power the front stereo speakers is a very acceptable and well used method of improving an AV receiver's stereo performance. It is better to use an integrated amp that includes HY bypass though in order to avoid issues associated with having to set the integrated amps volume to the exact same setting each and every time it is utilised as a power amp. Luckilly the AS1100 has this ability and includes an HT bypass function.

No, your receiver cannot output digital audio to your integrated amp that has been subjected to the AV receiver's audioprocessing or bass management.

You best option would be to use a subwoofer than includes both a low level LFE input as well as a high level neutrik connection, preferable each with its own crossover filter on the sub. You'd connect the high level input on the sub to the speaker terminals on the integrated amp and set its crossover filter to an appropriate setting. THis still would/n't redirect lower frequencies below this setting away from the speakers though, but it would engage the sub while using sources not subject to the bass management associated with the AV receiver. As you stated, you'd have to send full range audio to the speakers for this to be utilised.

5. 3t3p

3t3p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yeup that was what I came up with, I can do this with the Bk xxls400s.

Just hope bass doesn't sound congested with with adding extra on top of the bass produced by the main speakers. Suppose that's where titration comes in and a deft/subtle hand!

Ask you a quick Q Dante as the Yamaha man; when you run an effect such as sci-fi DSP does that take you OFF neural X or Atmos upscaling do you know?
    I have not been able to work this out !

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    It would be a matter of trial and error and you need to try set the sub's hi level crossover filter at a point where it allows the sub to engage as seamlessly as possible in relation to the speakers own roll off. I'd maybe start by using a crossover that is about 10Hz greater than the speakers lowest rated frequency. 60Hz is a frequency often recited for use on subs when then are to be used in conjunction with larger floorstanding speakers.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    With the Neutrik connections, I have a REL sub, you set the crossover, as suggested by dante and experiment. Play something with a repetitive bass line and keep blending the sub to the speakers. Do this after you have found the ideal placement for the sub.

8. 3t3p

3t3p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Subs aren't gonna move from where they are, having two gives great in room response currently anyway.

I realise the theory of blending subs what I was after is not sending any deep bass to the mains if possible, seems this is impossible though.