Question Filter Strategy

The Elf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently got an SLR after a fair few years of using a compact. I was looking into getting some filters, an ND at first (10 stop) probably followed by a polarised later.

I was looking on amazon, and the brands I have heard of (Hoya and B+W) I was surprised at the price of them. At the moment I have a zoom with 67mm and a prime with 52mm, and I will likely buy a wide angle this year which often look like they have a 77.

How do you guys approach this, I was thinking that buying just 77mm filters from the off with adapter rings could work out cheaper in the long rung, though the upfront cost will be higher.
Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Cheers, Ed

Hi there I use the step up rings as you are thinking. All my filters are 77 or 82 and have no problems. The rings are pretty cheap as I recall.

have a look at Haida brand ND and CPL - very good quality at good prices and very little colour cast on the ND

Jim

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Buying second hand can help reduce the cost too, particularly with the high end filters like heliopan, B+W & hoya. You also have filters from nikon, canon and sigma too, though they don't tend to be much cheaper than a good hoya. Kenko come from the hoya/tokina group too and seem extremely similar.

I hate to admit that I almost have a full set of black & white colour filters, skylights and polarisers in almost every common size from 39mm up to 77mm.

+1 for second hand. I got B+W ND and polarizing filters that way and the seller threw in color and diffusion filters for free.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom