1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filter pouch

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dejongj, May 25, 2005.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    I've been looking for a filter pouch or the like...I've now got a series of filters UV, Circ-Polarising and ND; varrying from 52, 58 and 67mm...The boxes they are supplied in are just so big...Does anyone know of any good thirdparty solutions?

I don't want my filters to go the same way as my three day old iPod Photo which is already scratched after one trip in my bag....

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i was looking at those ipod photos as a storage device, but from what i can see i cant actually download pictures from my camera directly to ipod, which makes it pretty useless as a portable storage device.

is this true?

if so apple have seriously missed out on a useful functionality :lesson:

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    It should do...I does from my Nikon D70...There are a couple of tricks to it though...
    1. You need the camera connector - £19 from apple but not available. This way you can connect your camera via USB and use import on the iPhoto...
    2. It won't display RAW files, so if you want to view them as well just shoot in RAW+JPG mode....It ignores the RAW files, but copies them in and just displays the JPG's...As the resolution of the screen is low, the basic JPG is perfect quality..
    3. When back at your computer just access the iPod as an external harddrive and copy the DCIM directory, or in my case import it in PSE3...

There are some limitations compared to other portable storage devices; for example you can't zoom in on the image, nor rotate and stuff...But that doesn't bothers me. Also it zaps the battery life on the iPod, so if you take it out for that purpose you really have to charge it overnight...

I really got it as we are off to Italy in a weeks time and realised we didn't have tunes at our Eurocamp caravan and as it can off-load the pictures from my camera as well it safes on the number of CF's I need to have....I still have to buy the little iStation speakers and were sorted....

Still ripping all my cd's now, filled my hotel bag with them...62 albums done and many more to go....

If you wanted a dedicated photostorage solution then I think the Epson P-2000 can't be beaten, but it is expensive and clumsy in doing music...The iPod Photo works for me....

So do you know about any filter pouches? ;-)

4. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way you can download pictures on the fly from CF card to iPod is by using a third party bit of hardware. I think its belkin that make it and its a 6in1 card reader.

How ever the new Archos AV480 is an 80gig Music/Portable Video player and image viewer. It also includes a CF card reader slot so you can empty your cards without going near a PC, idea when on holiday etc... Plus you can view them back on screen or by connecting it to a TV.

Hope this help...

Note: Sorry to wonder off the original topic of the thread but you asked about it.

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    And the Belkin solution is very, very expensive...About £79 pounds!!! Hence I use the Apple original camera direct connector, it is also tiny...

If you need a 'cheaper' CF direct solution and are not worried about Music, a Smartdisk Flashtrax read CF cards directly as well....for about £168...

Back on topic...Am I the only one that wonders about this? How do all you other SLR owners carry your filters around?

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: