1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filter for ae300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by celtic13, Apr 3, 2003.

1. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    With the arrival of ae300 imminent, pal prog player ordered and 88" diy pull downscreen to be installed this week-end should I be thinking of getting an fl filter to increase the contrast? I know from reading this forum that it significantly improves the ae100, but what about the 300?

Can't find much on avs on this so maybe it doesn't need it...but it seems that all lcd's improve with the filter - hence Sony supplying one as standard with HS10.

What ya think?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Celtic13,

Presume you're referring to the Hoya FLD filter - the AE100 gang have good results with this, but most useful when you're running the AE100 with VGA input (from hcpc or the likes of a Nintuas DVD player) as the VGA inpuit allows access to the white Balance settings which need to be corrected to get the optimum result with the Hoya, imo.

Afaik, the AE300 should have a contrast ratio of 800:1, whereas the AE100 is quoted at 500:1 - making judgements based on numbers quoted by manufacturers is fairly pointless in the normal course of events, but given that both machines are by the same manufacturer, it is reasonable to conclude that the AE300 should have better blacks than the AE100 !

At £20 or thereabouts, it's worth getting one to experiment, but I wouldn't think it's a necessity. For what it's worth, the few screenshots that I recall seeing on avsforum showed smashing images (and I know all the warning noises about screenshots !) so I reckon you'll be well pleased. (As will Kramer and I, when we go to have a gawk at it !!!!:D )

All the best,

Sean G.

3. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Just realised I can borrow some Lee filters from a cameraman at work, think he has the full range of fl's - used for super 16 and digibeta. These are square filters but made from optical glass - so they might be worth a go just to see !

Screen looks pretty good - double layer of projection cloth, one white one black, sewn and stuck together with a 16x9 window cut out. gave it to a local roller blind maker who is mounting it on a steel 3" diameter pole with side tensioning - see it on friday.

£30 I can afford to experiment with - if it's sh**e i'll have to buy a proper one!

One other thing, I have been toying with the idea of getting a ream of grey matt tracing paper - very smooth, to place over the screen - this would roll beautifully without ripples and might give even more contrast...just a thought while I wait...

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a AE100, the colour adjustments are very limited in composite, s-video and component modes with only VGA giving full control over RED, GREEN and BLUE.

I had a filter but removed it. It improved the contrast at the expense of vibrancy.

The AE100 just is not bright enough.