Filter advice

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
OK need some advice from the more professional or experienced members.

I have three lenses I use on my 350D

10-20 SIGMA, 77mm filter
24-70 SIGMA, 82mm filter
70-200 Canon, 67mm filter. I got a UV filter for the this to protect it when I bought it.

I'm off for a few days holiday and work in a few days, to an area of the country that I suspect may be pretty photogenic. I suspect the two sigma's are going to get a lot of use. I am thinking that a couple of polarising filters would be useful at this time of year with the sunlight the way it is. Any advice? Is it worthwhile and if so is it worth the MENTAL extra expense for the top filters? Unfortunately my main lens needs 82mm and those are NOT cheap....

Help!

Gordon

hi Gordon

I had the same dilemma a while back until i started using Cokin system.

You only buy each filter once and instead buy the adaptor rings to suit each lens thread size.

This way even if you get rid of your lenses and obtain ones of different thread diameters you still have a complete filter system.

I use ND3 which is a must for landscapes and circ polarizer.
The Cokin system allows you to use more than one filter

next on my list is a 81b warm up which is also useful for landsacpes, sunrises etc.
I have a screw in Hoya for some sizes but not all so Cokin IMHO is the way to go.

Aha...wondered what the Cokin thing was all about....makes sense...although is it big and cumbersome? Also why do you need an ND3 for landscapes. I'd have thought sole purpose if it was to get you longer exposure?

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Aha...wondered what the Cokin thing was all about....makes sense...although is it big and cumbersome? Also why do you need an ND3 for landscapes. I'd have thought sole purpose if it was to get you longer exposure?

Gordon

Not cumbersome at all really Gordon once you start using them and the Z-pro system willl be fine with the Sigma's though you may get some vignetting.

There are two types of ND filters, solid and graduated.

Solid is a fixed density across the whole of the filter, graduated, which are by far the most useful imo, vary the density from top to bottom useful for bright skys where you want to pull it back to keep detail and even up the exposure against the land.
The graduations also vary from a hard to soft cut off as well, usually in the middle of the filter, so the aim is to have that point on an inconspicuous piece of horizon.

Yes sorry should have said gaduated neutral density.
As Zone has explained you will find high contrast cloudy days a lot easier to shoot because you will be able to expose for the land or sea and still get detail out of the sky.

I like them for stormy grey days as well.
Thats how the pro's get those moody foreboding skies.

I don't think the Cokin system is clunky - just works really:smashin:

Forgive me, but is the only difference between Cokin A Series and Cokin P the quality?

It's the size of the filter holder that is different as far as I am aware.

I have just today received the 'P Series' wide holder, 77 adapter ring and a ND Grad filter.

Luckily for me, both my 10-20 and 24-105 have a 77mm thread so I can interchange between them easily

next on my list is a 81b warm up which is also useful for landscapes, sunrises etc.

An 81b effect can be done in post processing, which might be worth considering for those minimising the number of filters they purchase and carry around.

I just have ND grads and polarisers which can't be replicated on the PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom