Films you know are wrong to love

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a similar thread already exists apologies, I have had a quick search and haven't come across anything.

I was watching Days of Thunder, a film that was universally slated and described at best as Top Gun on wheels. I haven't watched it in many years, but got sucked in. It was great to see Tony Scott's trademark hazy skies, Hans Zimmer's early work and a youthful Tom and Nicole. I don't know if the psychologists among you can put the love of a terrible film down to the fact I grew up watching this and watching again brings back some sort of hidden emotion that I would not normally experience if watching for the first time as an adult. But the fact is I still love what is regarded as a terrible film.

So with this in mind, I'd be interested to hear about the films you love but shouldn't.

A few of mine are:

Days of Thunder 41% on Rotten Tomatoes
Die Hard 3 with a vengeance 51% on Rotten Tomatoes
Road house
Sunshine
Prometheus - I know this will raise the blood pressure for some

I'll leave it there for now before I create a bad impression.

There's no shame in liking Die Hard with a Vengeance!!

I usually hate Stallone films, but for some reason I really like Cliff Hanger & Demolition Man:blush:

If a similar thread already exists apologies, I have had a quick search and haven't come across anything.

I was watching Days of Thunder, a film that was universally slated and described at best as Top Gun on wheels. I haven't watched it in many years, but got sucked in. It was great to see Tony Scott's trademark hazy skies, Hans Zimmer's early work and a youthful Tom and Nicole. I don't know if the psychologists among you can put the love of a terrible film down to the fact I grew up watching this and watching again brings back some sort of hidden emotion that I would not normally experience if watching for the first time as an adult. But the fact is I still love what is regarded as a terrible film.

So with this in mind, I'd be interested to hear about the films you love but shouldn't.

A few of mine are:

Days of Thunder 41% on Rotten Tomatoes
Die Hard 3 with a vengeance 51% on Rotten Tomatoes
Road house
Sunshine
Prometheus - I know this will raise the blood pressure for some

I'll leave it there for now before I create a bad impression.

Nothing wrong about liking that one mate.

Another vote for Sunshine - and Days Of Thunder!

Watched Bad Boys 2 the other day - first time in years. Blummin loved it!!

Yeah
Independence Day - more for the effects. I hate wisecracking/macho crap in movies
Godzilla (1998) - Effects again.
Open Range - I struggle with Costner but the sound mixing for the gunshots is awesome
Crap western of the 40's and 50's
Random Harvest - woman's weepie, but - me too :blush:

There's no shame in liking Die Hard with a Vengeance!!

I usually hate Stallone films, but for some reason I really like Cliff Hanger & Demolition Man:blush:

Have to agree, it's been a while but I did like Cliff Hanger back in the day :)

Independence Day.

Sorry, but the first half of that film is effing' awesome.

Haven't seen this in a while either, I do recall the build up being very impressive as the ships come a through the clouds. Assuming this looks decent on Blu?

Most Michael Bay movies - although The Rock is genuinely fantastic.

The Phantom Menace -my favourite of the prequels.

Wouldn't put either Sunshine or Open Range in contention, both are great movies especially the latter.

Have to agree, it's been a while but I did like Cliff Hanger back in the day :)
Couldn't forgive the ending - ruthless Lithgow etc Ok I'll let her go first, or something like that.

More love for the late Tony Scott, my favourite of his is Unstoppable.

A simple story brilliantly told, great picture and mega sound quality on the blu.

Haven't seen this in a while either, I do recall the build up being very impressive as the ships come a through the clouds. Assuming this looks decent on Blu?

^this exactly.

Not added to my blu collection yet- maybe I should sort that out (its dirt cheap).

Although.. could a steelbook be justified do you think? :blush:

Must admit I really like Last Action Hero which was panned and flopped. It poked fun and was quite tongue in cheek.

A bit of Arnie is OK by me when in the mood for that sort of thing.

^this exactly.

Not added to my blu collection yet- maybe I should sort that out (its dirt cheap).

Although.. could a steelbook be justified do you think? :blush:

Certainly not the Japanese version, £110 on eBay :0

Great thread.
My one is giing to get pelters but Mamma Mia. Absolutely love it.
I'll get my coat

Tango and cash
Big trouble in little china

Did you do a search in the Movies section rather than Blu-rays, DVDs and Download Services

where I just moved this thread from ;)

Great thread.
My one is giing to get pelters but Mamma Mia. Absolutely love it.
I'll get my coat

Hilarious, I still haven't brought myself to watch this yet, I hear Mr Bond is seen in a whole new light :)
I'll keep this in mind when having to score brownie points!

Did you do a search in the Movies section rather than Blu-rays, DVDs and Download Services

where I just moved this thread from ;)

Oops, I did search ( but used different words) but you're right, this does belong in the general movies section!
Any stinkers Garrett?

Last edited:
I'm struggling with this thread as almost all the films mentioned upto now are far from terrible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom