Films with good 2nd watch value

beechy06

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I’m sure many of you like me often can’t decide between watching something new or watching something ‘old’ from our extenisve disk (or streaming) collections.

Last night I went for the second option and watched The Prestige. I remember watching this several years ago and been blown away by it, it ranks right up there for me and possibly Nolan’s best work.

So last night was just my second watch of the film and although you can never re create those first time reveals it was just as enjoyable on second view been able to look out for the subtle hints and clues dotted throughout the film, definitely a highly recommended re watch.

I always find having a few years inbetween re watches helps but what other films would you class as good 2nd watches?

This may surprise some (and again like you - best left for a couple of years) but a second watch of The Sixth Sense really was enjoyable.

Knowing that he wasn't actually in the scene it was great to watch the actors and actually try and make more sense of things that were said at the time. For example the scene of Willis meeting his wife on their anniversary was great.

I also watched this after hearing the Director say how the colour Red was used in prominent scenes in the film
A great second watch!

Prestige is a fantastic film but only watched it around 10 month ago so will revisit that in a year or so.

The only other one that springs to mind was watching The Martrix on cinema release and going back the following night to watch it again to make sense of what is real!

I find watching something old is a matter of mood.
The same with some films I haven't watched yet.

One recent-ish film I enjoy rewatching is Live Die Repeat (or whatever it's called this week) - I somehow forget bits of the film each time I see it and it's one I must've seen about 4 or 5 times now. Really is a cracking watch. Doug Liman deserves more credit imo.

'Older' films I rewatch are Lost Boys, Robocop, Aliens and Predator - for me growin up in the 80s there were the holy grails of VHS tapes to rent - always felt like a win when there were some on the shelf.

Oh and my all time favourite film, The Third Man. Try and watch it once a year. Ooh and Trading Places!

This may surprise some (and again like you - best left for a couple of years) but a second watch of The Sixth Sense really was enjoyable.

Knowing that he wasn't actually in the scene it was great to watch the actors and actually try and make more sense of things that were said at the time. For example the scene of Willis meeting his wife on their anniversary was great.

I also watched this after hearing the Director say how the colour Red was used in prominent scenes in the film
A great second watch!

Prestige is a fantastic film but only watched it around 10 month ago so will revisit that in a year or so.

The only other one that springs to mind was watching The Martrix on cinema release and going back the following night to watch it again to make sense of what is real!

Good shout Sixth Sense, again one i’ve not seen in a good few years either

I must have watched The Fifth Element over 20 times by now.

I also never tire of watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Have done for many years and introduced my 2 boys to it when they were 7 and 5. We still watch it together either Christmas Eve morning or Christmas day. They are now 19 and 17 and remind me every year it's time to watch.

Only about 90 days till we watch it again!

No, it''s Lenny Bruce and his cousin Robert The.

I think theres a distinct difference here between films that are your go to re watch ones (80/90’s action or comedy classics normally fall into this category for me) and films which make a good 2nd viewing. Those that you can appreciate the film from a different angle picking out points which you likely missed or didn’t understand fully on the first watch

I think theres a distinct difference here between films that are your go to re watch ones (80/90’s action or comedy classics normally fall into this category for me) and films which make a good 2nd viewing. Those that you can appreciate the film from a different angle picking out points which you likely missed or didn’t understand fully on the first watch
Memento is a good one & a completely different experience on the 2nd watch.

I recently watched Hacksaw Ridge again, only a few months after I watched it first, but this time I watched in 4K with my new Oppo player. Amazing! Enjoyed it probably even more than the first time. Other films I enjoy watching again are usually the old b&w war films shown on the TV. Such films as The Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex, Dunkirk (the original - much better than the re-make imho), The Longest Day etc,etc. I've watched Live, Die, Repeat a couple of times and Saving Private Ryan. I can also watch any of the Star Trek films and Star Wars films.

My missus is the one though, watched Dirty Dancing god knows how many times and any of the Harry Potter films, as well as Dantes Peak and You Have Mail.

Prisoners is a great film in general, which anybody should check out if they haven't seen it, but also great for a 2nd watch.

Try not to read up anything about the film before you watch it, you will be glad you hadn't read anything and going in fresh as it really is a fantastic film.

2001 A Space Odyssey

War of the Worlds (1953)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Films I never want to watch again

Titanic

Rouge One

Bill

I also never tire of watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Have done for many years and introduced my 2 boys to it when they were 7 and 5. We still watch it together either Christmas Eve morning or Christmas day. They are now 19 and 17 and remind me every year it's time to watch.

Only about 90 days till we watch it again!
Home alone in our house usually about now until Xmas !!

2001 A Space Odyssey

War of the Worlds (1953)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Films I never want to watch again

Titanic

Rouge One

Bill
Rouge one is that the make up sequel

I watched The Thin Red Line,3 nights in a row once.

Alien
The Thing
Halloween
Black Hawk Down

To be honest i have watched most of my collection more than once,some more time than i can remember :)

The Devil's Brigade, great acting and great characters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom