Films to test H77.

Lobo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an H77 projector for a couple of days. Anybody recommend any films that highlight any of the projectors good/bad points well?

seriously, why would you want to highlight negative points on a £3.5k investment. Seems odd - just focus on how good it is not how good it isnt.

Unless its a demo/loan.

Just my thoughts

Cap :)

Hi Def stuff will show off its good points, but I tend to agree with Cap about the bad points. :)

I can give you some scenes that will highlight anything obvious if you like though.

Gary.

Sounds like Lobo has a machine on loan .. Minority Report is a pretty good example of a difficult movie due to the deliberate graininess (is that a word?) they added, one thing you don't want to do with this one is over-tweak Sharpness. ;)

I have my sharpness at minimum.

I was thinking of U571 as good test for posterisation in chapter 15.

Gary.

Oh come on Gary, that's unfair .. is there ANY projector capable of rendering that cleanly this side of 5 figures? :)

My HT1000? :)

Which just happens to be for sale in the classifieds? :)

Actualy, the H77 is pretty good now that the software is fixed, and it's barely visible. I have the colour wheel CWI at 28, and the RGB contrast settings maxed out (but without colour crushing) with an FL-Day and a skylight filter, so I don't know if that's helping at all.

Image artefacts are a big issue with me, which initialy put me off the H77, but with the new firmware and keeping the image brightness down, I'm quite pleased with it now. With the H79 coming out soon, we might see the H77 prices coming down.

Gary.

Gary,

Having read a few of your comments regarding the H77 you never seem to be completely happy, did you not consider other makes or models?

Foghorn

Hi fog,

I wouldn't say I'm not happy, I'm just a realist. :)

No projector is perfect, and I'm not going to say that mine is just because I own it. I've tweaked it a bit and now I'm pretty happy with the image it's producing, otherwise it would be in the classifieds and not the NEC. Some may say how much better their current pj is compared to their old one, but in this case the HT1000 is still producing a very nice and very comparable picture. If there was a 1280 x 720 HT1000, I'd have bought that instead. :)

Gary.

Gary Lightfoot said:
If there was a 1280 x 720 HT1000, I'd have bought that instead. :)
My thoughts too, pity NEC seem to have lost interest in the HT market.

How do you get to fiddle with things like the colour wheel? I've never seen mention of a service menu.

Hey,

Out of interest, the usual DLP faults that we are discussing here were never evident on the Sharp z91e that I had on loan.

I wonder if the z200/201 suffer or are as clan as its older brother? In fact what abput the z10 and 12 as well.

Any users or ex users out there who can advise?

Thanks,

Cap :)

I had a Z200E before the H77, my biggest problem with it was what I think is referred to as 'mosquito dithering', of which I have yet to see any with the Optoma.

Gary,

There is no perfect projector as you say, the H77 is very competitively priced for the spec. I know you have an admiration of the Sim2 range was it simply a case that the price difference between the comparable model pushed you towards the H77.

Foghorn

Like Gary, I lusted after a Sim2 but couldn't justify the expense. The H77 brought good quality and relative silence at a price that didn't make me wince. ;)

Hi Fog,

Price was indeed a factor. :)

Plus the fact I like to tweak so it was a chance to experiement as well. The Sims have superior image processing and colour accuracy IMHO, but can also be prone to similar failings of other DLP projectors, so with the chance to tweak and at a good price, I was sold. :)

The other advantage of the Sim2 range, is that the firmware is constantly being updated and they seem to be on top of DLP developement. They were the first with the ND2+ DC3 chip and the first with it in a 3 chipper.

Like I say though, the problems that initialy put me off of it aren't there any more, so the more I watch it, the happier I am. The new firmware is likely to be the main reason for that, and although some in the US complain of panning artefacts, I have to say that I've not seen them except in Collateral (very briefly), and I think that was down to the Hi Def cameras having trouble with low lighting, and not an H77 problem.

I think the HT1000 has a smoother image, but the H77 has 60% more resolution for Hi Def, and 30% more real contrast which is noticable in the extra shadow detail that I can see. I often use Final Flight of the Osiris because that has good colours at the beginning, and lots of shadows from halfway (it's only a 15minute movie from The Animatrix). I prefer an image that is dimmer as it keeps image noise down such as mpg artefacts and DLP dither. The HT1000 is giving around 10.5ft lamberts reflected light (with an fl-day filter), and the H77 13.6 (with 2 filters), so that's one reason why the HT1000 looks smoother. The other might be because I have the H77 in pixel to pixel mode (sharper), whereas the HT1000 wasn't, so some extra smoothing may have been going on. To me it looked more filmlike yet still detailed. The H77 is very close to NEC now in many respects, and of course has the added resolution and extra contrast, so like I say, I'm quite happy now.

That's not to say that I don't think that an 8 segment colour wheel is necessarily a good thing. More segments means more spoke time and less brightness compared to 6 segments, plus some possible issues with less time for the DMD to do it's thing (posterisation, reduced colour gamut and panning artefacts), but even so, visualy I can't confirm that these are present.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom