1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films That Haven't Been on TV For A While

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Kevo, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    As I don't have any of the movie channels, I can only speak for the main terrestrial channels......

Paper Moon
    Great 'con caper' with Ryan & Tatum O'Neal
    Haven't seen this on TV for well over ten years and it's only available on VHS in the US.
    Anyone have any info on this?

Jack The Giant Killer
    Corny fx, but still fun.
    Always thought this was a 'Harryhausen film', but I don't think he was involved (and it shows!)

Annie Get Your Gun
    This hasn't been shown in well over 20 years and has only recently been released on DVD/VHS.
    It's well documented on the legal wrangles behind this film that kept it locked away for all these years.

There's probably several reasons why some films haven't been shown for a while....legal/banned, quality of old prints or old films like musicals just look TOO dated (even though i luv 'um :blush: ) for today's audiences.

The above are just a few that interest me and I'm sure that there are a lot more...Feel free to add.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    I was thinking the same thing the other day that there is a lot of film that never get shown these days.
    I also noticed that the main channels BBC/ITV hardly show films at a reasonable time most are now shown round midnight. For instance I watch one the other night called The Twilight Man albeit a B movie, about 5 years ago it would have been shown at 21:30pm after the news. As I say although it was a B movie it was far superior to the dross that is on earlier.
    As to film you never see these day well you never se much of the classic Sci-Fi/fantasy films. Which are only seem to be shown round Christmas.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i remember being quite scared by some of the creatures faces in this (when i was a kid of course - honest :)

add.....

Robinson Crusoe On Mars

one of my favourite old scifi

RKO horror classics - wolfman, frankenstein etc

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    Robinson Crusoe On Mars is one of my favorite sci-fi films also and far better than the title implies.
    Thor has motioned a DVD that will be out soon which film I have not seen on TV for ages which is A Man Called Horse. Which they could have shown when Richard Harris died.

5. EvilStench

EvilStench

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was on in Texas last week :D

6. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another gem ,this one....was on tv xmas 2001 on c4. i can remember seeing it on bbc 1 one easter in the late 1970,s and i remember it was scary even then!

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Paper Moon BBC2 18 March 01:40

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    :clap:

They must have read my post :)

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully with easter coming up we'll get some biblical classics on :smashin:

I remember sometime in th 80's BBC2 ran a season of 50's B&W SciFi stuff @ 6.00 pm. They where great. Now all we get is the Simpsons. How times have changed :(

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    I don’t think Them has been show on terrestrial for at least 20 years, and cannot remember Tarantula ever been shown, or what about the original Mighty Joe Young. But The Black Scorpion was shown not too long back.

Seems with all these new channels the BBC are doing they could make some time for them and films of other genre.

The only old films they seem to keep showing is Ice Clod In Alex, and The Cruel Sea.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    I have just been reading that they are going to make a remake of the 1954 The Creature From The Black Lagoon. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is shown on TV before the original.