• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Films on ipad mini

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I have quite a few films ripped in mp4 on my iTunes in 720p, will these play on an ipad mini, I'm thinking of getting one to put my daughters films on for the car but want to be able to put her films on.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
If you sync them over to the Mini then even 1080p will play fine if in mp4 or m4v format.

If you want to stream within your network at home, then 1080p doesn't always show up. Not investigated any further yet as to why though.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Cheers it's just I always had problems putting certain films on my iPad 1 even though they were in those formats.

bransoj

Prominent Member
POssibly worth paying £1.99 or whatever it costs for AVPlayerHD. Plays loads of formats. I have it on my iPad so i dont have to mess about converting to MP4 all the time. Just copy them into the app via iTunes and away you go.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
If anything, keeping them in formats that iTunes doesn't support, and then using a 3rd party app too, is going to be more go an issue to the iPad Mini. The reason being that the GPU is not used with non-iTunes supported files and then asks a lot more of the CPU.

Stick with the converted files and you can play everything you have.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
boredbuddha said:
Have played a few mkvs but not sure if they're 1080p. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Can you give some 1080p a try, in the interest of giving the OP any chance of knowing how this App performs?

I suspect that the Mini would struggle with BluRay rips at high bitrate in 1080p mkv without the GPU support from playing converted files. Happy to be proven wrong though, being a Mini user myself. :)

tredman

Distinguished Member
Can you give some 1080p a try, in the interest of giving the OP any chance of knowing how this App performs?

I suspect that the Mini would struggle with BluRay rips at high bitrate in 1080p mkv without the GPU support from playing converted files. Happy to be proven wrong though, being a Mini user myself. :)

Just tried using avplayer to stream a 1080p rip I made of avatar and playback was flawless - no sound initially as support for dts has been removed (don't know why), but switched audio and still was ok. If it can stream from a nas via wifi local playback will be no problem at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom