1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films I saw on holiday in the US

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by nabby, Nov 30, 2003.

1. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    I just got back from 2 weeks in Orlando and saw Bad Santa in the cinema there - absolutely hilarious! :rotfl: Can't wait for it to come out here so I can go see it again. I never realised Billy Bob Thornton was so good at comedy!

I also went to see Timeline which was entertaining enough although you can see similarities with Jurassic Park - no surpirse since they are both by Michael Crichton. It was funny hearing CNN movie reviewers describe Billy Connolly as being Irish though :D

And I was dragged off by the missus to see Looney Tunes: Back In Action as it has Brendan Fraser in it :rolleyes: :D It's like Roger Rabbit but with Looney tunes characters so was actually quite enjoyable, especially the scenes with Wil E Coyote. The fact that the main female role is played by the woman from Dharma and Greg and involves her wearing tight clothing helped too :smashin: Plus for those Heather Locklear fans out there, she puts in a rather nice appearance dressed in a leather catsuit! :clap:

2. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, I'm off for 3 weeks on Dec 17th and I'm gonna take in a few there myself, ROTK being a definite. I saw Shrek at the big cinema in Downtown Disney (UCI?) the last time I was there (God, was it that long ago :( ) and it was excellent. Then Warner Village opened here and it was almost identical to the one in Orlando :D .

I'd love to go to a THX certified cinema for ROTK so if I can't find one in Orlando I might just wait until I visit NYC for 3 days on the way home from Orlando in early Jan. :D :D

3. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Have fun! You must go to the Magic Kingdom to see the 3D film they've got on featuring lots of Disney characters and tunes.

Plus at Universal Studios they've put in Shrek 4-D which is absolutely brilliant and will keep you going (for a bit, anyway) until Shrek 2 next year.

There's a massive new cinema at the top end of I-drive near to the Belz Outlets which may be THX as they're so new...anyway, if you go before 5pm you get in for $5 (no tax to add on top) - bargain :clap:

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nabby, great stuff. I just got the keys to the villa yesterday along with a map showing where it's situated. Right behind Universal Studios off Sand Lake Road. :clap:

Listen, have you heard anything about claiming sales tax back in the States? This is my 7th time going and a couple of people have told me that I could have been claiming back all of my sales tax all these times. I suppose it makes sense as Non-EU citizens do not pay sales taxes in shops here.

5. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Michaelm,

Sounds like your place is in an ideal spot :smashin:

As for claiming tax back, you definitely can't do this coming back from the USA :thumbsdow There, sales tax applies to both residents and visitors which is annoying.

At least in Florida it is lower than some places, at only 6%. Just remember to add it on to most things you buy :)

If you're going to Canada you can claim back sales tax as a non-resident - wel done them!

Nabby

PS Don't forget to try out Krispy Kreme donuts as they're fantastic! In the UK you can only get them i Harrods in London for something like a quid each :eek: However there they cost 65 or 75 cents each :D

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What, you think I haven't already? :p

7. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    :smashin: nice one! In that case please work out how to bring some back without them going stale as i couldn't! :D

What's your fave? I erally liked the cranapple ones

:clap:

8. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I couln't decide between the creme filled chocolate topped one and the "devils food" glazed one.

mmmm... creme filled chocolate topped one, [gurgle]

Don't they come in boxes in the supermarkets? Surely that would keep them fresh.

Gonna do a number on the Longhorn Steakhouse again this year too. :D

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes that's Cinemark at Festival Bay Mall, definitely THX, saw Pirates Of The Caribbean and Finding Nemo, also free parking. :smashin:

10. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Yep that's the place! They do v nice popcorn there too :smashin:

11. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WooHoo!

12. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Don't forget "Purple is a fruit" :rotfl: !!!

They come in card boxes only afaik. Problem is stopping them from getting squashed in transit and keeping them fresh for more than a day.