Films for 3d TV?

Chrislee765

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My grandad has just brought himself a TX-P50VT20B tv with a 3d blu-ray player.
He wants to watch something in 3D, but of course the only option is a film.
He's tasked me going online to buy him a couple of films, although I'm very unsure of what I'm looking for.

Some include glasses, some dont. Some are DVD, some are blu-ray.

If anyone can point me in the direction of what I'm looking for then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

If he's got one of the new 3D Blu-ray players, and a 3DTV, you could get one of the proper 3D Blu-ray films.

Anything released before this year won't be the proper 3D type - they will be the old lower quality anaglyph 3D.

So do an search on Amazon UK or somewhere for Blu-ray 3D in the DVD/Blu-ray section in "release date" order. And look for the "Blu-ray 3D" logo.

I think "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D" might be the only 3D Blu-ray released in the UK so far that uses the new higher quality 3D (ie. that isn't anaglyph 3D).

You could get one of the anaglyph 3D ones (the ones with coloured glasses included - that work on any colour TV - not just 3DTVs), but like I said, the quality will be worse, but there is a lot more of them. Or you could wait a while till there is more than about 1 title released & available in the UK that uses the new Blu-ray 3D format.

I think Sky might be showing some of the world cup games in 3D too.

Last edited:
Did he get glasses too? If not then they also have to be bought. The first proper 3D Blu ray was Alien vs Monsters which also came with the glasses. These glasses can be used on all 3D blu ray discs. It also comes in the old analglph version. This won't be as good as the new 3D.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D Blu-ray 2009

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for your help. He did get glasses with it, 2 pairs, they are rather space age. The glasses are electronic and my grandad was trying to explain they do something 200 times a second. That's why I thought we needed something different.

Have ordered him that Meatball film, hope he likes it haha!

That's great you have glasses. There are two different techs so it would be easy to get the wrong glasses (passive and active). The active ones are the electronic ones.

All you need to do is get the films once they start coming out. The films will work with both 3D techs.

Does anyone know if the meatballs film also comes with the standard 2d version?
My daughter wanted that film and I have zeroed in on the Sammy 50" but don't have it just yet.

I don't think so. I can't find the older analyglph version and there is a 2D blu ray and dvd combo now. It is just £9 from Amazon.

Does anyone know if the meatballs film also comes with the standard 2d version?
My daughter wanted that film and I have zeroed in on the Sammy 50" but don't have it just yet.
All the new "Blu-ray 3D" format releases are supposed to also be playable in 2D. On the back of the USA 3D version it says 2D & 3D - I expect it will say the same on the back of the UK version too.

Basically for the 2D version (eg. for if you play it on a normal -Blu-ray player/TV that isn't capable of 3D) it should just output the 'base' view (either the left or the right eye view - but not both) as the 2D version.

Last edited:
Hi there,

My grandad has just brought himself a TX-P50VT20B tv with a 3d blu-ray player.
He wants to watch something in 3D, but of course the only option is a film.
He's tasked me going online to buy him a couple of films, although I'm very unsure of what I'm looking for.

Some include glasses, some dont. Some are DVD, some are blu-ray.

If anyone can point me in the direction of what I'm looking for then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

If he bought the Panasonic package (TV and Blu-ray) he can send off for two free 3D Blu-rays, Ice Age and Coraline.

Products - Blu-ray Recorders & Players - Overview - 3D Blu-ray Offer - UK & Ireland

Both Panasonic and Samsung have snapped up movies and made them exclusive to their own customers, which is really annoying as rather than build the 3D user base this just reduces the amount of 3D media available in general. Hopefully this won't be a long-term trend.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D is the ONLY true 3D movie available now with Disney's A Christmas Carol coming before Christmas and Avatar (maybe) arriving around Christmas. The good news of course is that as they make more and more movies in 3D they will transfer more to 3D blu-ray.

Aliens vs Monsters was the first one but it isn't available to buy on its own. It has to be bought with Samsung glasses.

It looks like the glasses on the above website are passive/anaglyph so they wouldn't work with any proper domestic 3D TV, like the Panasonic.

Just out of interest, where did your grandfather buy the TV and BD player? It seems strange that they didn't sort out some 3D software for him, or at least tell him the options, given that there is so little available.

£330 is complete insanity.

Although it is crazy that the manufacturers have tied up what few 3D releases there are in ridiculous exclusive deals, there is just no justification for paying that kind of money.

Still, I have to admit that apart from a few downloaded demo clips and the PS3 games, I haven't watched any full movie or TV show in 3d on my set, and I've had it for a couple of months now:blush:, so some people might be getting really desparate!

The Seller in the link below truly hit the Jackpot!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ICE AGE 3 - FULL 3D STEREOSCOPIC BLU RAY - NEW & SEALED on eBay (end time 15-Aug-10 21:01:48 BST)

I'm astounded anyone would pay that kind of money for a film, regardless of it being in 3D. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

It's always the noobs on Ebay that push up the price. They get so excited. You'll notice that the more mature Ebayers stopped bidding at the comparatively lower prices. £330 for a format that has yet to take off is crazy. Mind you, I do seem to recall many early adopters of Laser Disc shelling out small fortunes, and even pre-recorded VHS cost a lot to buy when it first came along.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It's always the noobs on Ebay that push up the price. They get so excited. You'll notice that the more mature Ebayers stopped bidding at the comparatively lower prices. £330 for a format that has yet to take off is crazy. Mind you, I do seem to recall many early adopters of Laser Disc shelling out small fortunes, and even pre-recorded VHS cost a lot to buy when it first came along.

Theres not a film in history i'd pay £330 for regardless of what they do to it, let alone for Ice Age 3! :eek:

Oh well, what people do with their own money and all that, i'm sure once they watched it they soon regretted it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom