1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

films based on 2000ad characters ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by adi, Sep 2, 2004.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all the recent comic adaptations carving out a lucrative niche in the film industry, I was wondering if any movies were planned based on characters from 2000ad.

The disaster that was "Judge Dread" aside, i reckon there are several stories that would make stunning films - Stontium Dog, Slaine, the VC's, Bad Company, Rogue Trooper, etc. Even some of the Judge Dread spin offs or story threads would make interesting viewing - the Dark Judges, Chopper, Anderson among others.

I must admit - the charactors mentioned here are from the earlier years. Ive not bought in for at least 10 years so i cant really comment on any of the more recent stuff.........but ive just got this image in my head....Gary oldman as Johnny Alpha growling "#4 cartridge" as he takes out a platoon of Kreelers.

Adi

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Personally, i would like to see the characters you mnetioned, turned into short 'animatrix' style efforts - right down to using the same diverse range of animation styles. In particlular, the adventures of the ABC Warriors, and a very cool, sharp-shooting robot ;)

Besides, i cant see anyone ever convincing Gary Oldman to wear that helmet :)

3. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There were rumours a year or so ago that a media company had acquired the rights to the make films of Judge Dredd, with the plan of starting from scratch with a new Dredd film franchise. A number of other 2000AD characters were said to have been bought at the same time. Durham Red, Rogue Trooper and, I think, Nicolai Dante were rumoured.

Even some budget estimations were produced and leaked onto the net. Since then I haven't heard anything new.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing an film adaptation of Slaine.

4. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With the Lord of the Rings successes, there must be some mileage in Slaine. I'd love to see a decent adaptation of that. ABC Warriors, Nemesis etc would also be great. Don't know about Strontium Dog though, I used to love the old Carlos Ezquerra (sp?) stuff, but not sure how it well it would translate into film thse days...

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Judge Dredd was unfortunately utter cack,but I'd just love to see something with Strontium Dog in it!

Even just Judge Dredd done properly...drokkin!

6. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My own little dream is that they get John Wagner (bows down) to write a decent script and then take it off to one of the top flight anime studios to get them to animate it. Best of all worlds I think. But sadly any adaptation of a 2000ad character will always suffer from the need to appeal to the masses and thus lose out on all of the things that make them what they are. Only superheroes are immune to this simply because they are so one-dimensional in the first place.

After the JD fiasco I have quite given up on the idea of ever seeing a film that could do the greatest character that has ever existed in British comics justice (if you will forgive the pun!).

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Thats exaxtly what I was going to say , the budgets for such movies mean that they will have to appeal to the audience they can get , PG if they thought they could get away with it , shame really

8. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is why I think the anime route is actually more superior and actually more likely. Since the budge is so much smaller then the money you have to make back is equally small to make it worthwhile. 2000ad sells about 30,000 copies a week (I believe) but think how many people are aware of it. Many, many more. If they made it mean and nasty (much more 'America' or 'Song of the Surfer' than the lighter stuff) then I really think that it could do well.

But hey, its always easy to spend other peoples money ;)