Film4 - Visible horizontal line structure?

bibooo

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't normally subscribe to Film4, but as there is a free weekend's viewing I thought I'd watch a couple of films.

The problem I am experiencing is similar to the line structure you would normally associate with interlaced NTSC material. Although to my eyes it looks a lot worse.

There are "jaggies" everywhere, people's faces, buildings, cars etc. also severe moiring only really noticeable on brickwork. This has really detracted from my viewing experience.

All channels I normally subscribe to are exactly as they have always appeared. This problem is only apparent when viewing Film4, +1, and Extreme.

I am using an NTL Digibox connected via RGB scart to a Toshiba 36ZD26P. I have tried various picture modes (100Hz, Active, Natural and Progress), but none of them eliminate the problem.

I normally view all broadcast material in Progress mode, which eliminates line structure with Pal and NTSC material. This produces one of the best pictures I have seen on a CRT, but with Film4 it cannot improve this strange line structure.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I don't subscribe either but perhaps that's what F4 looks like all the time on NTL :)

Looks ok on SKY D, nice to see a widescreen movie on a channel carried on SKY and nothing obviously wrong when viewed on my TV, 50hz RP.

However, F4 on the NTL box in the bedroom is a far inferior picture, there isn't a smooth line to be seen. I am not sure how NTL get their feed but maybe they are pulling it from the SKY feed an recompressing it before sending it over their own network.

Hang on a minute......

I've got all sorts of channels my NTL box that I don't subscribe too !
I had to ring them this morning to sort out a billing problem with my Cable Modem now I've got to start checking my base pack bills incase they've pulled at fast one :eek:

I'm sure NTL are doing something wrong, as I have never seen such a mess from a digital channel.

As far as the other NTL channels go, the picture on the whole is (marginally) superior to SKY. Friends of mine who left NTL because of the lack of interactive games etc. were disappointed by the drop in picture quality with SKY.

At least they can play alien bowling to their heart's content. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bibooo
As far as the other NTL channels go, the picture on the whole is (marginally) superior to SKY. Friends of mine who left NTL because of the lack of interactive games etc. were disappointed by the drop in picture quality with SKY.

Intersting, I would say the exact opposite:)

Starburst,

Perhaps I should have added IMO, but then again this was the opinion of seven other friends.

Anyway, I checked Film4 last night and the problem has completely gone.

So the question is:

Did anyone watch Film4 on Friday 1st November and see this strange phenomenon? I think it has something to do with NTL and Film4 combined, but who knows.

Surely there is more than 1 person out there who can be bothered to comment. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom