1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

film trailers - too much given away?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by raigraphixs, Jun 10, 2002.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,394
    Hi,

Don't you think film trailers these days, just give too much away, take the new spiderman trailer on the web, it almost the complete story. I find myself looking away in the cinemas sometimes, because a trailer is too long. Come on film companies, get your act together, and cut your trailer times down!.

They should only show clips from the first half off the movie, that way its all fresh for the scond half, with no images that have been shown.

rai

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They show to much with comedy film trailers i find. I loved the trailer for the disney film dinosaurs.

3. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes. Have done for years.

If I want to see a particular film, I try to avoid the trailers.

PK

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off the subject, but reading the chapter titles on a dvd can give away the plot too

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    The best one not to give anything away was Godzilla as you didn’t even see it before the film. Mind you I watched a Godzilla night on BBC2 and one of the pundits had been to see it in the states before it came out here and gave the end away (the guy who does when XXXX Behave Badly, Paul Shane?). So nice of him.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    yep - the most skillful of trailers, are those that make you want to see the film, but dont give anything away - this seems to be a thing of the past though.

I only ever saw a teaser trailer for 'Attack of the Clones', and even managed to avoid any revealing stills as well. My experience of watching the film was made much more rewarding for all this.

dean

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I avoid trailers too. As AccursedDelphi said, comedy trailers are by far the worst offenders. When a DVD arrives through my letter box, I am also in agreement with mcmullanbrush and I do not read the chapter titles. I also don't read the plot on the back of the box. I have found that sometimes they give too much away here as well!!

8. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the worst in recent times was K-Pax. It gave the entire plot away!
    I hate it when every set-piece/big special effect is in the trailer in order to sell the film (ie Men In Black or Mission Impossible). It feels like you have already seen it all by the time you watch the film.

I prefer teaser trailers. Much more artistic. (Anyone remember the Fifth Element teaser?) The trouble is teasers don't sell tickets in the same way proper trailers do.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about teasers. I don't remember the teaser for the Fifth Element (I'll have to have a quick look at them on the DVD now :rolleyes:). I do remember the teasers for Being John Malkovich however - they were excellent (great movie too :)).

I'm glad I haven't seen any trailers for K-Pax. Just saw the interview on Parkinson :) (Incidentally, what's the film like Jade - any good?)

10. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not as good as the book (when are they ever!) but still a great film - good performances from Spacey and Bridges. I would definitely recommend it, a good film with no guns, violence or explosions! :)

Buy it honey - you won't regret it! ;)

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol. Yes ma'am! ;)

Just seen it on cd-wow for £13.99 so have ordered it.. Synopsis sounds my cup of tea anyway :D Cheers :p

12. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel,

I see you can't sleep either dear! :rolleyes:

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'joys' of working from home for most of the week :rolleyes:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Jade, you were right :) K-Pax arrived this morning (13th) - aren't cd-wow quick? :D Just finished watching it and I loved it! :) :)

Watched the trailer afterwards and OH MY GAWD! ARE THEY CRAZY???????? :eek:

15. m.d

m.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The trailer for K-pax exactly. I saw the trailer then the film at the cinema (which was released 6 months after america), it practically told the story in order. Especially "I have a beam of light to catch" OMG. Though you make what you like of the ending, like many films, some simple (A.I) some not (The Usual Suspects)

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    m.d why don't you edit your post to remove Prot's quote so you don't ruin the film for those who want to avoid the trailer ;)

I think the ending was clearly defined.

Didn't think much of the alternate ending.