1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film trailers.... or traitors?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by The_kUrGaN, Aug 19, 2005.

1. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's always bugged me this one. It is a fine line between giving someone a 'taster' of a film and revealing so much that you have many of the main points of a film already in your head before you see it.

These days that 'fine line' seems to be regularly trampled over without any respect for us cinema goers. As far as I am concerned we are forever being pummelled with 'lazy' trailers. The ones that show all the best bits with no imagination fall into this category. It takes too much effort it seems to create a 'different' or original trailer. I remember the ones that give away little and leave you wanting to find out more. They even show bits specially shot for trailers. Am I alone in this?

I'm sick of turning up to watch a film and having to block my ears and shut my eyes (yes I do it...sad I know) when the films I am looking forward to seeing are carelessly exposed in front of me, often in trailers that seem to last for ever and show more and more as release date nears.

Look at it this way....why is the latest Harry Potter book surrounded by such secrecy prior to release date? Why aren't fans forced to witness revelations from the book every time they go in to Waterstones prior to release day? Why is it any different? Why are book lovers treat with more respect than film lovers?

Read the back cover of any book and you get a brief synopsis. Enough to give you a taster of the starting point and the direction....but nothing more.

If a film trailer gives you major points from the story, the only thing you have to look forward to is how they join together. But, the fact you are given these points automatically forces presumptions about the film. In other words if a trailer is about a guy in prison, and later shows him in a car chase, you automatically rightly presume that he escapes at some point, however greater anticipation would surely be derived from not knowing if he manages to escape or not.

Certain scenes in a trailer may not mean anything to you at the time, but brains are clever. It stores these snippets away until you are actually watching the film, when it then triggers connections with the trailer which will fill in more and more of the later parts of the film before you actually see them.

Alright, I know the solution is to look an idiot with my balaclava on back to front, or never go to the cinema ,or to arrive at film start time and risk not sitting in a decent seat. But I don't see why we should be treat with such contempt by the dumbing down trailer makers. :mad: But realistically what can we do?

There...I feel better for that. :smashin:

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I saw the F4 trailer and felt like i'd seen the whole film.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    An extremly good point and well made :smashin:

I do like a good trailer. Sometimes it can be better than the film you have gone to see. Some times a trailer can make or break a film (would the phantom menace have done so well if it was not for the fantasic trailer :confused: )

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,375
    It seems its rare nowadays for a trailer not to give away the best bits of a film but I was suprised by the trailer for Stealth. After watching it I already had an idea in my head of what the film would end like but it went off in a different direction about 40mins before the end and that was a nice suprise, shame more film trailers dont do that.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    Years ago I saw the trailer for The Sea Wolves.
    It was the whole film done in clips from the start to the end.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    That's why I avoid watching any trailers:(
    Totally agree.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    i must be sad too then, cos i do the same thing. Glad i'm not alone in this :) . I keep looking for one of those LA-LA gadgets, but no luck so far.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw the King Kong trailer the other day. Totally spoils it when you find out that there is a giant monkey in it! :mad:

Just kidding - couldn't agree more, been saying this for years... the worse this summerr was Mr & Mrs Smith - it gave away the entire plot, plus the twist :thumbsdow

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm a member of the self blind la la club as well. :thumbsup:

10. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    Thanks mate. You could have given a spoiler warning

11. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The trailer for the Island was good.

Mr Bays films are not known for their interweaving plotlines, but to give away the only two "suprises" in the trailer seemed a strange decision.