Film Review - Wonder Woman 2017

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
The poor Gal ;) looks pregnant on the header pic , I had to do a double take on me smart phone :laugh:.

The trailer looked overblown toss frankly. DC has had some good stuff but, much like most of the other Marvel films, they've all been middling stories bolted to CGI that appears to be edited to induce seizures. Doctor Strange, Watchmen, X Men DoFP, exceptions with storylines at least a little different but this looks like the same old story, in different clothes.

Just got back from seeing this and agree with the score 7/10 or three stars out of five which everway you roll is about right.

The first two thirds of the film are really rather enjoyable , from the island of Women Warriors shifting to period London all rather well and for the first time in the DC universe a story with characters you can follow and understand which has a heart it was going all rather well, but then the third act happens and Zynders finger prints are all over it which real killed the movie for me and it just ended up like MoS and BvS, bolted CGI mess hitting each other and all the good character work done beforehand wasted.

So a massive step in the right direction for DC , the first 2/3 of the film are better then the previous three DC films put together, but if this was in the Marvel universe it would be mid-tier for me and doesn't get to to the highs of Winter Solider or Civil War in that universe, but good one on Patty Jenkins for the good stuff in the film, she along with her cast and crew should be proud as it took a women touch to bring some life in to the DC world.

On a side note what a shame Jenkins didn't do Thor 2, also makes me want to watch Monster again, her last film she did way back in 2003.

Last edited:

Did you watch this in IMAX 3D or the regular 2D version?

As I caught this in IMAX on opening night and was wondering if the post-production conversion to 3D was partly responsible for how shoddy the CGI looked in some of those battles o_O

Wish I'd opted for the 2D Dolby Atmos version in the neighbouring Superscreen with hindsight, as the 3D in Wonder Woman was utterly woeful compared to GotG2 and PotC5.

Did you watch this in IMAX 3D or the regular 2D version?

As I caught this in IMAX on opening night and was wondering if the post-production conversion to 3D was partly responsible for how shoddy the CGI looked in some of those battles o_O

Wish I'd opted for the 2D Dolby Atmos version in the neighbouring Superscreen with hindsight, as the 3D in Wonder Woman was utterly woeful compared to GotG2 and PotC5.

I'd heard bad things about the 3D so saw it in 2D Atmos X-Plus and really didn't have many reservations about the CG.

Looking forward to this one. From interviews Gal seems like an awesome chick as well as being hot af

So few of these films ever knock it out of the park these days.
Guardians of the galaxy 1 , Deadpool and winter soldier are the only ones in recent memory...the rest generally very average or poo

I thought this was pretty good, easily an 8. Admittedly the last act wasn't as strong, but I felt the dynamic between the 2 leads made it a pretty strong show. Better than anything marvel have churned out since The Winter Soldier for sure.

Gal was also much better than she's being given credit for on here, in my opinion.

Been a Wonder Woman fan all my life. Absolutely loved the tv show and even met Lynda Carter in London once when she performed in Chicago. Got her autograph on my DVDs. Just check out my avatar as well lol. So waited my whole life for this movie and cannot wait for Sunday. We've booked 3D 4DX in Cineworld Cardiff. Chairs move, water in your face, mist from the screen bullets fly past you etc. Never experienced this way of watching a movie yet and whilst it's more like a theme park attraction, I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll report back.

I thought it was really good and so did my friends... easily an 8! I thought the pacing was spot on and didn't realise we were in three for over two hours. I saw it in IMAX 3D which was great spot on and can't wait for the 3D Blu-ray.

When will it be on Sky or NetFlix !!

Saw this tonight. The journey was way better than the destination, which we've seen a hundred times before. A solid and entertaining 7/10 until the climax, where it descended into crappiness.

Saw this tonight. The journey was way better than the destination, which we've seen a hundred times before. A solid and entertaining 7/10 until the climax, where it descended into crappiness.

Having just watched Wonder Woman for a 2nd time, in 2D with a different group of mates this time around, I once again found myself enjoying the first half but the latter really dragged.

The opening Thor-style act had some good action sequences before it went a touch Pygmalion which was quite amusing (Lucy Davis got the most audience laughs at both screenings) but The First Avenger part felt hackneyed before the dire
X-Men Apocalypse
finale which (as you say) has been done to death over the past decade :facepalm:

Rather like Suicide Squad, it feels like this movie has been made by a committee and whilst it's not as much of a mess it still feels disjointed. Perhaps there will be a Director's Cut which will provide a tighter narrative than this overlong theatrical release.

I absolutely loved it.

It feels like this is getting the typical DC tax in some reviews - getting criticised for not being Marvel (which is a good thing).

There were 3 guys in my screening who slagged it off from about 2 minutes in (before it had even started properly).

It feels like this is getting the typical DC tax in some reviews - getting criticised for not being Marvel (which is a good thing).

Really? I haven't read or watched a single review that has said anything of the sort.

And if anything, it's the most 'Marvel' of any DC movie to date.

I like super hero films but I'm tiring of super-powered fist fights.

I watched this yesterday with my two boys. Absolutely loved it. I didn't find it over long at all. Wonder Woman has an interesting back story and Greek myth is no more crazy than half the characters in the MCU. I'd give it a good 8.5.

lucasisking said:
And if anything, it's the most 'Marvel' of any DC movie to date.

Pretty much this. If this was a Marvel movie i think it would have received more than a 7.

Add some elements of humour into a
Superhero movie and do a straightforward origin and it's the Marvel way.

I should add that I absolutely loved b vs s as well.

Pretty much this. If this was a Marvel movie i think it would have received more than a 7.

Add some elements of humour into a
Superhero movie and do a straightforward origin and it's the Marvel way.

I should add that I absolutely loved b vs s as well.

Going to see it very soon and really looking forward to it, Wonder Woman is one of my favourite DC characters. I agree people love to bash DC movies whatever chance they get.

I loved B vs S and Man of Steel. Awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom