Film Review: Ready Player One

Really looking forward to this now. :)

Interesting. I had written this off as some of the word of mouth from the US was bad, and to be frank, the trailers looked absolutely awful. Like an FMV intro from a PS2 game. I guess that's the point though, it's supposed to look like a video game, albeit one from years back.

As for 3D, given that this is basically a roller coaster/theme park attraction rather than a movie, perhaps it makes sense. Avatar I saw the same way, although that was on a gigantic full size 1.33:1 IMAX. Normally I avoid 3D at all costs, as it just makes everything look like a pop up childrens' book, but that's probably due the horrific 3D conversion process many movies are subjected to. As this is mostly pure CG, I assume it will be "real" 3D?

Visually stunning, but all style over substance.

Thought this was a really fun movie. Feels like Spielberg cut loose, the Oasis is lavishly realised and the camera work is constantly swooping and dancing all over the place. The opening race sequence is possibly the best I’ve seen in years, it’s totally crazy. The rest of the film doesn’t top it. There’s so many nods and references, half the fun was talking about who we spotted afterwards. It’s not perfect, the script at times struggles to hide the fact it’s exposition heavy and they cram a lot in to the nearly two and half hours, possibly at the expense of fleshing out the characters but it’s hard to not get swept up in it though and it has a topical message.
8/10

Last edited:
I’ve not read it, I’m not hugely inclined to either, everyone I know that has, across the board, said it was crap.
It's not crap by any stretch of the word. One of my favourite books and audio books of all time. I recommend it.

I listened to the unabridged audio book read by Wil Wheaton and really enjoyed it - not crap imo - maybe living in the 80's helps?

seems weird that this film is not on in my local multi plex till 28.3.18 - pacific rim uprising iS on before it in the midlands

I think I will see it in imax 3D - maybe

The book is brilliant abd never heard any negative comments till now lol
The book really is huge fun. I'm hoping for the same from the film.

For those lucky enough to have already seen it, how did you rate the soundtrack? Is it a pretty good mix of 80s/90s music and Alan Silvestri's score?

Last edited:
I saw in 3D last night and thought it was amazing. Great Alan Silvestri score and the amount of pop culture crammed in it is staggering. Definitely warrants 2nd viewing just to see more of the pop culture you miss (and there is a lot). Speilberg did a good job of this.

Would you recommend 3D over 2D? Were the oasis scenes particularly suited to 3D?

Would you recommend 3D over 2D? Were the oasis scenes particularly suited to 3D?

It may have just been the screen I saw it on, or the fact that I saw it straight after watching Tomb Raider in 3D and probably had a bit of eye strain, but I wasn’t very impressed with the 3D in this. I did love the film however.

For those lucky enough to already seen it, how did you rate the soundtrack? Is it a pretty good mix of 80s/90s music and Alan Silvestri's score?

There were a lot of 80’s tracks in the first half of the movie. The score was good but I’d have to see it/hear it again.

3D was just depth more than stuff in your face. I would go and see it again on imax just to try and see more of the iconic stuff in it. So much going on at once.

I’ve not read it, I’m not hugely inclined to either, everyone I know that has, across the board, said it was crap.
I've read it an it was my favourite book of last year, as it has been said previously, growing up in the 80s and playing the games referenced really helped. His other book (Armada) is pretty good as well :clap: Looking forward to seeing this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom