Film Review: It

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sharuna Warner, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Sharuna Warner

Sharuna Warner

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +231
    2. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      Saw this last night at the 12.05 am opening showing. Loved it but I'm a massive fan of Currys version too. I don't think either is better or worse,just different. Oddly enough I felt some of the characters weren't as fleshed out as in the other version (can't say original as it technically wasn't a film),there was just something missing as we got to know each of them. Also I thought the CGI was overused at times but then this made it easy to show ITs power more. Pennywise was fantastic though and the star of the show imo.

I'm not a massive fan of Stephen Kings books though,to be honest. I think he's VERY overrated as an author and there's no denying he's got an amazing imagination but to me he couldn't put his ideas into words and absorb the reader. I've always prefered Shaun Hutsons work,I read them all when I was young(er) but Cujo and Misery were the only King books I actually finished. His stories have made some excellent adaptions though.

All in all a solid 8 or 9 from me. Looking forward to another viewing at home when released and of course chapter 2.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,301
      Pretty high mark. I was expecting a 5 at the most. I'm intrigued about seeing it now, but I still cautious. I really liked the idea of Cary Joji Fukunaga directing it with Will Poulter starring as IT. I'd have raced out to the cinema to see that version of the film.

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21,665
      Poulter lost enthusiasm in playing Pennywise hence he was switched out

Muschietti;

5. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      It's well worth a night out to the cinema. I think it's the kind of film that won't be appreciated until after a couple of viewings though,often the best films :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    6. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,687
      It had pretty good reviews :)

7. jasonmode7

jasonmode7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Another remake zzzzz

8. QuestShield

QuestShield
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,405
      A remake? Not so much a remake but a new, better version of Stephen King's book methinks.
      What we need now is a MUCH better take on The Stand, as the 90's tv version isn't up to scratch at all.
      BTW Stephen King isn't overrated, he's a fantastic author, he's got the magic so many others lack.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    9. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,904
      There have been some woeful adaptations of King's stories, but let's not forget there have been some crackers too.

I wasn't interested in IT when it was announced, but after the reviews I'm looking forward to this.

10. Jakirrr21

Jakirrr21

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +265
      Saw this last night and was blown away by how good it was, as was most people in the cinema after it finished. There wasn't a single seat that wasn't filled and it was a big screen too. Go watch it if you're on the fence. You'll float too..

• Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    11. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,135
      Amazing when you consider T23D at my large local cinema was only 3/4 full at most!

12. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,028
      How "horror" is it in terms of gore please? My other half won't do too much gore but enjoyed the likes of Penny Dreadful and Stranger Things.

13. Sharuna Warner

Sharuna Warner

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +231
      It has more gore than the 1990s adaptation- but it's not anything like a Saw or Texas Chainsaw Massacre... more creepy than gory I'd say - if that helps? :)

14. steve iow

steve iow

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +38
      Anybody on the fence as to Stephen King being a good author just read,The Stand, The Shining and Salems lot to start with,then make up your mind.Cant wait to see this movie

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    15. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +519
      I went to see this last night. I did really enjoy it - the young actors are excellent and it easily a superior product than the TV version.

However i was slightly disappointed that it does still rely quite heavily on jump scares.

16. Werewolfs

Werewolfs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,364
      Took myself to see this today at local Imax. First time ever that I have been to a cinema on my own. So it was a big draw/deal for me.
      I loved 'it'. It did not disappoint at all. The relationship between the losers was a joy to behold. Plenty of creepy bits as well. Solid 9/10 for me.
      Special mention to the lad that played Ben. One look he gave Beverly was pure heartbreaking

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    17. ch1z

ch1z

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      IT as a book is up there with one of his best pieces of work. So really if they can make good with the source material there is no reason why is should be bad. I have not seen it but believe the CGI would be a bonus to the film given what happens in the book. I know they are different mediums and I don't agree one should be like the other. The one thing he can do is characters you care about and that should translate well into film....

18. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +87
      Watched it this afternoon with my horror averse other half. Thought it was superb, first class acting from all, but especially the kids, so natural and convincing.

When we got home my own kids had managed to leave us (well for the wife really!) a number of surprises around the house! I'm so proud!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 17
      • Like Like x 15
      • List
    19. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,697
      I've been working down in Birmingham on my own, so went out tonight to see 'It' at the iMax.

Horror is not really my thing, but this was a simply terrific film that was elevated by the young cast who were totally convincing and acted their socks off.

This film clearly demonstrates the rather large difference difference between film-making and story-telling. I was totally engaged with the characters, and there were so many nuances and much inferred storytelling that made the film so rich and compelling.

Thats two great movies I've seen in a row (The first one being The Limehouse Golem).

It sure has been a while since that happened.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    20. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      May take a trip to the cinema to see this, but IT is definitely a film I want to try out on my system at home. There was just something about Tim Curry as IT that used to spook me as a kid.

21. sue_hall

sue_hall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +437
      Morning,

Going to see this later in the week and can't wait. Really pleased it's getting great reviews as when it was announced I didn't;t hold high hopes!

Do we have a Avforums stake by the way, because these people saying Stephen King isn't a good writer should be burned at it

IMHO, he's a fantastic writer.

I think what people expect from King is fast paced shock after shock - Ala Jame Herbert's Rats / Domain type horror. That isn't his style, he builds things up, describing the areas and building the characters. He's a slow screw turner basically. I do though accept his style isn;'t to everyone's taste, but he's not a bad writer.

Some of his books I love.

The Stand
      Carrie
      Salems Lot
      Cujo
      IT
      Misery
      The Green Mile
      The Long Walk
      Needful Things
      Pet Sematary
      Bag Of Bones
      The Girl who loved Tom Gordon.
      Different Seasons (this has the Shawshank Redemption in it)

Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    22. connect

connect

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +174
      Me and the GF went to watch it yesterday. We must be the only two people that thought it was boring. After 45 mins I was wishing the end would come. We're in the minority though it seems. IMO 9 out of 10 is way way too much. But that's why it's 'IMO'. Everyone is different and what tickles my fancy may not yours. Ooh err.

23. bootyman81

bootyman81
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,757
      I had zero interest in seeing this but had just watched Wind river (Ace film btw) and I went outside and it was slashing it down so I went back into the cinema and thought I'd give it a try on the super screen, (it was just about to start)
      So glad I did...fantastic film, what I didn't expect was the awesome nostalgia ride of 80'S style amblin entertainemnt mixed with bone shaking horror, super charming cast and really funny in places but that friggin' clown man!
      Loads of jump outta your seat stuff in there.
      Great film, great entertainment!
      Easy 8/10 (from someone who is not a fan of horror)

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    24. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      The film makes great use of surround sound.Hopefully the 4K and standard bluray will have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.I can't wait to watch it at home.

25. bootyman81

bootyman81
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,757
      Agreed!
      The atmos in the cinema I saw it in was pretty effective and it was turned up LOUD! Which always helps :D

26. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +239
      It's not a remake, this is the first movie made of the book - you're thinking of the mini series from 1990.

Watched it on Saturday with my partner, my first horror movie at the cinema. Brilliantly made film and was a shared experience with the other viewers, though I noticed I was the only one there who had no reaction to the scares.

27. Goooner

Goooner
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14,830
      One of my favourite books, despite all the great reviews, there was that nagging doubt in my mind that they'd somehow mess it up. I needn't have worried, it was great.

Not perfect, there's a couple of bits missing that I would've like to have seen and a couple of things they did differently, which I suppose was understandable, due to them not knowing there definitely would be a part 2 or not.

Saw it in 4DX which just added to the atmosphere (sadly not something I'll be able to replicate at home :) ) they bit at the beginning with Gerogie in the storm, with wind blowing at you and rain falling down onto you, brilliant and the bathroom bit. Well worth the extra.

Only way it could be better, would be as a 13 or 14 hour HBO/Netflix type series, with the production values of GoT or Stranger Things, would love to see the Stand done like that as well.

28. vader100

vader100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +592
      I've read the book many times since my first reading back in 1987 and had little enthusiasm for this. How wrong was I! An excellent film, whilst changing and re-imagining many aspects of the book, it managed to capture the heart and spirit. Pennywise is embodied more as a hunter than Curry's excellent depiction but that difference sits perfectly with the tone of the film. It is a wonderful performance and that seemingly ever present drip of drool from his mouth chilled me for some reason. The depiction of the
      deadlights was wonderfully done and it will be interesting if the explore the more abstract parts of the book like the turtle in the second film
      . 9/10 for me and roll on Chapter 2.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    29. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +934
      For me it was like an extended episode of Stranger Things, which is no bad thing, I don't really remember the original so went in a bit blind tbh, thought it was ok 6.5/10
      I must say there are some very talented young actors around now as well. The surround sound was very good should be good in Atmos at home.

30. PaxtonSage

PaxtonSage

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +132
      I saw this the day after release as I was a big fan of the original even though it had its obvious flaws. I was more than happy with Pennywise but unfortunately his voice didn't quite sit well with me, is it just me or did it come across as a creepy as hell Scooby Doo?

The scares were great and there was plenty of humour but where most applaud the laughs I felt it had a slightly negative effect on the overall tone of the film as I just couldn't relate that a bunch of kids that are being tormented by unspeakable horrors one minute would be joking around the next. If this side had been toned down slightly I think the feeling of fear would of been more effective.

In general a good effort from the Mama director, another film I enjoyed and look forward to Chapter 2.

8/10