Film Review: It Comes at Night

I really enjoyed this when I saw it a few weeks ago. Well, maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word, I felt devastated and thoroughly defeated after it was over, but I mean that in the best way. It did a great job at building tension through small and quiet moments. And the ending is genuinely gut wrenching.

I was disappointed to find many people didn't like it though. I noticed that the few people that were at the screening I saw almost all either groaned or laughed when the movie ended, which I don't think the movie deserves. It avoids giving us information about certain things, and while there are apparently quite a few people that don't appreciate that, I thought it worked to the movie's credit. The ambiguity that we have to deal with essentially matches the ambiguity that the characters in the movie are also dealing with. We don't know anything because they don't know anything...

I would highly recommend it to those that like a more psychological type of horror.

Thanks for the review Sharuna, this sounds spot on so tickets booked for tue.

wow 8!!! same as spiderman??? this film about nothing and nothing happened was so contrived it was hilariously bad. when I left the screen there were 3 members of the audience actually shouting at the screen this was sh*t and other expletives.. cant say I've ever seen that before. what did amuse was a review on imdb saying the movie's budget was $4 million and $3 million of that was for the bogus high review scores lol

Totally understand the hate for this, it's been sold as horror film and it really isn't. It's more a psychological drama with thriller elements. I thought it was a good watch. It's tremendously atmospheric and tense, with brilliant use of music. There's really not much plot or twists or scares. I wondered afterwards if the whole film was the director/writer's metaphor on the state America is in today, i.e. Isolate yourself through fear and dangerously lash out at everyone else.... just my take on it, but it is a draw your own conclusions kinda of film. You won't get any answers on screen. I liked it. My friends, ranged from it was ok, to utter confusion, to strong dislike. The screening was quite full, but I sensed a restlessness, I found it rather gripping though and would recommend it as long as you know what you're going into.
8/10

Saw this on the weekend.. After enjoying 'Krisha' so much I was keen to see what Trey Edward Shults did next. He doesn't disappoint with this. Superbly tense, and with a chilling atmosphere of dread, this is a post apocalyptic psych chiller. This movie will probably get lots of hate from those who are expecting a horror film. Because it's not a horror film.

The paranoia and isolation that the family go through must have been quite personal to Shults as he has spoken about his losses quite openly. There was not a single dud performance, so much so that it's difficult to pick a stand out. Plus, the score by Brian McOmber is absolutely spot on in nailing the creepy dread at every corner. Movie of 2017 so far.

8.5/10

You will either love or hate this film and I'm glad to say it lived up to the review and I loved it. A psychological nitemare that lets your imagination fill in most of the pieces instead of the usual jump shock fare we are used to. Great performances throughout and the sense of dread and battle between right and wrong never let up. Well worth checking out but if your expecting a full on horror, as some in our screening were, you will be disappointed. 8/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom