Film Review: Hostiles

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Casimir Harlow, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,997
      • Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. silouette

silouette

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +82
      Very much agree with the above review, such a nearly film with so much promise. But just failing to deliver in so many areas. Twould seem to have been better suited to a mini series were we could have really got into the main characters and of the native Americans and other underplayed supporting cast.
      Definitely would have liked a bit more use of those Comanche tracking skills when a couple of the group were taken,and "spoiler alert " all to suddenly found. A little more filmic explanation and evidence of an obviously traumatic moment that we were left to imagine would also have been much appreciated.
      Although on an emotional level it did tug at my heart strings and I cried at least three times.
      ( but I cry at Masterchef)

3. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,482
      Much the same was said about Free State of Jones as is being said of Hostiles, better suited to a good TV mini series, which with today's production and acting values, is no longer a slur. I'm very unlikely to see this in the cinema so will look forward to a blu ray offering which I will certainly buy. Nothing beats Wes Studi on a mission against the white man.

4. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,568
      You may be disappointed

5. jock1

jock1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Watched this today ,enjoyed perfomances of Christian Bale ,Rosamund Pike .Wes Studi still plays a great role as Native American , seems to have been around long time. Token role for Paul Anderson " Arthur " from Peaky Blinder .. Well worth the visit 7/10 seems right.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,352
      I thought he was dead, played some great villains as well, I will always remeber his final scene in Deep Rising:rotfl:

7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,810
      Watched this in a near empty auditorium last night (can’t recall any U.K. publicity tour so no surprise really) and as a fan of westerns I found it to be well worth a visit to the cinema for those epic vistas; a pity that Hostiles wasn’t shown in Superscreen as I see it had a 4K digital intermediate.

However I have to concur with Cas et al who found the story a bit lacking, which made the ending feel a tad hollow; despite some gut wrenching moments along the way plus excellent performances from Bale and Pike.

I might stretch to 7.5/10 just because it was such a rare treat to see a Western in the multiplex though!

8. Uppsalaing

Uppsalaing

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +349
      Late to the party as I missed this in cinema...

Just watched this... While it is flawed, it towers above most recent Westerns and ALL tv series, including the quite good mini series, in how cinematic it is...

Nothing on TV looks like this... No could it ever, it would be riddled with close ups, faster edits and least cinematically, exposition...

I understand the appeal of mini series and they have improved tremendously, but they do work differently from movies... What we gain in information, we would lose in mood and atmosphere in my opinion...

Glad people are still aiming to make films, even if they miss their target... Hostiles deals with relevant themes, with the captain faced with a changed political paradigm, his warior values and sense of honor and duty betrayed by altered political circumstance... The pain of coming to terms with that and finding meaning elsewhere, in compassion for an innocent and empathy for an enemy, etc... It seemed to me as much of a reckoning with America's recent wars and it's place as empire as it is a confrontation of it's colonial history... But i digress..

Also, the picture quality on AppleTV4K was good... Love that 35mm look and it's encouraging to see a 4K DI...