Film Review & Discussion: Paddington 2

I think her comments caused a stir is due to the fact that the reviewer didn't back her claims that Immigrants are treated a certain way with any real hard evidence or facts. Not that she actually had an opinion. Which we are, all entitled to.
Eh? So our kind reviewer is not allowed to post an opinion without presumably trotting out “Hard evidence or facts” then? So what “Hard evidence or facts” can you present that counters her valid opinion? No, thought not...

Can people get their heads out of their arses (or others' arses) and just watch the film.

I saw Paddington 2 last night and loved it, in fact I think it was better than the first film. It's funny and charming, with a wonderfully positive message of tolerance and multicultural harmony. The little bear will have you in tears of laughter and occasionally sadness, whilst Hugh Grant delivers the performance of his career as the villain.

Loved the first film, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Eh? So our kind reviewer is not allowed to post an opinion without presumably trotting out “Hard evidence or facts” then? So what “Hard evidence or facts” can you present that counters her valid opinion? No, thought not...

Eh?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'd like you to point out, in any of my posts, where I have agreed or disagreed with the reviewers political statements so why ask me to point out "hard evidence or facts" to counter her opinion?!?!?

Please, could you tell me where I agreed, or disagreed with the reviewer? No, thought not....!!!

So please,stop assuming you know what my political views are on this subject! Whatever they are, I wouldn't be putting them on Forum about a movie!

My point was I don't think some of the statements are relevant, especially the "like so many other immigrants – wrongly accused.." which to me, does not belong in a movie review on an AVForums!

You are of course entitled to your own opinion if they do or not.

You specifically asked, did you not, for the aforesaid “Hard facts and opinions” from our esteemed reviewer? Maybe you should spend time dwelling on how ludicrous this request is in the context of a movie review.

Originally I did not ask for any evidence of her views, I was merely pointing out why other people took offence from the reviewer from her original remarks about immigrants. And to me if you are going to make bold statement like that then yes I do think you should back it up with facts, but I DO NOT expect the reviewer to put those facts or evidence in the movie review..... because you are missing my whole point......

Political statements like that should not be in a movie review in the first place, those statements are for a different political forum not on a movie review! Where "Hard Fact" and opinions can be discussed!!

What is disturbing is the fact that some see it as being a political statement as opposed to it merely extolling the narrative behind Paddington bear. The reviewer wasn't politicising the review, those honing in upon a very brief nod towards the actual narrative behind Paddington bear are though. Most people wouldn't have had issue with the review and wouldn't have noticed the analogy in the context it has been portrayed by others had those others not mentioned it or made it an issue. If you truly believe that the reviewer is out of order then you shouldn't go see this film, read the books or eat marmalade sandwiches! Paddington bear was an immigrant and he does have to encounter some of the prepuce that other non fictional immigrants unjustly endure. This is the narrative of Paddington bear.

Besides which, the reviewer can write whatever they want. You suggesting otherwise is what they call censorship. THere's no place for censorship in a free society, not when what is being put forward isn't illegal or obscene.

Should I have embolded the last paragraph?

This review will get some people banging their fists on tables
An immigration lawyer reviews Paddington

and this:
Paddington 2 is an anti-Brexit film where the villains have the narrowest minds

LOL

Last edited:
To be honest I rarely read Movie reviews and only read this one due to some comments!

But to me the statement "like so many other immigrants – wrongly accused" does not belong in a movie review. That's not censorship, as there is a time and a place to make statements like that and there are many, many forums that cater for Political views where the subject can be discussed/argue more. But in my opinion, a movie review on an Audio/Visual forum is not that time and place!

That is my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

That is my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Exactly. Surely the reviewer should also be awarded the same freedoms to express their point of view as well? Isn't that what a review is? If you dislike that point of view then you are free to no longer follow that reviewer. You've no right at all to demand that the reviewer's work be censored because you dislike what was written.

Demand? Who is demanding anything?!?! Where exactly did i demand, or even ASK the reviewers work be censored?!?!?! Please quote my post where I am demanding anything!! I am giving my opinion that is all!!!

Please do not put words in my mouth!!

I did not DEMAND the reviewers work be censored, I merely commented that, IN MY OPINION that one particular statement doesn't belong in a movie review on a forum website that is about Audio/Visual!

I really cannot be bothered continuing this discussion to be honest. I've made my point, I feel it doesn't belong on this website, that is my opinion, you clearly don't agree - so let's leave it at that!

It isn't for you to decide what the reviewer's point of view should be or whether or not they should be allowed to express it within their work.

You're correct it's not for me to decide that at all. That was done by somebody else who removed the statement.

I never once asked it to be removed. I merely stated that I didn't agree with it being in a movie review. I'm not sure why you keep mis-quoting me.

Now, please refer to the last paragraph of post #36.

Now, please refer to the last paragraph of post #36.

Why should this be of any interest to me?

You can go wherever you want, whenever you want and I'm not obligated to stop posting to the thread just because you've decided to discontinue.

Last edited:
AGAIN you put words in my mouth. Where does it say in that paragraph you have to go anywhere or stop posting?! I'm saying I won't be continuing with the discussion with you. Are you a Politician by any chance!?!

Goodbye.

AGAIN you put words in my mouth. Where does it say in that paragraph you have to go anywhere or stop posting?! I'm saying I won't be continuing with the discussion with you. Are you a Politician by any chance!?!

Goodbye.

AGAIN, why has anything you wrote in that paragraph of any interest to me?

Are you asking my permission if you can refrain from posting? No, so why are you asking I read it? You go do whatever you want. You are not required to inform everyone when you no longer wish to participate.

Fine, I've removed the offending five words. Now can everyone just chill out and go and see the film!

I feel I've missed out as I didn't see those five words that have fired up so many here. I loved the first film purely as a piece of entertainment and I hope this one will do the same for me. If it also makes a political point then fair enough. Films often make political comments so why shouldn't this one? The reviewer is fully entitled to air her views here whether we agree with them or not.

Bri

Mod Comment I don't know what Steve Withers removed in his comments or the review but I think its time we got back on to the film rather than criticizing the review of it, the points been made now lets move on.

But the really important questions are:

Is Paddington 2 a good film despite Brexit ........?

Has Mr. Brown apologised for putting his hand on Mrs. Birds knee ...... ?

Should he resign - yes or no ?

With what species of bear does Paddington self-identify himself with ..... ?

And finally, why do I, and so many of my contemporaries, no longer understand this modern world anymore, where you can no longer say what you think......

Just watched a trailer for this and it looks fantastic!

I must admit that I had no interest at all in the first film but this does look hugely entertaining (and I know that that's a trailer's job).

Oh, and just read a piece about it in Empire magazine and the film maker himself says that it was intended to be a sly dig at anti-immigration:

"Hopefully, those themes of kindness and seeing the good in people and understanding are universal and, sadly, universally needed throughout time."

"It's pretty much a long, intensive debate about the merits of Article 50." (He's joking here)

Regardless of that, it's rare to see a film score 10 on this site, so I look forward to it in due course.

What a lovely review Kumari - thanks for that. Good point about the CGI - as you say, it is excellent. The rendering was incredible and blended well with the live-action background (particularly with shadows, lighting etc). Top stuff.

Also, can I just say - best mid-credits scene ever!

It's a wonderful film and Kumari summed it up beautifully. Not to restart anything again but I too felt that there was nothing at all wrong with her comment.

My favourite film of the year.

You can now buy this to own on Prime Video and there's a UHD HDR streaming option, too.

Hoping to receive my 4K disc of this, today / tomorrow. Can't wait to see it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom