Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Film Review: Black Panther

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Casimir Harlow, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,534
      • Like Like x 6
      • Thanks Thanks x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. Skull n Bones

Skull n Bones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +677
      Thanks Cas, good review as always. Great film, almost lived up to the hype and really enjoyed it. But, as you say, seen it all before, Rocky style, and no real sense of threat, Marvel style, so a solid 7 for me. Onto the next one...

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    3. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +562
      Its exactly this reason I don't watch these movies any more. I know they are decent but they follow the exact same formula and every super hero seems to have the same quick snappy come backs as each other, Friends style. I find them as repetitive and dull as romantic comedies after seeing so many of them.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 3
      • List
    4. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,013
      Good review Cas and I agree with your point. Simultaneously different and yet also hugely derivative. I got Rocky III, Braveheart, Skyfall, Two Towers, The Lion King, Avatar and Tron Legacy [emoji4]

5. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +990
      Doesn't watch these films anymore yet comments on posters short review about film he has no intention of watching....

6. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +990
      I think 8/10 is the right score for this. Anything else and you're approaching Winter Soldier/Civil War/Avengers territory and this wasn't as good as those three.

Thinking about the film this morning and think I'm even more in awe of what they achieved in regards to the creation of Wakanda. Just the visuals of this fictitious country were just a sight to behold.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +312
      It would be a boring world if all we read were positive reviews. What's the problem? All opinions bring something to the table.

• Agree Agree x 13
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    8. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +200
      Great review, Cas! To borrow the title of a recent German film, it's definitely a case of Same, Same But Different. Visually stunning, fantastic production design, but it was clearly walking so many tightropes to get to the screen. I'm not familiar with Black Panther's comic book origins so it would be interesting to know if this is a good representation of the character and his canon. But apart from the ethnicity and setting, I struggled to see what was so new here. I think the film will resonate mostly with African-American audiences, those of a liberal persuasion and the out and out fans (That's not a criticism, by the way) and so not 'travel' as widely as other MCU films have done. None of which is to say I didn't enjoy watching it but I feel less need to revisit this one than previous outings. As you allude, the rinse and repeat formulaic tiredness is setting in and I am sort of longing for them to get to the final all-against-all-punch'em-up film so we can go home! And on a technical note, which could be just me, I had trouble understanding the dialogue on more than several occasions; not the accents, just the poor diction and lack of enunciation.

9. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +990
      I'm perfectly ok with reading a negative review from someone who has watched the film.

This was a post coming from someone who doesn't watch the films anymore so why even bother coming in the thread and make a comment in the first place?

10. Nobbler

Nobbler
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,264
      Maybe he was thinking "Oh - a review on Black Panther from Cas. I like his reviews and they're honest and to the point. I think I'll read that because maybe I might enjoy that one..."
      After all, free world...?

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    11. Nobbler

Nobbler
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,264
      And for what it's worth I watch them all 'cos my grandson would miss them if I didn't take him. I thrn buy them on Blu-ray - 2 copies...one for him :D Great review Cas - tickest booked for me and the wee man for Saturday lunchtime.

• Like Like x 4
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    12. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +200
      Dan201 makes a valid comment and gives his reasons why. He used to watch them, doesn't anymore and for the same reasons as Cas mentions in the review. I'm also getting jaded by these films' increasing lack of originality. It's why Deadpool gave me such a pick-up and I can't wait for the new one.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    13. crabby09

crabby09

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +151
      tbh... I am completely with stigdu and think he has a valid point. He's reading peoples responses to the film, weighing that up against his historic experiences and concluding that he doesn't have the impetus to watch this film. He hasn't even expressed an opinion as to whether other people should take his view or that opposing views are incorrect.

I was actually coming on here to say pretty much the same thing... My version being:

"Right now, I don't see how Marvel are going to bring me back to the cinema... I read the reviews and they all sound so similar that the only reason I can see to watch Marvel now is because we've watched so many of them that we are committed to it - like a relationship gone bad after many years. Until I see multiple people saying "Wow! That was a very fresh take on Marvel" I think I'm going to just let them pile up unwatched until it's done and I can get my kids in to it properly when we know if the end game was worth the hours and hours of a same film in a different skin."

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    14. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +184
      I'd say this was a lot more serious in tone than a lot of the other Marvel fare. This had the least amount of jokes/quips I could remember in a Marvel movie for sometime.

There were one or two funny moments:

The destruction of the Vibranium car and the drivers seat coming to a stop with Nakia still sitting at the wheel got the biggest laugh from me

Visually it was really quite different to other Marvel movies, largely thanks to the African influence. I'd agree the story line didn't particularly push the boundaries of the marvel template, it was all quite 'safe'. Despite his appearance in Civil War, it's sort of an Origin story for Black Panther.

Having said that, it all hung together well and there wasn't any obvious plot holes or any scenes/sequences that took me out of the movie. I did enjoy it

It's not at the top of the pile in terms of Marvel action sequences either. I don't know if it was my Cinema, but one of the opening scenes in Nigeria was very dark and it was hard to see what was going on.

Andy Serkis and Michael B Jordan were good villains - generally something Marvel struggles with. Serkis got more to do than Avengers: Age of Ultron. All the cast were really good actually...

8/10 is a fair score.

15. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,843
      Marvel do try different things, but because there's always a baddy to beat and a one liner to deliver, they're carbon copies not worth watching? Fair point I guess, not sure how they get out of that seeing as super heroes exist to fight super villians. Maybe infinity war will go dark..

I don't catch every marvel outing and share the same reservations, but I haven't abandoned the series simply because I enjoy most of them as a super hero fix and treat them as such. The recent DC offerings really haven't captured my interests.

Anyway, this sounds like a topic in itself. I'm hoping to catch Black Panther tonight, no high expectations other than it should be an enjoyable couple of hours.

16. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +990
      If I've made a choice not to see the films anymore, why would I come into a thread about a film I don't want to see to make a comment about it? To me, it's a waste of energy.

But I'm happy to be seen in the minority in regards to this.

I think your analogy is quite accurate to an extent. There does seem to be quite a lot of people now that are going just for the sake of going because they've watched the others. I go to the cinema, buy the Blu-rays and enjoy them because I'm invested in the Universe.

You would think that if your still having issues with Marvel/the MCU following the same structure, 18 films in and yet you're still going to go and watch them, then I can't help you I'm afraid. Me, I know what I'm getting when I go to one of these films and have been thoroughly entertained each and every time.

Yet I'm sure everyone will be there for Infinity War and end up saying the same things after that as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    17. Nativebon

Nativebon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +765
      I would give it a 7/10. It done really well till toward the end were the fights started to look supermanish and to much special effects. Over all I enjoyed it.

18. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +184
      To be fair to Marvel, Civil War didn't really have a 'Super villian'.

Just a normal man, whose family were killed in an Avengers battle, who then manipulated them to fight each other.

It did do something different.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    19. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +201
      Will there be a ‘Brown Tiger’ version with a Bollywood Indian Cast, as I feel a bit left out.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    20. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,843
      Agreed and nearly said as such, but you know, these things get overlooked when its instilled into the mind set that a new MCU film is associated with copy and paste..

21. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,013
      I'm fed up with James Bond films. It's always about a secret agent on a mission to stop a megalomaniac villain and there are always gadgets, girls and cars and quippy one liners. They always play it safe and keep the same tone and no-one ever says the f-word. There all the same. Which is why I preferred Brawl in Cell Block 99.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    22. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +772
      This is a good point and one that has been raised by multiple forum members. I remember when I first watched the teaser (which included said scene) on my phone, I couldn't make anything out, which I attributed to my screen settings, streaming quality etc.

However, I too found the shadow detail in that scene to be poor and wonder if more premium screenings (i.e. Dolby Cinema) are perhaps clearer - I'm not sure. Guess we'll find out once the UHD is released and see whether the HDR helps that scene.

Great review Cas and think you summarised the whole "same but different" feel of the film really well. Also 100% with you on the female roles in this film - this is what gender equality should look like - bravo Marvel.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    23. Mr-Mixalot

Mr-Mixalot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +188
      Watched it last night with the family and its a 8/10 for me, wife commented that it was OK but me and kids enjoyed it

Excellent visuals and the whole cast seemed to be ideal for the roles in which they were cast

The fact they showed the Infinity War trailer beforehand with Black Panther in it meant you knew he wasn't in any trouble when he took a swan dive ;)

24. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +932
      @lucasisking Not quite true. In Skyfall, about half an hour before the end of the film, when M and James Bond are alone in a room in Skyfall (James Bond's childhood home) M (the fabled Judi Dench) says, if I remember correctly, "I f***ed up, didn't I?"

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +984
      I am planning to take the kid to see it this Friday and was generally quite upbeat until I saw those 2 words that always depress me whenever they are mentioned in relation to any film.

they are 'Martin' and 'Freeman' like those 2 other awful words 'Jared' and 'Leto' why oh why do these 2 keep getting cast in films is a _)(*& mystery to me!

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    26. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +163
      Quote right, lucasking. When you go watch a marvel superhero film that is what you get. What's the issue? Enjoy the ride

27. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,046
      After Logan, these formula marvel efforts seem so soulless and vacuous. Everything is end of the world high stakes cgi at the expense of character engagement. They peaked at the terrific winter soldier. That said, this one seems to be a little fresher than other recent efforts so will probably catch it on disc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    28. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,046
      I don't agree. Accepting mediocrity isn't a good place to be. Why can't we ask for more?

29. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +163
      Agree that winter soldier was the peak, but Logan was a bore fest. I believed the hype and it was not exciting at all. I did buy the uhd so maybe I will watch again.
      And I do actually like slow moving and emotionally engaging films but Logan, to me, didn't know what it was trying to be. It just looked like a high production version of agents of shield.

30. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +163
      Black Panther is mediocre is it? I think you are getting confused between formulaic and mediocrity