Film Review: A Quiet Place

^ I'm sure if you were in the same situation you'd do everything perfectly Mr Grylls.
Well I wouldn't get my Mrs pregnant in a world where monsters which hunt by sound could kill me and my entire family at a moment's notice.

If you're gonna employ sarcasm, at least think it through.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't get my Mrs pregnant in a world where monsters which hunt by sound could kill me and my entire family at a moment's notice.

If you're gonna employ sarcasm, at least think it through.

Yep,
babies and giving birth
make lots of noise. Well spotted! If only the family (and the scriptwriters) had thought of that. Doh! ;)

Sarcasm aside, in your enthusiasm to call people 'dumb' you haven't necessarily thought things through either:
  • Do we know the family had access to contraception? The drugstore may all have been looted clean by other couples thinking along those exact lines.
  • Planned or unplanned, the couple were clearly smart (despite your assertion to the contrary) and would have discussed the risks of having another child at length. They clearly had all manner of precautions and measures in place including soundproofing the basement and the oxygen cradle.
  • The baby was intended to fill the void left by the dead child, and was a necessary part of the family's healing process.
  • There needn't be an immediate threat to the other kids. They could be safely sent away to another part of the farm or the waterfall for the duration of the birth; and if need be relocated for the entire duration of the baby's first noisy year. We see that the two kids are being trained for survival in the event that the adults are killed.
  • If people don't have babies then the human race goes, um, extinct. Kind of a big one that. The family were planning for the future and exploring strategies to not only survive, but to live and prosper. If the human race was doomed to live out its last generation like frightened mice, then what's the point in carrying on at all? Everyone may as well commit suicide.

Blunt was solid in this, elevates everything she's in, but i have to comment on the mother character and the couple's decision to...
.. have another child... i.e. why did she get pregnant?

Survival of the species and tribe, as our ancestors have done for centuries after disasters, wars and plagues in order to get us to dominance of the planet... It's quiet literally in our DNA to behave this way... ;)

It's kind of the point of the movie... The primacy familial and intergenerational bonds as survival instinct...

This is the anti-superhero movie... instead of loner-billionaire psychos as our protagonist heros aligned with a militeristic government to save the day (iron man, batman, Joker, Killmonger and other losers, etc...) we have a normal family in an existential scenario, similar to one faced by our anscestors for countless generations and they prevail due to their familial bonds... As our anscestors have in the past... :smashin:

This is what a strong woman has actually looked like throughout human history, not a roided up skinny girl with 'abs' and invariably some type of daddy issues (Tomb Raider, etc...) ... :D

The pregnancy is key to the movie in suspense as well as to the higher level themes and subtext of the movie... :cool:

It's great to see a life affirming sentiment in a movie when characters are faced with an existential crisis.... It's a change from the usual defeatest nihilism and fatalism in so many movies these days from the blockbusters to the prestige movies...

Also good to see homages to 80s horrors and thrillers without turning into an unintentional parody like last year's Stanger Things or It...

Also refreshing to see this type of movie without any nerds... Even the technically aware father is non-geek... A contemporary man who is not a manchild, nor psycho loser... Very rare in cinema :D

I like that the film starts so many hundred days into the event, without revealing anything about the event, the lead up to it, or how the 'things' got there etc, which leaves you wanting to know more.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Bits of it reminded me of The Village. It was also very moving, and as a parent the whole thing about protecting one's children resonated with me.

One thing that bothered me was how the creatures seemed to be able to freely walk in and out of the house without even needing to break down any doors... did the family ever close their doors, let alone lock them?

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Bits of it reminded me of The Village. It was also very moving, and as a parent the whole thing about protecting one's children resonated with me.

One thing that bothered me was how the creatures seemed to be able to freely walk in and out of the house without even needing to break down any doors... did the family ever close their doors, let alone lock them?
Maybe the family didn't use doors, since doors make noise...

A badass film. Proper badass. Not much can be said. Love genre films and while i've always had an appreciation for sound in cinema, this reinforced it's importance and power.

Pure cinema. Love it, mate.

Finally went to see this at the cinema yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's tense rather than scary, I was on edge all the way through and felt drained afterwards. I thought everyone in the film was great including the children who were very well cast. We didn't take food in with us for obvious reasons, there was only about 16 of us in the screening but still someone sitting near the front managed to eat something from the noisiest bag ever! Mentioned to my husband afterwards that we'd never survive in that world if we stayed in our house, the stairs are far too creaky. :laugh:

Mentioned to my husband afterwards that we'd never survive in that world if we stayed in our house, the stairs are far too creaky. :laugh:

When I got home the first thing I did was check my stairs for sticky out nails :eek:

Late to the party with this but really had fun with this tonight.

Plays perfectly on very natural fears that are often relatable with likeable characters!

Past couple of years feels like horror has actually finally had some quality offerings - and this fits in with that reinvention nicely.

Saw this yesterday evening. One of the last screenings at our local Showcase. Smallest screen, maybe 20 people... and two early 20's women sit next to me and eat and talk the whole way through it.

A couple of moments where I questioned what characters were doing but on the whole one of the best films I've seen in quite some time. Certainly the best film I've seen this year.

Finally went to see this at the cinema yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's tense rather than scary, I was on edge all the way through and felt drained afterwards. I thought everyone in the film was great including the children who were very well cast. We didn't take food in with us for obvious reasons, there was only about 16 of us in the screening but still someone sitting near the front managed to eat something from the noisiest bag ever! Mentioned to my husband afterwards that we'd never survive in that world if we stayed in our house, the stairs are far too creaky. :laugh:

Did you notice at the start of the movie (in the shop), there is a shelf full of untouched crisps. :D

I noticed what appeared to be a mason jar filled with nugs of weed
bobbing around in the flooded cellar. It bobbed against Emily Blunt's leg while she was trying to move through the water

Been meaning to do a review of this myself. I thought it was excellent. Not without it's faults certainly, but one of the best of it's genre for a long time.

Worked so well with the sound (and lack of) in the cinema too, I think you'd need a good sound set up at home to get the full experience.

Saw it. Loved it. Properly loved it. Day 1 4k purchase for me.

Just watched this on a US UHD release.

Wow....talk about intense!! This is an excellent film!

Great sound track and proper workout for my subs....literally felt my room moving!! Bass on this goes seriously low!

SmartSelect_20180904-195404_Facebook.jpg

:laugh:

We just finished watching it. Incredible suspense & totally loved it until the final "Fix".
Came across a bit too "OK let's go get these M***F***r's
I feel that the solution would have been found earlier.By the Military. I mean, blind Aliens with acute hearing - DUH!
But, as I say, truly captivated by this Film

Really late to this party but we really enjoyed it after going in pretty much blind to knowing anything about it; I didn't even know it was a horror lol; the sound design was amazing and the acting/story was great. Really intense in a good way. Loved the ending too. I see a sequel is already in the making.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom