Film Length

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It seems to me that commercial/blockbuster films are getting longer.
    For years there was always pressure from the studios to make films as short as possible so that more screenings could be put on per day, but now it seems that things are changing.
    Fellowship Of The Ring, Episode 2, Harry Potter & Spiderman to name a few were all well over two hours in length. This for me is good news as generally I prefer longer films, indeed a lot of my favourite films are around the three hour mark. I find myself frustrated at films which are around 90mins or so - MIB and X-Men come to mind - as there is not enough time tell a decent story IMHO.
    I am very much looking forward to the day I can sit and watch nine hours of Lord of the Rings on DVD! ;) :)

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think studios have seen that longer films can be as successful as the shorter 90-100 minute efforts. So are less likely to impose time limits on directors. Although we have still seen a dispute between Martin Scorsese and Harvey Weinerstien over the length of Gangs of New York.
    I used to be of the opinion that longer was better but now find that if a film is longer than two hours i am too drunk at the end to remember what happened.
    I also have a daughter and by the time she goes to bed it leaves only a couple of hours of watching time.
    I can also think of a few films that could have been trimmed by 20 or 30 minutes without plot or character devellopment suffering.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Films can be made longer nowadays as more are shown in Multiplexes that can give more than one screen over to the same film with staggered start times so pressure for repeat showings in a single screen cinema is a thing of the past.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is that too long and then we'll end up with flipper DVD's or film over two disks. Mind you we suffered this with LD.

They can make them as long as they like, just so long as they are out on DVD region 1 or 3 within 3 months.

nathan

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Lex. I am rapidly finding I am left "wanting more" after watching most 90 min movies. I think 2 or 2.5 hours is a good duration, although some movies that are longer are perfectly justified in being so. 90 mins seems to be used for animations and comedy flicks more than anything now - not such a bad thing :)

Nfordenfeld - We probably won't need to flip the disks over. A DVD-18 disk has dual layers on both sides, so we could have the movie on one side and the extras on the other. However, DVD-18 disks are not common yet, although one is available (The Stand). As movie times get longer, DVD-18 disks may become more commercially viable :)

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Once of a day if the film was about 90 minutes there was a an other film shown with it. I can even remember Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back on a double feature bill.

7. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My little bro made me sit through the whole trilogy once! I had such a saw bum at the end of it! :eek: :(

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Yes mine was aching after Lord Of The Rings, It is a shame there wasn’t an intermission, Quite a few I think had to go and relive themselves during the film.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garrett, you really gotta stop going to those X-rated cinemas :D

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Wash your dirty mind out with soap and water. In other words brain wash yourself.:D

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What's that. A bum with a saw stuck up it ?

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Are you applying for the job of the site spell checker.:rolleyes:

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the 'old days' I remember our local ABC cinema doing Friday night/Saturday morning horror bills, stuff like the first three Nightmare on Elm Street films, the first 3 Friday 13th, Halloween etc. Used to be really cool actually.

I agree with Lex's original post, for most films of any substance, I do tend to look for a running time of 100 to 120 minutes these days.

I think the shortest 'big' film I've seen recently was Halloween: H20 which was around 85mins long. The ending did seem very abrupt.