Film Four Scam!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boy Lex, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I got a phone call a few months ago from sky saying that they were calling about film four.

He said, 'I notice you're a Sky movies subscriber - we want to give you film four for free for a couple of months. Is that something you'd be interested in?'

I said, 'Sounds good.'

He said, 'Okay - you don't have to do anything it will become active for you in the next 15 minutes.' Then he said goodbye.

Lo and behold I was now getting film four.

Its a few months later and I've just been charged an extra £8.23 on my subscription. Phoned up sky and they said that it was for film four. So I told them that I'd never agreed anything about paying money for film four. They've cancelled film four, and will refund some money. Only thing is their system works in an odd way of calculating by the day etc. and I'm only being refunded 7 odd quid. So I'm a bit vexed that it's going to have cost me the price of a phone call and a quid because some telesales guy was being dishonest to boost his sales figures. I don't really care about the money - just that I feel like the guy's cheated.

I'm going to write to them, but I was curious if anyone else has been contacted by film four and misled.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Simply things a lot if all special offers and cold calling correspondence was followed up in writing.
    So you did get a couple of months free of charge and they started billing you for the third month onwards or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

3. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've been doing this one for a few years now. I was made the same offer a couple of years ago but before accepting asked what would happen at the end of the free period, i.e. would I actively have to cancel it to avoid being charged. Didn't half knock the wind out their sails. Not surprisingly I declined their offer.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    It is all standard telesales techniques - only tell them the good bits, attempt as far as possible to avoid questions that dont put you in a good light (though dont actually lie)

Many moons ago I used to do telesales for the SkyCare warrenty and the stock answer to "is the X covered?" was "Everything from the dish down to the box is" - most people were happy with this and assumed it ment what they were asking was covered when you hadnt actually answered their question.

Pleased to say that I no longer do telesales - the commission was awful (30p commission for each hard sale (credit card or adding to existing Direct Debit) over 3/hr with the call centre's average sales being just over 1/hr)

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes exactly.

I understand the pressures of commission on telesales (I did it myself for a day), but as far as I'm concerned this amounts to lying and is therefore inexcusable. Obviously the people doing the telesales have been doing it long enough to know that they will get away with it, and by the time it gets sorted, the problem won't be traced back to them.