• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Film Four Fans

Eye2007

Banned
Isn't Filmfour a brilliant new service for Freeview?

I mean road to Perdition. Notting Hill and Festival?

Hopefully we should have a sports channel in time.

Filmfour fans come here.

ianh64

I agree that Filmfour is a great coup for Freeview. Channel 4 seem to be great supporters of the Freeview platform - even hosting the demos/collections for the Freeview HD trials. They bought us E4 and More4 not so long ago to tick a few more boxes on my 'channel wish list'. Only Sky One and possibly some of the UK channels are left to tick but I doubt we will ever see these for free. Hopefully for sports fans, Santana sports will see they will get more money from advertising revenue rather than PPV.

Bat-man

I agree, it's great and i sent Channel 4 an email saying so.
I also pointed out to them how good it is to not have a screen logo on the chaneel during films.
Not sure about this, but is Film4 transmitting at higher bitrates than normal because the films I have watched on it appear to be quite good quality picture wise. :thumbsup:

Eye2007

Banned
I have renamed my channel name, MovieMax-Filmfour. Gives it a regal aspect to it.

I find that Film4 has done justice for Freeview. I know someone who was asking me about Filmfour a few months ago. They liked some of the films on there. Unfortunately they live in Harefield Middlesex and there is no coverage of Freeview. So they miss out.

Film4 films tonight;

Nottinghill
Wolf Creek.

Next week:

Green Mile(Set reminder for myself)

Shawshank Redemption!" Who likes this film? Never seen it myself but everyone I know says it is a good film.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Not watched Filmfour yet, but combine this and the already decent selection of channels on Freeview and you have a great (almost) free package. I just hope they can do a HD version in the not too distant future as Sky aint getting my $£€s.

EDIT - set Wolf Creek to record the other night, looking forward to it.

jameslindsey

Really miss sky one & sky sports though. I used to pay for these through Ondigital wonder if Sky will ever be interested in offering a pay service through freeview again?
For me unfortunatley Cable & satelite are not options:(

Eye2007

Banned
Nottinghill fans, shows tonight at 9PM. Set a reminder so you don't forget!

Next Tuesday, Greenmile and this Sunday, UK premier of Motorcycle Diaries. A must See.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
It's a shame that F4 has commercial breaks, but I suppose that's the reason why C4 has managed to get the chanel FTA. I think that C4 should be congratulated on their efforts, as indeed, they do seem to be a firm supporter of Freeview. All we need now is for E4 & More4 to become FTV on $ky.

I wonder if C4 have plans for E4+1 on Freeview? Right now, it does seem a waste of a channel. More4+1 transmuted into Film4, but other than a dedicated sports channel, I'm not quite sure what C4 could offer right now in place of E4+1.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas?

Clem

Eye2007

Banned
Clem_Dye said:
It's a shame that F4 has commercial breaks, but I suppose that's the reason why C4 has managed to get the chanel FTA. I think that C4 should be congratulated on their efforts, as indeed, they do seem to be a firm supporter of Freeview. All we need now is for E4 & More4 to become FTV on $ky.

I wonder if C4 have plans for E4+1 on Freeview? Right now, it does seem a waste of a channel. More4+1 transmuted into Film4, but other than a dedicated sports channel, I'm not quite sure what C4 could offer right now in place of E4+1.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas?

-----------------------------------------
i can see the use sometimes. I mean I find I need a break during a film and making a tea or topping up magnum bucket is in need.

The films look promising and their promise of a good movie at nine everynight should be kept. Adverts do get a bit tedious but without ads, Filmfour could never go free.

Five us and Five Life is launching in Autumn.

J.V

Standard Member
Eye2007 said:
Next week:

Green Mile(Set reminder for myself)

Shawshank Redemption!" Who likes this film? Never seen it myself but everyone I know says it is a good film.

Shawshank has got to be one of the best films ever made - def in my top 10 of all time...

Eye2007

Banned
bainsyboy said:
must admit havent watched a film on film four yet do they have adverts spoiling the films

Tonight I watched Notting Hill. Featuring well known actors. A typical british made film. It was funny and a good film. Friday or Saturday night at 11pm, Blair Witch Project! Watched it once and got sea sick on the sofa. Watched it again, all is well. I think the second one is better.

Now you don't need to pay a subscription service to recieve a movie channel. Sky have retaliated in their adverts against Filmfour by stating how Sky movies has no interruptions. I find the breaks an golden opportunity to make a cup of tea.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
J.V said:
Shawshank has got to be one of the best films ever made - def in my top 10 of all time...
Indeed, regulary been voted the best film ever by internet users. Words cannot express how good this film (seriously). You will know what I mean, when you watch it.

Dan Mac

Standard Member
Re: Shawshank Redemption

Singh400 said:
Indeed, regulary been voted the best film ever by internet users. Words cannot express how good this film (seriously). You will know what I mean, when you watch it.

Have to agree with Singh. It's a film you can come back to from time to time and enjoy almost as much (but not quite) as the first time you saw it.

C

callisto

Dan Mac said:
Re: Shawshank Redemption

Have to agree with Singh. It's a film you can come back to from time to time and enjoy almost as much (but not quite) as the first time you saw it.

Count me in as part of the Shawshank appreciation society as well :hiya:

Harj

I have to say, having F4 means I'm less & less likely to ever go back to Sky, though I miss the sports channels, mainly the cricket as I can always nip to the pub to watch a footie game, but cricket is longer!

We hardly ever watched sky movies when we had it, now since F4 has started we (me & Missus) have seen 2 Hitchcock films in the afternoon, Notting Hill, Lost In Translation, The Godfather (for the 100th time) all this in a couple of weeks.

I have to say the adverts are not too bad, not too long and at the moment, not spoiling the films at all, especially if you have already seen the film.

Harj

Put it this way, with bills going up all the time, how much longer can ppl justify paying £50 odd a month for Sky? I said earlier, I do miss the sport, cricket and boxing mainly, but all we need is a semi decent sports channel, and I can see two things happening.

1) Sky dropping prices.
2) Everyone going freeview.

The other thing I like about F4, is that you know on Sat, you are going to get a good old horror at eleven, reminds me of when I was young, the horror double bills on BBC, anyone?

ROYOLD

Its on channel 31 freeview. (Might still be listed as More4+1 - this is what its still listed as on my DMR-EH60D Panasonic dvd recorder).

Broadcasts the films daily between 3 p.m. and 3 a.m.

Dave

Distinguished Member
callisto said:
Count me in as part of the Shawshank appreciation society as well :hiya:

Me too, an excellent movie.:smashin:

Dead mans shoes is also superb. Classic british film shot on a tiny budget.

Channel 4 is like a god of television, if ITV want to know why they're going down the plug hole they should take a look at 4.

bawheid

I used to subscribe to film 4 through sky.

In it's early years it was a superb channel for foreign language and independent cinema that was hard to see anywhere else ( unless you lived near an arthouse cinema ).

Somewhere down the line they changed direction and the £5 sub was not justified so I ditched them.

It's good to see them support the freeview platform and give it a credible movie channel - TCM can't justify being on TopUpTv subscription (old movies - albeit classics - and ad breaks ).

Things are looking up for freeview and it's about time sky had decent competition so a big :thumbsup: for film 4.

spragger

Standard Member
ROYOLD said:
Its on channel 31 freeview. (Might still be listed as More4+1 - this is what its still listed as on my DMR-EH60D Panasonic dvd recorder).

Broadcasts the films daily between 3 p.m. and 3 a.m.

Cheers - for some reason it will not pick up on Freeview but I can get F4 on Sky

Could it be a weak signal/ crap aerial prob? Anyway I can manually tune it in?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom