1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

film collections-familiarity breeds contempt

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Seany boy!!!, May 8, 2002.

1. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have 4 dvds, 2 of which came with my 3 year old player the other is the matrix which Diane bought me, and there's somthing about mary. I love films i really do. But i don't like owning them, it spoils it for me some how. Absents makes the heart grow fonder, and for me that goes for movies to. So don't you think that once you've watched your dvd a few times, thats it? the love has gone when it's on tap.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sorry m8, but I don't agree.
    I now have over 400 disks and love to watch my favs time and time again.

Lost count how many times I've watch The Matrix/MIB/The Mummy/Apollo 13 and many others.
    I love movies and I love to watch movies that I enjoy.

3. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same goes for me. The fact that you can watch the films when you feel in a certain mood is brilliant. Instant access to all points of the film. Easy to settle arguments about nitpicking errors in films. Love it. Glad to see the back of VHS, cant wait for recordable DVD players. Drooool!:D

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Me too. There are some remarkable screenwriters out there, and much of the subtlety is often missed in the intensity of the action. Use of light, colour, music, and humour are all things that are appreciated with repeated watching. The director's art is in the attention to detail. A number of directors have whole scenes going on in the background which is missed on initial viewings.

Thank god for DVD ownership.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    For me,just simply buying DVD's to add to my collection is a pleasure(addiction) in its self. Watching them is a whole new pleasure. I know that this could be seen as rather sad,but i am sure there are plenty of people(particularly on this forum) that feel exactly the same.

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    seany boy I'm with you on that.

I cannot easily watch a film when I know what is happening in the next scene.

My collection of about 30 films is split between films I love (and I know I will watch once every 6 months when demoing) and films I hadn't seen but play.com was cheaper than the pictures.

I am not driven to buy films unforunately, which puts me at a disadvantage when trying to borrow films off friends.

btw - anyone know if lending DVDs to friends is infringing copyright ? (joke).

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must agree with you on that point.

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I own over 300 discs and have watched them all at least twice, my favorite in the collection are starting to get a bit wornout know, I watch scarface at least once a week:eek: and Carlito's way at least once a month, my two favorite films and I've had them since there release.

9. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to disagree with you but i find it hard.

I own almost 100 dvds and although i say to myself that i will watch them again one day, probably about 90% of them i won't. I've only watched a couple of them twice and some i havent even watched at all(i've seen them on vhs previously) :)

I suppose like someone else has said, i luv buying more and more dvd's and adding to my collection, plus admiring them on the shelf and rearranging them in various different orders from time to time (sad).

I find that if i look through the films i have, i find it hard bothering to put one on that i've seen before, But once i start watching i wonder why hadn't watched it sooner.

10. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lads i'm not trying to take anything away from your love of film, i love them myself. But 300 dvds!! thats not for me. not to say 300 dvds is to much or anything like that, but god thats some dough:)

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    You think you are sad Mine are in alphabetical order, yes I know I'm sad

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Collecting DVD's and arranging them and rearranging them on a shelf has as much to do with love of film as collecting stamps has to do with writing letters.

Obsessive compulsive is the medical term.

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I keep rearranging mine too. I change from Studio arrangemant to Director arrangement, depending on what mood I am in! :rolleyes: :blush:

I used to have a life, then they bought out DVD...

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I only collect what I consider a good film, trying to avoid so-called demo-DVDs or movies which are highly rated / awarded. If I don't like them what's the point of buying and keeping them.

In the time of VHS I never bought a movie, only rented but with DVD it's completely different though now I hardly buy new ones, have most in my collection and not many new (good) movies coming out. In case you wonder: I have about 75 discs only.

15. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm with you sean

in a sad way i sit in my cinema with all this technology and miss the old days .

i think back to the time befor video . the excitment there was on a saterday night when the film used to come on ITV

i have a few dozen dvds . i have watched them when i got them and that's about it . i love films . i would rather watch a film than anthing , it's just when you can watch a film whenever you want to it becomes dull in some way . there are a few exception but not manny .

more often i tend to watch the sky film channels . i just go from one film to the next . can't wait till i get my sky+ this week so i can get DD :D

years ago i built up a masive collection of videos . then one day i worked out how much i had paid for them and how much they were now worth . to cut a long story short , i stopped buying videos

16. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm going the opposite way to movie channels. They continuously repeat movies and i would only watch certain ones anyway. To me movie channels are only worth it to use as a preview for dvds that you may buy.

I'm not so sure about recordable dvd. I was looking forward to this, but the wreckless copying of cds has lead me to worry. I have had people ask me the question of "can you copy dvds?". I buy dvds of films I like and I want the authentic product as a collector of dvds. If Joe Bloggs starts to be able to copy dvds it may make it worse for legitimate users. Movie companies will put less extras and effort into dvds if an excess of people are copying movies. I realise there is copy protection on the dvd recorders, but it's the thought of what will happen to us if they get around it start making copies.

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I just buy the films I like the look/sound of. Building up a collection is all part of the fun, only drawback can be deciding which one you want to watch again & spending half an hour going thru them!!

"Do I watch this?, or that??" etc etc

DVD´s also dont take up anywhere near as much space as Videos do so you can cram loads more into your shelves!!

18. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can see both sides here. on the one hand it is true that if you have instant access to a film it makes it less special to watch than if you had to wait for it to come on the tv. having said that it will usually be shown in pan and scan with the news in the middle of it which ruins it anyway. or if you watch it on sky your box will end up crashing in the middle.
    the proof of the pudding in my case is the fact that i own 600 dvds now, being without my favourite films would be very difficult for me.
    it is also easier for me to but a dvd from play at 7.99 and keep it than to go and rent a video for 3.00 which i would have to return

19. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think price is a good point here. When you think rental is normally around £3.00 anyway and you can now pick up new DVD's for a tenner or under then you only have to watch them a few times before you've got your money's worth anyway.

20. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just not for me. I would also never ever, buy a dvd without at least seeing it a the movies, or renting it first. Try before you buy is my moto;)

I also think that flicking through sky movie max, because you've seen everything, is just the same as owning dvds. But that's just me

21. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately my domestic situation prevents me from visiting the cinema very often, this is probably why i buy so many dvds. i have a relatively expensive home cinema set up to attempt to recreate the cinema experience.
    however most of my cinema visits are stressfull ones due to people talking, eating, talking on mobile phones and visiting the toilet every 10 minutes

22. Slug Bait

Slug Bait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mcmullanbrush,

Your reply is irrelevant. The question was "Why do people buy so many DVD's instead of renting them"

23. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am still somewhat curious about why it is possible to buy music CD's and listen to them literally hundreds of times - yet for films I very very rarely watch a film more than once every six months - and many films I would never want to watch again, even though they were reasonably enjoyable first time round.

Why is this? I know what is going to happen next on most of the CD's but that doesn't spoil the enjoyment. If I know what happens next on a film, I find it hardly worth the bother watching.

I suppose for a CD you are just using your ears whereas for a film the director has done the thinking for you and sticks his interpretation in front of your eyes.

Dave48

24. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slugbate
    please let me know where you got the idea from that this thread was called "why do people buy so many dvds instead of renting them"

25. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While that's not the name of the thread, it is what i'm getting at mate. Not going to the cinema is no reason to have hundreds of dvd's, as your only likely to see a film at the flicks once. And nothing in my opinion, matches up to seeing a film at the cinema. where would you rather see ATOC? surely the best place to see it is the flicks?. But one man's meat...

26. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agee the best place to see a film is at the cinema which is why i made my earlier point about cinemas. as for atoc?? if you mean the new star wars film then no thanks mate
    i made reference to cinemas in response to your earlier comment about seeing before you buy

27. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not having a go mate;) enjoy your films:)

28. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well in that case sean, give us a big kiss

29. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :kisses: :blush:

30. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Often the cost of one DVD = two rentals.

Swapping around with mates.

I watch quite a few more than once.