Film 2011 not allowed to review a film ?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was watching this last night and they said they werent allowed to review the film Hugo because of the way they reviewed the rum diary in a previous episode. very strange i thought because i didn't think there review of rum diary was particularly harsh not harsh as it could have been.

this might not be the first time this has happened because not sure they reviewed in time either. where does this leave a movie review show they can't review all the movies? and how ridiculous of a film studio to choose who they do and who they don't want to review a movie.

This show has really bombed... To be fair since Barry Norman left, for me there were only two other people who could do that show as well, Alex Cox or Mark Kermode.

I have to agree. It's a shadow of it's former self with Winkleman sharing review duties with that other dude. It's now less a review show and more a cozy dinner table conversation piece aimed at Independent reading townies who would like to believe that they are pseudo intellectuals.

3/10 from me. :laugh:

I have to agree. It's a shadow of it's former self with Winkleman sharing review duties with that other dude. It's now less a review show and more a cozy dinner table conversation piece aimed at Independent reading townies who would like to believe that they are pseudo intellectuals.

3/10 from me. :laugh:

Oh dear...I quite like it myself. :blush: I recorded last night's show so I'll watch it later to see what they said.

Still trying to gauge their taste...I used to find that if Barry Norman liked something, then I didn't and visa versa. Probably that I was much younger at the time, but the system worked for me. :)

Always hated the show, even with Barry Norman, boring and stuffy as hell... give me a Mayo & Kermode Podcast any day.

Don't normally watch it but caught it last night when channel hopping because they had a review of The Thing prequel.

I too, thought it was very odd about Hugo. I'd not heard the review about the other film (Rum Diary - never heard of it), but I think it may have done more damage than good. This is how I interpretted it given my ignorance of either film and not having seen the review, but with the knowledge that Film 20xx has never been that harsh or unjust.

"Rum Diary must have got slated in the review. The studio must think that Hugo is an equally poor film so will get slated aswell. So don't want Film 2011 to have the chance to review it"

In summary I took away the perception that Hugo is a bad fim.

Cheers,

Nigel

How Barry Norman must rue the day he left the BBC for Sky. He lasted 5 minutes there.

Winkleman is bloody awful, resembles a hyperactive panda always wanting the last word and has awful presenting skills. She's the Kay Burley of the BBC.

I'm pretty certain old Barry would still be hosting the show had he not jumped ship!

Smacks of censorship. If a film is bad and they aren't allowed to say its bad, what else would you call their enforced lack of comment. So much for the BBC being independant, fair etc etc. Just as crooked and rotten as the rest of the establishment.

This show has really bombed... To be fair since Barry Norman left, for me there were only two other people who could do that show as well, Alex Cox or Mark Kermode.

I miss Moviedrome :(

Every Sunday night as a teen watching the latest masterpiece I'd never heard of! What a show :smashin:

Smacks of censorship. If a film is bad and they aren't allowed to say its bad, what else would you call their enforced lack of comment. So much for the BBC being independant, fair etc etc. Just as crooked and rotten as the rest of the establishment.
I'd agree with you if there had been a cover-up, and they just quietly ignored it in the hope no-one would notice, but if they announced they had been forbidden from reviewing it, how does that make the BBC crooked?

I miss Moviedrome :(

Every Sunday night as a teen watching the latest masterpiece I'd never heard of! What a show :smashin:

Ah that was it! I've been trying to remember what that was. I also remember if fondly - warm summer evening - in the bedroom watching him introduce, then watching something great. Excellent stuff.

How Barry Norman must rue the day he left the BBC for Sky. He lasted 5 minutes there.

I think he foresaw his future as onion-shaped rather than pear-shaped (which it didn't turn out to be anyway). I love the bit on the recipes page there which states that "Adding four or even six Barry Normans special, spicy onions in place of ordinary onions to favourite everyday dishes brings a remarkable tasty edge" as if five is simply no good at all. It's four or six or don't bother :laugh: "Remarkable" :rotfl:

Mike.

"Adding four or even six Barry Normans special, spicy onions in place of ordinary onions to favourite everyday dishes brings a remarkable tasty edge"

And, in a sense, why not?

Yes I know he never said it :p

I think he foresaw his future as onion-shaped rather than pear-shaped (which it didn't turn out to be anyway). I love the bit on the recipes page there which states that "Adding four or even six Barry Normans special, spicy onions in place of ordinary onions to favourite everyday dishes brings a remarkable tasty edge" as if five is simply no good at all. It's four or six or don't bother :laugh: "Remarkable" :rotfl:

Mike.

Hahaha, that is brilliant. I had no idea!

The show is truly awful now. I still watch it but have never been able to understand how Winkleman got the job. She clearly knows nothing about film. She comes across as the clueless idiot laywoman and the other guy is the movie geek. It doesn't work, as someone said above, Winkleman likes to have the last (annoying) word.

I prefer the Little picture show with Mariella Frostrup from years ago. I can't watch Film 2011 now. The impression of it on the Impression show is spot on.

I'd agree with you if there had been a cover-up, and they just quietly ignored it in the hope no-one would notice, but if they announced they had been forbidden from reviewing it, how does that make the BBC crooked?

also, on Five Live this Friday...

Martin Scorsese talks about his new film Hugo. Plus the week's reviews and UK top 10

Do internal beeb departments have exclusives?

The Vue Film Show on CH4 with Edith Bowman is better than Film 2011. By a longgggggggggg way.

Currently on season 2. Forget what day it's on.:facepalm:

The Vue Film Show on CH4 with Edith Bowman is better than Film 2011. By a longgggggggggg way.

Currently on season 2. Forget what day it's on.:facepalm:

Never heard of that. What time of the night do they hide it at ?

werent allowed to review the film Hugo because of the way they reviewed the rum diary in a previous episode.

Crooked as in not playing with a straight bat. Of course they are allowed to review a film. They are a public service, paid for by almost every household in the country. If they don't provide an independant service because they bend to outside pressures, then they are open to accusations of being as crooked and rotten as the rest of 'The Establishment'.

So it's a broad brush with which I sweep today, but there you go.

Of course, if the BBC was prevented from pre-viewing rather than re-viewing a film, then that is somewhat different.

Of course, if the BBC was prevented from pre-viewing rather than re-viewing a film, then that is somewhat different.

Yes it will be that they were not sent an advance version to review, which of course is well within the rights of the distributor. They can't prevent them going to the cinema to see it then writing about it. Of course journalistically there's not much point.

I imagine that's what they meant. They were not provided a copy of the film so they could do a review. In effect "we don't want you to do a review of our film".

Smacks of censorship.

Yes it will be that they were not sent an advance version to review

I imagine that's what they meant. They were not provided a copy of the film so they could do a review.

So, pre-view, not review.

I'm sure there is a good play on words revolving around having a p and not having a p, but I can't get it to work! :p

Yesterday was the first time I have seen it with Winkleman although I was aware before that she hosted it.

But I was struck by her presentation. For one there was the annoying and frequent laugh. But the main thing is that she didn't seem to add anything except her vague personal opinion. It was like the response I would get if I asked my wife whether she like a film.

Expressions like "I liked it", "It was nice" - especially when she was talking about the French chocolate factory film.

It seemed to be left the guy to do the actual reviews and add reasoned comment.

I'd have been quite happy for him to present to programme on his own.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom