• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

File Sync Software

Porcelain Gods

Novice Member
I am looking for some software that can automatically sync my music files from a USB drive to a NAS.

At the moment I rip all my CD's to a USB attached drive but then manually copy them across to the NAS that my Sonos uses for music playback. I would like to be able schedule this to happen automatically. In addition I would like the software to recognise any changes to existing files (i.e. addition of embedded album art) and be able to copy these changes to the NAS. Does anyone know of some software that can do this.

Thanks.

SteveO

Novice Member
What OS are you using?

Porcelain Gods

Novice Member
Hi StevO

I am using OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on both a mac mini & a powerbook. Is it possible to do this with an automator action?

Thanks.

Porcelain Gods

Novice Member
Thanks Tenex,

I'll have a look at the links you posted and see what I can do with automator. I have never really used it before so I am not sure how much success I'll have.

Tenex

Novice Member
It can appear daunting but its all very logical and you can create copies of data so that you want to practice writing the script. Have fun.

Tenex

Novice Member
Have a look on 43folders.com, they regularly get into sync software and I think the conclusion last time was that a freeware app the name of which escapes me, was the best.

Think it was RSync, but not sure.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
bump.

As I have just bought a macbook, I've been looking into this. It doesn't seem like anything gives you a foolproof solution?

Am I best to just use IMAP for keeping email up to date, a spot of .mac syncing of address book etc, and then for music/videos just pop them on a NAS and let both machines access them separately? I don't expect to use either machine outside of the house

Tenex

Novice Member
I've been looking into this for ages and as you say there's nothing that's foolproof. IMAP is certainly the way forward. If you're not using either outside home it sounds like you have everything covered.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom