File structure within R4DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by G a f f e r, Apr 25, 2007.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Hello.
    My R4DS has shipped and should be here soon :thumbsup:.

Unfortunately, imo the r4ds.net site didn't explicitly mention where to put certain things, so I need some help here please......namely:

Themes:
    Some people suggest placing the themes/skins into the root of the microSD, others say put it into the _system_ folder, yet others say place them inside the existing theme01-12 folders.

My plan is to get 12 themes (which I've now done :)) and place them into the existing 12 theme folders within "_system_--->Themes".

Will this work? Will I be able to manually switch between them? (or are they restricted to the month?)

Emulators:
    I've downloaded FrodoDS. This is a C64 emulator.
    The .d64 files will be in a folder in the root of the card called rd (as per instructions).
    Where do I stick the frodods.nds file?
    Not mentioned in either the R4 nor the Frodo site.
    How do I launch the emulator?
    My plan is to place this within another folder called "frodoDS" in the root of the card, but will I be able to access it from within the R4DS menu?

In fact, this goes for any homebrew. How do you launch it if you're already within the R4DS main screen?

Web Browsers:
    Any suggestions on GPL / open license web browsers that work well and work with the R4DS? If it saves me buying the official DSlite Opera Browser (which I've heard is terribly slow) then it's a bonus.

Sorry for all the Q's, but I can't find this specific info anywhere :(

Thanx

2. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    31 views and no one on this forum knows :eek:

Thanx anyway :smashin:

3. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I certainly dont !

Ive ordered one myself im planning to use the Scumm emulator on it at well as............................... SNES emulator with full mouse function for civ !!!!!

My prayers for a DS civ have been almost answered !!!

You use the touchscreen as well, you not waving some 'mario hand' aorund the screen.

Praise be to Jesus and all the other Xmen !

Check out the video maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
    http://www.snemul.com/ds/

4. hongkonguk

hongkonguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I got mine on tuesday (so new to it myself) but what I did was download the updated firmware off the r4 site then extracted this to the new memory card. Inside the themes folder I changed the default pictures for one I like (only want/need one so I did this for all 12 theme folders (as I couldn't find an option to change it manually-could be wrong mind).

Not downloaded an emulator yet but that snes one looks great!

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Well, I got mine today :thumbsup:

Here are the answers to most of my Q's :D

Themes: They have to be placed into the Themes01 -12 sub folders. This means that as present, you can only have 12 themes to switch between.....but that's more than enough I think :)

Web Browsers: Apparently DSlinux has a web browser included and that does the job. I haven't installed it as yet.

Homebrew: There is a problem with homebrew. It usually needs to be patched to allow it to run off the R4DS/M3Simply. You can get patchers off the net for free.
    For mac, i use a drag'n'drop droplet that patches any homebrew to run with many cards.....its called DLDI drop and the link takes you to the download page.

Once patched, the homebrew should now run fine (Insomniac & HongKongUK, this is the only one available for the mac, but there are LOADS available if you're a Win person......download the emulator you want, patch with a patch tool and away you go).

HOWEVER, there is a problem with FrodoDS in particular in that it searches for the folder rd (in which you've stored your .d64 files). The problem is that the R4 cart lists the folder as RD......not rd. I think it's a problem with FAT16 that the microSD card is preformatted with. Putting the card into the mac and the Terminal brings it up as rd (correctly), as does the command prompt in Windows.

I'm searching for a fix for this but until then, Commodore 64 homebrew will have to wait :(

EDIT: It WORKS <Yaaaay>. The dldi patcher I used wasn't patching correctly. Here is a correctly patched FrodoDS emulator for use with M3simply and R4.

Works really really well.....aaaaaah the C64 memories of youth come flooding back :D